Random Thoughts

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A thread about the completly inane stuff that travles through our (or at least mine) brains during the course of a day:
Sock lint sucks
Bugs, are they happy in their short life?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I'm not sure insects have emotions, even basic ones.
Though they can feel pain, respond to it, and learn from it to some degree.

What I'm thinking at the moment, and maybe someone can help. Has anyone ever had two (or more) songs stuck in their head at the same time? It actually sounds like two songs being played to me, not a back and forth.

Well I was reading somewhere that due to how the brain recalls information that it's not really possible to remember two memories at once. But what are remembered songs but a type of memory?

...This is actually one of my more simple random thoughts. I'm usually always theorizing about something!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While at Fleet Farm today (the Wisconsin residents know this store I hope). I commented to the cashier that where could one buy small cylinders of propane (for my weed torch), potato chips (on sale!) vegetable seeds and canning lids all in the same place?

She probably thought I was a bit odd!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Sounds like the local farm supply store I often shop at.
They also sell jaw harps.... (how's that for random?)

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^I'm not sure insects have emotions, even basic ones.
Though they can feel pain, respond to it, and learn from it to some degree.

What I'm thinking at the moment, and maybe someone can help. Has anyone ever had two (or more) songs stuck in their head at the same time? It actually sounds like two songs being played to me, not a back and forth.

Well I was reading somewhere that due to how the brain recalls information that it's not really possible to remember two memories at once. But what are remembered songs but a type of memory?

...This is actually one of my more simple random thoughts. I'm usually always theorizing about something!
Gee, thanks! Now I do have 2 songs running threw my head! I have to switch stations in order to sing the correct words but I can hear the two of them at once, you know, like when you are losing one station and picking up another one.

So, my random thought is not so random because I am thinking about memories. I have smellovision memories, like I can smell Old Spice when I think about my Uncle Karl. Any one else have smelly memories?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

So, my random thought is not so random because I am thinking about memories. I have smellovision memories, like I can smell Old Spice when I think about my Uncle Karl. Any one else have smelly memories?
Lots of people do (or so I hope).
That's your olfactory memory at work. The olfactory nerve is fairly close to the amygdala so it's not uncommon for there to be emotional memories linked to a particular smell or memory of a scent.

I have a fairly good olfactory memory, and often for things I wish that I didn't remember the smell of. The only upside is that I can usually pick out name spices used in foods just by smell it.

And yep, random thoughts and more reading on the amygdala the other day led to me having the answer to this one.

ETA: Dug through my bookmarks from the other day. This should be easy enough to follow http://www.macalester.edu/psychology...ll/memory.html

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And yep, random thoughts and more reading on the amygdala the other day led to me having the answer to this one.
Amygdala sounds like a beautiful name for a cat, maybe Nova would like to be called my little amygdala.

I ate hot cheese, and wonder if it'll make me sick.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

While at Fleet Farm today (the Wisconsin residents know this store I hope). I commented to the cashier that where could one buy small cylinders of propane (for my weed torch), potato chips (on sale!) vegetable seeds and canning lids all in the same place?

She probably thought I was a bit odd!!
Walmart!!

A lot of smells bring back memories or feelings for me. The most powerful is the scent of original Jergen's hand lotion. I think it's almond and something scented. As soon as I smell it, it reminds me of my mom and my childhood. Not a specific time or event, just the feeling of safety my mom and dad gave me growing up.

As for the music, I don't think I've ever had two running at the same time (unless it's like a round...like row, row, row your boat type thing). Normally at work I have two that alternate depending on the person I just delt with. Either it's the "Loony Tunes" theme, or Wizard of Oz's "If I only had a brain"!

Most of my thoughts are random anyway, so it's hard to narrow it down to just one....give me time though. I'm sure I will have a good one sometime tonight.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have some form of song running through my head
Not always a real song, mind u, lol

Scents are a greaty study too, btw, for any of you who are still in school. If you always study a certain topic while say, wearing vanilla hand lotion, and you wear vanilla hand lotion to the test, it boosts ur memory a bit
I believe it has to be something wiht a strong scent, like vanilla, or lavandar though.

My only random thought today has been about how bad of a mood I'm in! But I guess thats just part of being a woman

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm the queen of random thoughts!
my mind bounces around alot. Sometimes I think I have ADD. Smells are connected to your memory. I don't remember how but I remember hearing that. I always have songs stuck in my head it is usually Jingle Bells. Unless it is Christmas time go figure
My random thought right now is about shoe laces. How do they get that little plastic thing on the end so tight and get it to stay so well?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

I'm the queen of random thoughts!
my mind bounces around alot. Sometimes I think I have ADD. Smells are connected to your memory. I don't remember how but I remember hearing that. I always have songs stuck in my head it is usually Jingle Bells. Unless it is Christmas time go figure
My random thought right now is about shoe laces. How do they get that little plastic thing on the end so tight and get it to stay so well?
Those little plastic things are called flugelbinders!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emy4cats - Clink on that link I posted, it explains what I said in better detail. As for how shoe laces are made - have you (or anyone) ever watched any of the shows on the Science Channel? There may be some online, too. But there's at least three shows; How It Works, How Its Made, and How Do They Do It where they show all sorts of random things like that.

The episode about how hot dogs were made was a bit off putting.

Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Scents are a greaty study too, btw, for any of you who are still in school. If you always study a certain topic while say, wearing vanilla hand lotion, and you wear vanilla hand lotion to the test, it boosts ur memory a bit
I believe it has to be something wiht a strong scent, like vanilla, or lavandar though.
Do you know doodling while listening to something, particularly boring things, actually improves your memory instead of distracting you?
So for all of us that have always doodled, we weren't day dreaming, we were making it easier to pay attention.

