Late Night Trip to the ER

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 11-year-old wasn't feeling well two nights ago; she had nausea but never threw up. She was okay yesterday, but late last night she got the nausea again. The scariest thing is she also got these "hits" of dizziness, and had to stuck her breath in really deep and fast to feel better. Then she started shaking with tremors although she wasn't cold and didn't have a fever. She got really really scared (first time for that, too) so we called BC Nurses hotline and the nurse said to take her to the ER because of the combination of symptoms.

At the ER she was checked over by three people (a nurse, a med student, and a doctor) and nobody could figure out what was wrong. They took her blood pressure and temperature, and examined her abdomen. They also did a blood sugar test for good measure. She hasn't had diarrhea, hasn't thrown up. The doc said she is not getting dizzy from low blood pressure since taking in air would make it worse not better.

After being at the ER for a couple of hours (why does it always take so long) and watching a woman there being restrained while totally and completely freaking out... daughter's temp was up a little bit, just above normal, so the staff came to the conclusion that she is coming down with a bug.

She doesn't have so much nausea today but still the waves of dizziness, and she is achy and feels unwell. I'm keeping a close eye on her (I'm pretty sleep-deprived and can't think right) and am wondering if anybody has a guess what might be going on?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was did they check her ears for an ear infection. If the infection is in the middle or inner ear it's hard to see unless they are specifically looking for it. It can cause dizziness and nausa and can make you basically miserable. I went through it once, and it was terrible and very hard to diganose because, at least with me, it didn't come with a fever showing there was an infection at all.

I hope she feels better soon!!

Edit: oh, it got worse when I laid down or lowered my head. If she was fine while she was up and about, but got worse at night (ie after she laid down) that is also a sign.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They could be right. Waiting to see will be difficult.

A really off the wall possibility. What age do the women in your family first get their periods? There could be a slim chance that's happening (if she hasn't started hers yet) and the changing hormones are making her sick.

As mentioned in another thread there are several types of migraines, abdominal migraines don't have typically have a headache component.

Otherwise thats rather vague. That she gets to feeling better or you can figure out whats going on soon so she can get treatment.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of when I was having a hard time in school a few years ago, took too many classes and I was feeling like what you describe all the time because I was extremely stressed, wasn't getting any sleep, was taking wayy too much caffeine and was over eating from stress as well, and I had an electrolyte imbalance because of the combination of bad eating and drinking. I was always either nauseaus, dizzy or shivering and my heart rate was up. I went to the doctor, my temperature was up just above normal and my hear rate was super fast when they measured it. Just to be safe they did blood tests, thought I might have hyperthyroidism due to fast heart rate but other than that didn't do anything. As soon as things calmed down I was back to normal. Is your daughter under any stress? Is she drinking enough water? How bad were symptoms?? I mean they must have been really bad if you had to go to the ER..At 11, she could be more stressed than an adult can imagine- small problems can appear huge when you are that young. But I'm sure you already know that since you're a parent lol. It's quite shocking to me because I am normally not around kids...
for her to feel better soon!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ut0pia - Just to let you know, one of the first things they check you for in an ER when you come in sick with no reasonable explanation is CBC, blood sugar, and electrolyte panel.
Though you're not wrong about electrolytes. Not surprisingly a lot of people that do come in the ER feeling sick do have a problem with potassium - if only a slight one. One of the times I was in the hospital last year my doctor was actually talking about it, he was beginning to wonder if the lab was messing up due to the number of patients showing low levels.
I suspect one reason for it is common diet in my region.

Is she feeling any better today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys for the support and suggestions.

Last night wasn't very good, it was the exact same stuff that she had the night before when we took her to the ER. I think she's also having anxiety now - the dizziness (it's lightheadedness, not spinning) really freaks her out. Three times when she was falling asleep last night she got hit with the dizziness and the sucking in of air jolted her back awake.

So I gave her a low dose of children's Gravol (dimenhydrinate) and that finally helped her get to sleep. I slept in her room last night on her beanbag chair (sometimes I don't like her loft - it is really difficult to check up on her).

I'm going to take her to her doctor's office Thursday or Friday, whenever we can get in, if she's not much much better by tonight!

What it might be:

1. ear infection: they didn't check for that at the ER, although thinking back husband mentioned that, too, on the drive to the hospital! Definitely should be checked out, thanks!

2. hormones: another great possibility, thanks! I have hormone imbalances that cause nausea and dizziness, and she is at the average age of menarche.

3. abdominal migraines: never heard of this but will definitely check into it!

4. electrolyte imbalance: another great idea, thank you, will mention this to the doctor!

