Basel cell cancer eye lid update

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this sure has been not fun at all. The skin cancer on my lower eye lid had spread more then they expected. I had to have quite a large area removed .They took a skin graft from my upper eye lid..Cut the whole length across.Then skin grafted it on my lower eye lid. It took over two hours in the operating room to do. They sent me home with a large thick padded bandage and made a appointment to come back in 4 days to remove the bandage. That night it hurt but not terrible. went back for the bandage off. After he took it off I said is my eye open as I can't see out of it!
Get this He said well I have had to sew your eye shut!! It has to stay this way for one month!! As he is using blood vessles from the upper lid attached to the lower skin graft to supply blood to it.. You would of thought he would of told me that one..It was a shock.. Un bandgaed days but at night I have to wear a larger plastic patch. At least they got it all. And he says in a few months you'll hardly notice anything was done. Just a few lower eye lashes will be gone for good.

Thanks for the vibes and good wishes. For your info this skin cancer looked like a sty so I never gave it a thought. It itched often so I went to my eye doc to see what she could do about it as my regular doc has seen it for over a year! And just dismissed it as nothing... 2nd surgey on the 13th it will be nice to see again.. Im also going to a dermatolgist for skin mapping as this is the 2nd basel cell surgey in 3 months.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, you poor thing

I can only imagine the shock you got when he told you he had to stitch your eye shut
How do you wash your face, with cleansing wipes?

Whats involved with skin mapping?

Lots of healthy, healing coming over

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can shower and let water gently get on my face hes says its good to keep that area clean. Skin mapping is when they check your whole body from feet to your scalp. They note any moles or suspicious areas measue them and write them down.Ever 6 months you go back and they check again to see if anything has changed in size or color or any new areas. The docs told me if you have basel cell skin cancer theres a 50% chance you will get more.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoa! You've had quite an ordeal!
I hope you're in the 50% who don't get more skin cancer!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Whoa! You've had quite an ordeal!
I hope you're in the 50% who don't get more skin cancer!
and thanks for sharing all the info about it too. Hopefully the education will benefit more than just me

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Skin mapping is when they check your whole body from feet to your scalp. They note any moles or suspicious areas measue them and write them down.Ever 6 months you go back and they check again to see if anything has changed in size or color or any new areas.
Well one things for sure, their being thorough!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh geez, you went thru a lot. Good to know you're not in a lot of pain. I wish you all the best and hope this will be the end of it. Good luck to you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie, what a shock!
The good news is they got it all - but still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it heals up quickly and completely with no problems.

I'm just so sorry it has to be sewn shut for a month and you weren't at all prepared for that one.

Of course I'm sending vibes that you'll be that 50% that doesn't have further problems!!!!

Laurie

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh! Yeah, you would have thought they would have let you in on the fact that they sewed your eyelid shut! :eek! Thankfully they've gotten it all!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How can they not tell you that your eye had to be sewn shut??

I hope you heal well from this surgery.

Where may I ask was your first basal cell cancer??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good lord sweetie!
Many vibes for a quick recovery !

It's terrible they didn't warn you that your eye would have to be sewn shut, but it makes sense. Are you having any problems getting around? My uncle had to have his eye removed after a bundgie cord accident (long story) and he said it took a while for his brain to adjust to seeing out of one eye. He didn't have much depth perception for the first few weeks and would get sick to his stomach but the doctor said every person adjusts differently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail the 1st basel cell skin cancer was on the same side of my face as this eye one above my lip.That was about 3 months ago I was cut from the nose ndown through my lip to get that all removed.now theres hardely a scar showing but my lip inside is lumpy..
And yes I have been having a very hard time adjusting to being one eyed. Its like I am seeing but my brain just isn't registering it. Its hard to describe but its like being in a fog sur real feeling.Depth perception is way off. Don't dare drive of course.. And its itching like crazy!!!! 13 more days to go..

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be a difficult adjustment especially if you cannot garden this time of year.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I am glad you are doing ok! Lots of vibes for you.
Good thing you are going for the mapping since you are high risk for more. IF it ever comes back it will be caught early but I hope it doesn't come back.