Clicker Training

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here tried clicker training a cat? I want to train one of my cats to do a few "tricks", but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Does anyone have any tips or advice, or a book to recommend?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I asked the same question when I 1st joined. I've dabbled in clicker training my dogs but haven't got past the basics. I guess its the same for cats. Find something they really love & charge that clicker. The 1st time you use the clicker you click, treat, click, treat at least 20 times so the cat knows what it means. Then you start looking for moves you like from your cat & click treat them. No. one rule is if you click, you must treat. Even if you make a mistake.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

I think I asked the same question when I 1st joined. I've dabbled in clicker training my dogs but haven't got past the basics. I guess its the same for cats. Find something they really love & charge that clicker. The 1st time you use the clicker you click, treat, click, treat at least 20 times so the cat knows what it means. Then you start looking for moves you like from your cat & click treat them. No. one rule is if you click, you must treat. Even if you make a mistake.
This is good advice
. One thing for sure is that clicker training isn't for every cat, and you have to be dedicated, calm, and consistent. It's not something you try in your spare time, especially with cats

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two cats are clicker trained
You can train anything with positive reinforcement and operant conditioning. I've trained alligators, chickens, possums, bats, cats, dogs, horses, cows and monkeys with operant conditioning. Something to keep in mind is that the noise from the clicker might frighten the cat so you can use any novel sounding device or even just verbally marking is usually sufficient. I use a whistle for my cats but they know a clicker too, the whistle just keeps my hands free.

For treats/rewards my cats are crazy for freeze dried salmon and freeze dried chicken. It's a perfect reward because I can break it into small pieces. You don't want to use something that takes too long to eat because the animal might loose interest. I found with my cats that the normal cat treats weren't motivating enough for them but your cats might be different. I only use their freeze dried treats for training and that way they are always exciting. You can use a small spoon with some wet food too.

Load your marker as described above. Doesn't usually take too much time. Cats have short attention spans so keep your sessions short.

Decide what behavior you would like to shape and write a plan. Then use your plan to shape the behavior. Use your clicker to mark when the cat is close to the behavior and keep building.

I'll admit, I use a lot of lures and baiting for my behaviors because I get results faster, but make sure that you remove the lure and the bait before you mark the behavior complete.

I target train everything first because the target is useful for shaping almost every other behavior! My target for the cats is a green furball on the end of a skewer. Doesn't have to be fancy. Target for my cats means they touch their nose to the green puff. Touch means they put their paw on the green puff.

Quick Sample shaping plan for "Target".
BR=Bridge and reward (click treat)

BR when cat looks at target
BR when cat gets close to target
BR when cat touches nose to target
BR when cat touches nose to target and holds nose to target for 3 secs
BR when cat touches nose to target, and holds nose to target for 3+secs
BR to desired length of time
Introduce the command "Target" to behavior
BR when cat touches nose to target when asked

eventually you'll want them to be able to do several behaviors without being rewarded. The click marks the behavior as being complete. Don't do away with rewards completely or you make it not as fun for them. There is no harm in rewarding every behavior for just your basic "want to have fun" training routine.

I use the command "hold" when I want them to keep their nose on the target and Ok is their release.

My cats do quite a few behaviors but I'm always looking for more ideas.

Both my cats will:
Target and Touch (and hold)
Scale on command (sit on a scale so I can weigh them)
Sit and stay (not very long)
Lie down
Sit up
"Find your mark' (remote targeting to a butter lid)
Give paw or high five
Other paw
Crate on command
Spin

It is very possible to train cats and it is very rewarding for both them and you! Have fun, there are lots and lots of resources available if you want to really delve into cat training.

For a good read on clicker training and animal behavior in general, check out Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog. I've read it several times and it is a must if yo uwant to get into any animal training.

Have fun and Good luck!!

Sara

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really must say it is not for every cat, and especially not for young or high strung cats.

With the kittens, I thought it would be good to get the clicker and trian them young, but one kitten is scared of the noise (and it's shadow, and the sound of it's own breath...) And two others hear the click and want to know what I've got so they start attacking my hand.

Just snapping my fingers seems to work at least a little on my little tom kitten. He's the calmest and most outgoing of the group. He knows that a snap and a point at the floor means he is somewhere he's not supposed to be and he gets down. And two snaps means i want him to come to me. We're still learning a few more cues.

Loudmouth mama is still working on high five, but we have to work with her on treats. But she's doing pretty well. Cats are very smart and I'm sure a clicker will work for some. I guess it's mostly trial and error to figure out what works for your cats.