I assume many people have seen the Microsoft Bing commercials? My brain can work a little bit like that sometimes, random and sometimes unrelated info on thousands of things and it never stops.
There's always some mixed mental sound track that can change depending on various melodies or phrases I see and hear throughout the day.

Currently I'm thinking about Enceladus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...turn-moon.html

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you know doodling while listening to something, particularly boring things, actually improves your memory instead of distracting you?
So for all of us that have always doodled, we weren't day dreaming, we were making it easier to pay attention.
Actually I did, I tell my students that I totally get the importance of doodeling, but if they doodle they MUST doodle on their notes
I just negelt to tell them that it further helps them pay attention,

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I ate hot cheese, and wonder if it'll make me sick.
I read that on FB and cracked up laughing

I usually have some form of song running through my head
Not always a real song, mind u, lol

Regarding smells and memories, what if out of the blue doing something totally unrelated, you smell the perfume of someone who is deceased. Is that you remembering them? Or is that something else?

Thats my random question.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I assisted on a bilateral mastectomy, for ductal carcinoma, on a lady who had extensive neurofibromatosis lesions all over her body. Oddly enough, her face seemed to be mostly spared the disfigurement. NEUROFIBROMATOSIS is an autosomal dominant gene, but this was my second patient in nearly 30 years that I've seen in the operating room. This experience has piqued my curiosity, and I've been reading about signs, symptoms, and complications of the disorder. It's been a fascinating read. She was a really sweet lady, about my own age. I can't imagine how difficult her life has been since the disease started to manifest itself. I know how self conscious I am about my vitiligo, it must be mind boggeling having to deal with NF. (Due to patient confidentiality issues, I got this random picture off the internet.)

Most of my random thoughts are either about human medicine, or feline medicine. I love learning new things!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Regarding smells and memories, what if out of the blue doing something totally unrelated, you smell the perfume of someone who is deceased. Is that you remembering them? Or is that something else?

Thats my random question.
That depends. Did someone walk by you that may have had that scent on? Or did you just smell it out of the blue. If the former, it's probably a memory. If no one was around and you just smelled it, I would say someone is "nudging" you for a reason. Anyway, that's my belief.

Ok, here's one. I dreamt about my old college roommate last night. We were back in college with the old gang doing old gang stuff. I hadn't heard from her in months...tonight I get an email from her. Connected or coincidence? (ok, probably not a random thought, more like a strange thought...but interesting).

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pick up random thoughts from Jeopardy
Like the word frought, as in frought with emotion, actually used to mean the cargo on a ship, like freight, but frought
I found that incredibly interesting

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Those little plastic things are called flugelbinders!
They have a name????

Emy4cats - Clink on that link I posted, it explains what I said in better detail. As for how shoe laces are made - have you (or anyone) ever watched any of the shows on the Science Channel? There may be some online, too. But there's at least three shows; How It Works, How Its Made, and How Do They Do It where they show all sorts of random things like that.

The episode about how hot dogs were made was a bit off putting.

I assume many people have seen the Microsoft Bing commercials? My brain can work a little bit like that sometimes, random and sometimes unrelated info on thousands of things and it never stops.
There's always some mixed mental sound track that can change depending on various melodies or phrases I see and hear throughout the day.

Currently I'm thinking about Enceladus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...turn-moon.html
Those Bing ads are how my brain works! I really think I have ADD or something. I feel bad for people who are trying to have a convo with me! I could talk about a rubber band and it uses for 2hours and with out missing a beat be onto the subject of paper plates.

I LOVE How It's Made!!

My next random thoughts do the little balls at the end of your hair brush stick things have a name? What is the difference between fur and hair? If I choose not to believe in the Gravitational Theory will I float?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

They have a name????

Those Bing ads are how my brain works! I really think I have ADD or something. I feel bad for people who are trying to have a convo with me! I could talk about a rubber band and it uses for 2hours and with out missing a beat be onto the subject of paper plates.

I LOVE How It's Made!!

My next random thoughts do the little balls at the end of your hair brush stick things have a name? What is the difference between fur and hair? If I choose not to believe in the Gravitational Theory will I float?
LOL, all good so far people!!!
I have joked to friends, "I refuse to believe in the laws of gravity!" Probably would have been more dramatic if I did indeed float away at that point in the conversation.
What are those little plastic balls on the ends of hair brushes called??? I googled it, and they are called "The little plastic balls on the ends of hair brush bristles"

To fan of the TV show "Yes Dear" Jimmy wrote a song about his thoughts while at work, a brief snippet of it,

"Another morning in my security box.
Every stage has free bagels and lox.
I just noticed I'm wearing two different-colored socks.
Man, this Vanilla Coke really rocks.

My second-favorite actor
has gotta be Captain Kirk.
These are things I think about at work....

I think Mr. T can take Russell Crowe in a fight.
I'd like to be Mr. Britney Spears for just one night.
I've always thought that guinea pigs were odd.
The man who invented NutRageous is a god.

If I were Hercules, all my best friends could just call me Herc.
These are things I think about at work."

I will give the first person who finds me a youtube of this song 10,000 points.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No name huh? Sad everything should have a name.... from now on I will call them.... I don't know what should they be called? In school I would get bored and name EVERYTHING! My cell phone was Bob, my pens were all named Phil, my pencils were Sally. I had a really cool pen thats name was Mark, but he ran out of ink it was a sad day.

So I was playing with Figaro and shined his laser pointer into my engagment ring
very pretty! Be care full though if you catch it at the right angel it will shine into your eye!