why?

bennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have a post pardum mom and six month old kittens. mom has started throwing up everyday and we can't figure out why?

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet, it is very hard to tell why and could be anything from a hairball to intestinal blockage.
Have you changed her diet at all lately? Has she been spayed yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she living with the kittens and still getting kitten food?

Is she still toileting the kittens?

yes and yes

i've had a cat that had a blockage and the vomit doesn't look the same. we've mixed kitten (dry) food in with her regular food as the vet told us to right before she had her litter. i think she's going to start weaning soon b/c the babies have teeth and she screams when nursing so we are keeping extra kitten food on hand in prep. for that.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say in your first post that the kittens are six months old? If this is true they should be away from their mother and the mother cat shouldn't be getting kitten food anymore.

Did you mean six weeks? I have a six month old kitten who has been away from her mother since she was 7 weeks old. She's an independant, young lady now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there are six 4-week old kittens.

i'm also wondering how long she will put up with kitten teeth - she screams everytime she nurses. we've put out extra kitten food but she hasn't shown it to them yet. we had thought about not spaying her yet (we're on a farm and wanted mousers) but after hearing her yell everytime they eat - as soon as we can she's getting fixed. poor thing is in major pain at feeding time.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bennett

there are six 4-week old kittens.

i'm also wondering how long she will put up with kitten teeth - she screams everytime she nurses. hearing her yell everytime they eat - as soon as we can she's getting fixed. poor thing is in major pain at feeding time.
I don't think that is normal for a cat to cry out when kittens nurse. The throwing up will cause dehydration. What does your vet say about these problems? I hope she feels better soon.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she's dehydrated from throwing up, she could be not making enough milk, so when the kittens suck there's nothing there, which could be painful for her if they suck hard.

Try her on chicken broth--out of a can or from bouillon cubes is OK for this: if anything, the salt will be helpful since she's dehydrated and it'll make her thirsty.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Try her on chicken broth--out of a can or from bouillon cubes is OK .
If I am not mistaken, you should NOT use any food product that contains onions or garlic for cats. Most chicken broth that you buy at the grocery is made with onions and garlic. Be careful to read labels.