The ER did not do a CBC because daughter started freaking out (it didn't help that that woman was screaming and wigging out and being restrained). She was really, really scared and the staff decided to wait and do the CBC only if it was really warranted (so they didn't).

Her doctor might want to, though, I'm working on relaxing breathing techniques with her and we are going to do yoga together today. The anxiety over this is making it worse, I think.

I really appreciate the responses, thank you so much!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought as well was anxiety, poor girl! The hormone theory could be contributing to it as well. Along with the medical follow-up, I think you're on the money taking her to yoga, etc. It sounds like you all have a very open communication, so I'm sure if she can identify the source of her anxiety (she may not be able to, and this still may not be anxiety), she'll be able to talk it through.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know they didn't get a chance to take any blood. Has she had blood drawn before? If not, you've had it done plenty, and could probably prepare her for what to expect.

Hopefully they'll use a small gauge with her being a child (it also hurts less).

When I thought of hormones I was definitely thinking of your problems with them! I hope she doesn't take after you in that way in the slightest.
I have a lot of similar health problems to my mother...I'm waiting for thyroid issues to pop up eventually.

The lightheadedness, nausea, and breath catching could all be related to the parasympathetic nervous system, but so many things can cause it to "rev up".

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Virus manifest themselves in many ways so she could just be getting or have a flu bug of some kind.

My sister went into the ER a couple of weeks ago with similar symptoms and she actually fainted in the middle of the examination. They were very concerned about her blood pressure, and ran a ton of tests on her. They found nothing.
They kept her in overnight for observation then sent her home, she felt quite ill an dizzy for a couple of days then it just went away. Since then she has had no symtoms at all and feels fine.

Keep and eye on her and your fingers crossed that it is just a flu bug

Lot's of vibes coming her way.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

My first thought as well was anxiety, poor girl! The hormone theory could be contributing to it as well. Along with the medical follow-up, I think you're on the money taking her to yoga, etc. It sounds like you all have a very open communication, so I'm sure if she can identify the source of her anxiety (she may not be able to, and this still may not be anxiety), she'll be able to talk it through.
I've discovered that she reads aloud as a relaxation technique, so I'm going to ask her to read to me tonight.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

I didn't know they didn't get a chance to take any blood. Has she had blood drawn before? If not, you've had it done plenty, and could probably prepare her for what to expect.

Hopefully they'll use a small gauge with her being a child (it also hurts less).

When I thought of hormones I was definitely thinking of your problems with them! I hope she doesn't take after you in that way in the slightest.
I have a lot of similar health problems to my mother...I'm waiting for thyroid issues to pop up eventually.

The lightheadedness, nausea, and breath catching could all be related to the parasympathetic nervous system, but so many things can cause it to "rev up".
Oh gosh, I had to stop looking up stuff on the web when I came across that. Definitely going to ask her doctor about that, though.

She doesn't remember having blood drawn once when she was little. She's been with me lots of times when I've had it done, and I'm calm about this stuff, but she has a BIG fear of needles.

Originally Posted by tierre0

Virus manifest themselves in many ways so she could just be getting or have a flu bug of some kind.

My sister went into the ER a couple of weeks ago with similar symptoms and she actually fainted in the middle of the examination. They were very concerned about her blood pressure, and ran a ton of tests on her. They found nothing.
They kept her in overnight for observation then sent her home, she felt quite ill an dizzy for a couple of days then it just went away. Since then she has had no symtoms at all and feels fine.

Keep and eye on her and your fingers crossed that it is just a flu bug

Lot's of vibes coming her way.
That's very comforting, thanks so much!

Tonight I'm going to keep a chair by her loft, then I can just step up to check on her! My tired foggy brain is still working a bit!

She's in her "nest" on the sofa, just had half a banana, toast, and chamomile tea and she's playing Animal Crossing.
I'm going to steam an artichoke for her for dinner - pushing that potassium.

5. virus: conclusion of ER staff

6. parasympathetic nervous system: not going there yet

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the PNS isn't a reason just part of the nervous system. Whenever anything is wrong; fever/virus, electrolyte imbalance, metabolism issues, hormone problems, etc it can get a little out of sync with the sympathetic nervous system and you can get lightheadedness, bad nausea, fainting and such as a side effect.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, good, I think I was looking at problems with the autonomic nervous system? It got pretty scary and my husband told me to stop looking up stuff on the web , lol.

What it might be:

1. ear infection

2. hormones

3. abdominal migraines

4. electrolyte imbalance

5. virus: conclusion of ER staff

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt has Vertigo from an inner ear issue.. her symptoms sound similar. It may be worth checking into.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what it might be but I hope she starts feeling better soon! ER trips are stressful! That she feels better soon