Royal Canin (?)

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
During my extensive research on which food will be best for my kitty, considering ingredients-price-availability I do not recall having Royal Canin as a top choice. Yesterday at a local independent pet store I was amazed at how expensive a small bag of RC is ($15.36)and I was not all impressed with the ingredients. Am I missing something? I also notice several breeders (cats and dogs) have their logo on their sites.....freebies?
I understand some brands being more expensive, like Wellness, considering the ingredients and all. Here are RC ' ingredients for their kitten 36(corn is 3rd and 4th!!!):

Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat, chicken, dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, wheat gluten, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), L-lysine, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), sodium silico aluminate, dried brewers yeast, soya oil, pea fiber, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), choline chloride, taurine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), L-Carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract. [/size][/size][/size]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RC is a solid premium food ... yes the $$ is high

Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

During my extensive research on which food will be best for my kitty, considering ingredients-price-availability I do not recall having Royal Canin as a top choice. Yesterday at a local independent pet store I was amazed at how expensive a small bag of RC is ($15.36)and I was not all impressed with the ingredients. Am I missing something? I also notice several breeders (cats and dogs) have their logo on their sites.....freebies?
I understand some brands being more expensive, like Wellness, considering the ingredients and all. Here are RC ' ingredients for their kitten 36(corn is 3rd and 4th!!!):

Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal, corncorn or corn gluten to me is fine not both, chicken fat, chicken, dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, wheat gluten, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), L-lysine, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), sodium silico aluminate, dried brewers yeast, soya oil, pea fiber, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), choline chloride, taurine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), L-Carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract. [/size][/size][/size]

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is expensive and actually we're worse here i pay for my 3.5lb bag of kitten 36 22$CAD
and that is before a 13% tx is added

But that is what the breeder used, i do think some of the features they give breeders lead them to using RC, i also know my breeder liked the queen formula plus she liked the younger kitten formula, her cats do well on it... nobody can argue that plus i also see their are huge contributors at the cat shows.

It is a premium food, are their foods for less money with better ingredients? i think so, but again... the cats do well on it, my female mainly only eats the RC choices here{kitten 36 & special 33} and she looks very good... shiny coat, good weight etc..

so i admit while i would like it outta here due to cost, i question whether i should? the old it ain't broke why fix it line of thinking.. *shrug*

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

I think RC is a rip-off. It has the same ingredients of like Purina ProPlan, for the price of Wellness CORE.
I don't agree there, i mean the 1st ingredient in RC is a meat meal, and their are no by-products either..

for example pro plan chicken and rice formula

"Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, dried egg product, wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal, soy protein isolate, animal liver flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
F-4623"

Vs my royal canin special 33

"Chicken meal, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, rice, corn, natural flavors, brown rice, wheat gluten, dried brewers yeast, dried beet pulp, anchovy oil (source of EPA and DHA omega 3 essential fatty acids), soybean oil, dried egg powder, calcium sulfate, fructo-oligosaccharides, sodium silico aluminate (zeolite), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, DL-methionine, L-lysine, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), Lascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], sodium tripolyphosphate, trace minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract."

I do feel it is overpriced but i don't consider pro plan to be premium food, RC is however.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was amazed at how expensive a small bag of RC is ($15.36)and I was not all impressed with the ingredients. Am I missing something?
I don't think you are missing anything. The ingredients in RC are so not species appropriate. Do you see a cat running down the street chasing after a piece of corn or rice? Cats are carnivores and need mainly meat in their diets - you are right to question the ingredients. Royal Canin has also had a few recalls in the past couple of years. Here is a link where pet owners were suing Royal Canin among many other pet food compnaies for making their animals sick or die http://www.animallawcoalition.com/an...cs/article/546. I wish I was as smart as you earlier on in my cats life. My 12 year old male cat had constant diarrhea for YEARS. The vet would give him Royal Canin Sensitivity. This food did not help his diarrhea - it would always return. So then the vet would put him on Medi-cal hypoallergenic but his diarrhea always returned. I finally after too many years started researching feline nutrition and I finally realized that what I was feeding him was not species appropriate. I started feeding him a raw food diet and for the last 9 months his diarrhea has not returned. When I do feed him a canned food I make sure to feed him canned grainfree/ filler free/ meat-by product free and he does very well on these foods. My personal opinion is I do not feel that wheat gluten, dried bewers yeast, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken meal, brown rice, etc. are species appropriate

