Dragons...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...fact (or at least, possibility) or fiction?

I'm looking for people that have sound arguments, either way, and are passionate enough to be willing to share them.

Thanks.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am 100% sure that their are/was Dragons! We have not explored every inch of the ocean. I think thats where the ones left are. I do believe that their where dragons in are skies at one time. No, I don't think they kidnapped princesses and burned villages. Maybe they breathed fire maybe they didn't. I think that it is possible.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've always believed that the dragon myths arose from fossil dinosaur finds long before such things were recorded or understood. Or are Komodo dragons the last surviving giant lizards?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do and have owned Dragons of the Bearded and Water variety

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is some truth to dragons, there are too many cultures (some isolated) that have a dragon myth and they all share similarities.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've always believed that the dragon myths arose from fossil dinosaur finds long before such things were recorded or understood. Or are Komodo dragons the last surviving giant lizards?
What a beautiful animal. As a kid I liked to look at them in the zoo. I would not want to meet one face to face thats for sure!

Maybe they once had wings?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I think there is some truth to dragons, there are too many cultures (some isolated) that have a dragon myth and they all share similarities.
Great point. There was a program on dragons I watched awhile back, and that was the one thing mentioned that really resonated with me. If one is running with the dragon-as-satan metaphor, I suppose one could say that a "serpentish" creature can only have so many variations, but that's a pretty cynical approach, when dragons have recorded history that precedes the bible.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether or not there are dragons depends on what you classify as a dragon. If you are talking about the fearsome dragon of legend which can breath fire and is hundreds of feet long etc. I don't believe in it at all. Personally, the only animal alive today that I truly classify as a dragon is the Komodo Dragon. Do I believe that there were giant reptiles that walked the earth millions of years ago? Of course. But I've always just considered them to all be dinosaurs and nothing more.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe dragons (fire breathing variety) did exist at some point in time...

of course the goofy side of me believes I was one in a past life: I have my moments where I loathe humans (work retail, you understand), and hoarde shiny, pretty things... oh yeah, i was a dragon. I still hoarde things and on occasion wish I could get away from *some* folks in society.

Amanda

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I believe dragons (fire breathing variety) did exist at some point in time...

of course the goofy side of me believes I was one in a past life: I have my moments where I loathe humans (work retail, you understand), and hoarde shiny, pretty things... oh yeah, i was a dragon. I still hoarde things and on occasion wish I could get away from *some* folks in society.

Amanda
Your not alone! Sometimes I live in a fantasy world....

There is just too many cultures all around the world that have stories of dragons. It is hard for me to believe that they did not exist at one point in time.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I just know the story of St George and the Dragon?

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...stgeorge2.html
In the religion I was raised- eastern orthodox christian- St. George always has a dragon at his feet and a bloody spear in all of the icons of him. And, he's the guardian saint of the army..Here is an example of an icon of him

LOL I guess it's more than just a legend to the eastern orthodox church??

Anyways- I am sure dragons are some kind of animal that went extinct but legends remained..

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really like to believe that dragons and other mythological creatures once existed, but it is difficult for me to believe it. I think that it is more likely that dragon myths arose in cultures across the world because people found fossils of giant dinosaur skulls and bones OR that dragons and other mythological creatures did exist (and perhaps still do) but reside on another dimension of some sort. It is hard to imagine dragons existing the same way that cats and horses exist without us having some kind of proof.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to believe that dragon did (and do exist), along with unicorns, elves, fairies, etc but I definitely don't have a reasonable agrument to support it. I just think life would be too boring if you DIDN'T believe in magic and fantasy creatures. Heck, I spent half of my young childhood looking for the "gremlins" that kept messing up things in our house!
Hey, I was a bored, only child with an overactive imagination!

Honestly though, I do think fantasy creatures have a basis in reality. I read somewhere that the unicorn is believed to have been based on a one horned goat species that is found in the mountains somewhere in europe (don't ask me where). It was so rare to see them that they became a myth. And don't they think the legend of mermaids came from sailors seeing manatees?