Question of the Day: Tues. June 30

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of us here have a dentist appt today..... so my question...

*insert scary music here*

Do you go to the dentist regularly????

Part 2:

How do you feel about going to the dentist? (no probs, scared, it's part of life, etc.)

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not go to the dentist regularly because I do not have benefits. I wouldn't mind going for a routine check-up/cleaning, but I know I need a lot more than that done and wouldn't be able to afford the trip!

Once I get benefits, I am in for a fun experience, I know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a bad experience with a dentist once

No, I don't like going, but I'm getting better with dealing with it.

I go for regular check ups every 9-12 months.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm overdue for a dentist visit. My boyfriend went today and it cost NZD$600 for 2 fillings. Unfortunately I cannot afford that sort of money so I probably will not get there until early 2010.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't used to. My parents took me 1 time when I was 8 or so and that's it. When I turned 19 I decided for myself to go finally and it was the most painful cleaning ever since it had been so long. I also had 5 cavities. Of all the professions out there, guess which one I'm in

Yes I am a dental assistant and yes I do get my teeth cleaned(and LOVE it!) regularly now and am a strict brusher and flosser

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE going to the dentist! I would much rather go to the gyno then the dentist anyday. To me, having someone poke around my mouth is the ultimate violation. I normally only go if there is an emergency (ie, too much pain!). The last time I went I had to get 5 teeth pulled (my own fault, I know). While I didn't feel a thing, except for the shots, the sounds were just too much! I figure if I keep doing it that way, I will only have 2 or 3 more visits then I can get dentures and not have to worry about it again! (
just kidding).

zoeysmom, do you have a college or a trade college nearby that has a dental hygentist program? If so, you can probably get your teeth cleaned for next to nothing. We have a community college that has that course and you can make an appointment for teeth cleaning for around $10.00 I think. Sometimes they have clinics open to the public where it's free. It gives the students a chance to practice and hopefully they can't do a lot of damage cleaning them.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get more nervous about going to the hairdressers! So yep, I go fairly regular and he don`t scare me!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go as regularly as I should (no insurance), but I do go, and I don't mind.
I've had extractions, a fake tooth made and cavities filled and drilled, none of it has bothered me in the least.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go about every 9 months and no, I don't really mind going, although having your mouth numb after getting cavities filled is no fun

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I do not go to the dentist regularly because I do not have benefits. I wouldn't mind going for a routine check-up/cleaning, but I know I need a lot more than that done and wouldn't be able to afford the trip!

Once I get benefits, I am in for a fun experience, I know.
If you go to Fanshawe in London, they will do it cheaper... I'm not sure how cheap, but a friend of mine went for some extractions and it was over $200 cheaper than quotes she got from other dentists.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We go 2x a year sometimes more if you have a cavity or something lol. My dentist is really quick if you have a teeth cleaning. Last time I went I was only there for about 25-30minutes, but when I have to have any work done by the dentist....scary! His hands shake a bit when putting the needle in.....he had a heart condition awhile back.....

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I go to the dentist. I put both of my first dentist's children through college. Now he's retired (I'm sure I made a few payments on the retirement home too!) My new dentist has three children....I imagine that I'll have enough dental work in the future to pay for their college educations also. I take great care of my teeth: checkups every 6 months, I brush, I floss, I do extra flouride treatments...I just have bad genes. I've had filllings, root canals (5), an apicoectomy for a failed root canal, then an extraction for a failed apicoectomy, and a dental implant. Now I'm working on my second dental implant for a second failed root canal, which resulted in another extraction.....and then a bone graft to the extraction site. At least I got to bypass the apicoectomy. Can you say $$$$$? I'd be rich if it weren't for my teeth (not really, it just feels like it.)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

3 of us here have a dentist appt today..... so my question...

*insert scary music here*

Do you go to the dentist regularly????

Part 2:

How do you feel about going to the dentist? (no probs, scared, it's part of life, etc.)
Every 6months and love it

No cavities. I just hate getting x-rays. They sure dig into the gums.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Oh yeah, I go to the dentist. I put both of my first dentist's children through college. Now he's retired (I'm sure I made a few payments on the retirement home too!) My new dentist has three children....I imagine that I'll have enough dental work in the future to pay for their college educations also. I take great care of my teeth: checkups every 6 months, I brush, I floss, I do extra flouride treatments...I just have bad genes. I've had filllings, root canals (5), an apicoectomy for a failed root canal, then an extraction for a failed apicoectomy, and a dental implant. Now I'm working on my second dental implant for a second failed root canal, which resulted in another extraction.....and then a bone graft to the extraction site. At least I got to bypass the apicoectomy. Can you say $$$$$? I'd be rich if it weren't for my teeth (not really, it just feels like it.)
I think that you may be putting the eldest child through grad school, too.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to dentist twice a year. I had a filling replaced earlier this year done at the same time as my routine exam. No needles for me just drill and fill!!

DH on the other hand still has a numb area on his chin from a dental implant done a year ago.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go every 6 months. It doesn't really bother me, if it's just a regular check up, but if it's anything more, I get nervous. I hate having shots in my mouth, so when I had my gum surgery, and they had to put a shot in the roof of my mouth, I was pretty scared. But it turned out fine and didn't hurt really at all.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was terrified as a child. We had a scary dentist. We have 100% basic dental. The kids go every 6 months (they all love the dentist) Dh and I go every 3 months for cleaning. Every 6 months for a check up.