When I look for canned food I look for meat in the first 1-3 ingredients. The more meat the better.

catinfo
http://www.catinfo.org/

Feline Nutrition
http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

I wouldn't doubt it if the breeders are getting kick backs from the pet food companies for having their logos on their websites and feeding their foods. The vets get many kickbacks from the pet food companies for carrying their products in their clinics. This is coming from my vet. He is an advocate for raw feeding and he is the one who told me about the kickbacks vets get.

You are on the right track for questioning these ingredients. Keep on doing your research and you will make the right decision

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed RC for Urinary since Charlie had the UTI. But we also feed canned foods in Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Iams, Max Cat and Wellness - so they are getting high quality canned food with more "meat" and not by-products in there.

Also they get some raw hamburger or chicken a few times a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies...at first I thought I was going crazy, but now I can say RC is officially overpriced.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RC is DEFINITELY overpriced, but I'm having to use the RC Special 33 because it's the only thing I've found that keeps Siddha from having diarrhea and doesn't make Bodhi constipated. I figure there's a LOT worse food I could be feeding and I just try to find petsmart or petco coupons and buy the big bag.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denali

I wouldn't doubt it if the breeders are getting kick backs from the pet food companies for having their logos on their websites and feeding their foods.
We get kitten packs, with a little sample to give to new owners. And a small discount on the 10kg (20lb) packs (eg costing $100 vs $120) for being in breeder clubs.

Most pet foods offer similar clubs, some don't give discounts but offer points instead where many, many points are required to trade for goods.

Everyone I know is in clubs so the kittens go with a little goody bag of product they are used to eating - there is really nothing in it for the breeder.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

RC is DEFINITELY overpriced, but I'm having to use the RC Special 33 because it's the only thing I've found that keeps Siddha from having diarrhea and doesn't make Bodhi constipated. I figure there's a LOT worse food I could be feeding and I just try to find petsmart or petco coupons and buy the big bag.
similar issue here - Pixel [my senior] shows a decided preference for RC Special 33, & her herpes has been much more quiescent since i've been feeding it... i wish it wasn't so expensive, & i may have to stop using it if i don't get a job for next year - but until i must, i'll stay w/it. she's a dry only eater, so she's the one i consider - the others will eat any kibble i get; Cable & Firefox actually prefer the Authority i buy for the ferals!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Royal Canin has also had a few recalls in the past couple of years. Here is a link where pet owners were suing Royal Canin among many other pet food compnaies for making their animals sick or die http://www.animallawcoalition.com/an...cs/article/546.

:
I looked at that link and couldn't find anything about RC, those were all the menu foods recalls involving wet foods.

Where are their 'few recalls in the past couple of years' able to be located? i would like to read the info, as well unfortunately very few companies anymore haven't had a recall so not choosing a food basing on that alone isn't an easy task.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RC had a RX recalled ... South African recall

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

I looked at that link and couldn't find anything about RC, those were all the menu foods recalls involving wet foods.

Where are their 'few recalls in the past couple of years' able to be located? i would like to read the info, as well unfortunately very few companies anymore haven't had a recall so not choosing a food basing on that alone isn't an easy task.
A list of the pet food manufactured or sold by these defendants is at the end of this article

