How often do you change your passwords?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious how often people change their passwords for their computers and websites. I admit, I'm VERY bad at remembering to do it. My email account has had the same pw for the last 4 years. Of course, I really don't conduct business of anykind through email so if someone wants to have into it and read all the forwarded jokes and spam I get, more power to them. The only real pw I ever try to change (when I remember) is paypal. DH is in charge of the online bank accts and he changes them regularly.

Now, at work, we have to change passwords every 30 days, and it is such a pain!! I have 5 programs I have to open up, not including just basic logging into the computer itself, and they all have to be different, all have to include at least 1 number or letter, can't use repeating numbers and the letters can't spell a word. Oh, they they can't be consecutive (ie abcd or 1234, etc). It drives me crazy!! I think it's stupid to go to that length for security when people usually have to write them down to remember them anyway.
I guess that's why I convienently don't "remember" to change mine at home.

Anyway, just curious as to what other people do.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
unless the site makes me or I have a reason to, I never change my password
I have a hard enough time trying to remember the ones I have

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Same. I actually stopped going to a forum because between my computer issues and their server issues I couldn't log on. They had a crash and some issues with corruption (both software and human) that set the forum back three months. I just got frustrated with bothering.

I'm terrible at remembering passwords, I have to write them down. For some reason I can memorize practically everything else.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Just curious how often people change their passwords for their computers and websites. I admit, I'm VERY bad at remembering to do it. My email account has had the same pw for the last 4 years. Of course, I really don't conduct business of anykind through email so if someone wants to have into it and read all the forwarded jokes and spam I get, more power to them. The only real pw I ever try to change (when I remember) is paypal. DH is in charge of the online bank accts and he changes them regularly.

Now, at work, we have to change passwords every 30 days, and it is such a pain!! I have 5 programs I have to open up, not including just basic logging into the computer itself, and they all have to be different, all have to include at least 1 number or letter, can't use repeating numbers and the letters can't spell a word. Oh, they they can't be consecutive (ie abcd or 1234, etc). It drives me crazy!! I think it's stupid to go to that length for security when people usually have to write them down to remember them anyway.
I guess that's why I convienently don't "remember" to change mine at home.

Anyway, just curious as to what other people do.
Ugh I remember those days. LoL We need two different ones to login to the system. I had DH generate passwords at work for me

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I also stick with my old password. I should really change it since it means nothing to me. It used to be rated as a very secure password but now it is rated weak. Just can't think of a one that I can remember.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I try to keep them all similiar.... some things won't allow me to use my "nomral" password, so i have a second one to use in those cases. The second one is much more secure than the usual one.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit I am pretty bad about this. I use the same password all over the place. However for anything important like banking, or on-line payment accounts I do change my password about once a month but alternate between about 3-4 different ones so if I forget I can usually come up with it on my second or third guess.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the same password for everything
I would forget if I ever changed it. If i wrote it down I would loose what I wrote it down on.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the same password for everything - well a series of 3 except my eftpos card/bank details, they are different. Which reminds me just another thing I've got to do these holidays

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not often at all. I use insanely long passwords that are a combination of numbers, capital letters and small letters and if the site allows, symbols too.