Pet foods sold by defendants in the Florida litigation: Pedigree(R), Sheba(R),
Goodlife Recipe(R), Royal Canine, Iams(R), Eukanuba(R), Science Diet(R), Prescription Diet(R), 9 Lives(R), Amore(R), Gravy Train(R), Kibbles-n-Bits(R) and Nature's Recipe(R), Snausages(R), Milk Bone(R), Pup-Peroni(R), Meaty Bone(R), Canine's Carry Outs(R), Jerky Treats(R), Wagwells(R), Alpo(R), Beneful(R), Beggin' Strips(R), Dog, Cat, Puppy and Kitten Chow(R), Fancy Feast(R), Friskies(R), Mighty Dog(R), Deli-Cat(R), Pro Plan(R), Purina One(R), Natural Choice(R) Dog and Cat Products, Max(R) Dog Products, Max(R) Cat
Gourmet Classics, Natural Choice(R) Complete Care(R) for cats, UltraTM Products for dogs, Americas Choice Preferred Pets, Authority, Award, Best Choice, Big Bet, Big Red, Cadillac, Companion, Compliments, Demoulus Market Basket, Eukanuba, Fine Feline Cat, Food Lion, Food Town, Giant Companion, Hannaford, Hill Country Fare, Hy-Vee, Iams, J.E. Mondou, Laura Lynn, Li'l Red, Loving Meals, Medi-Cal, Meijer's Main Choice, Mighty Dog Pouch, Mixables, Natural Life, Nutriplan, Nutro Max, Nutro Max Gourmet Classics, Nutro Natural Choice, Ol' Roy, Paws, Pet Essentials, Pet Pride, President's Choice, Price Chopper, Priority US, Publix, Roche Brothers, Save-a-Lot Special Blend, Schnucks, Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans, Sophistacat, Special Kitty, Springfield Prize, Sprout, Stop and Shop Companion, Tops Companion, Wegmans, Weis Total Pet, Western family US, White Rose, Winn Dixie, Your Pet, LIFELongTM, Ol' Roy and Special Kitty

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

A list of the pet food manufactured or sold by these defendants is at the end of this article

Pet foods sold by defendants in the Florida litigation: Pedigree(R), Sheba(R),
Goodlife Recipe(R), Royal Canine, Iams(R), Eukanuba(R), Science Diet(R), Prescription Diet(R), 9 Lives(R), Amore(R), Gravy Train(R), Kibbles-n-Bits(R) and Nature's Recipe(R), Snausages(R), Milk Bone(R), Pup-Peroni(R), Meaty Bone(R), Canine's Carry Outs(R), Jerky Treats(R), Wagwells(R), Alpo(R), Beneful(R), Beggin' Strips(R), Dog, Cat, Puppy and Kitten Chow(R), Fancy Feast(R), Friskies(R), Mighty Dog(R), Deli-Cat(R), Pro Plan(R), Purina One(R), Natural Choice(R) Dog and Cat Products, Max(R) Dog Products, Max(R) Cat
Gourmet Classics, Natural Choice(R) Complete Care(R) for cats, UltraTM Products for dogs, Americas Choice Preferred Pets, Authority, Award, Best Choice, Big Bet, Big Red, Cadillac, Companion, Compliments, Demoulus Market Basket, Eukanuba, Fine Feline Cat, Food Lion, Food Town, Giant Companion, Hannaford, Hill Country Fare, Hy-Vee, Iams, J.E. Mondou, Laura Lynn, Li'l Red, Loving Meals, Medi-Cal, Meijer's Main Choice, Mighty Dog Pouch, Mixables, Natural Life, Nutriplan, Nutro Max, Nutro Max Gourmet Classics, Nutro Natural Choice, Ol' Roy, Paws, Pet Essentials, Pet Pride, President's Choice, Price Chopper, Priority US, Publix, Roche Brothers, Save-a-Lot Special Blend, Schnucks, Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans, Sophistacat, Special Kitty, Springfield Prize, Sprout, Stop and Shop Companion, Tops Companion, Wegmans, Weis Total Pet, Western family US, White Rose, Winn Dixie, Your Pet, LIFELongTM, Ol' Roy and Special Kitty
Is that supposed to be them?

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was a USA and Canadian recall on Royal Canin cat & dog food. You can Google it - I found it no problem. My cat was eating the Royal canin one for cats that was recalled. But not taking the chance with the rice gluten any longer. Grain and filler free for my cats now....