Question about frozen food...kinda

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so I am making my own baby food and Jaiden got his first bite of yams last night. (He loved it) I was told to put it in an ice cube tray because 1 ice cube is a serving size for them, then freeze it. Well I got up this morning to take it out of the tray and put in a freezer bag, but I cant get it out of the tray!!!
Any ideas on how to get it out? and any ideas on a better storage idea?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, good for you for making your own baby food! It's just a regular ice tray, right? If it's plastic or rubber, you just twist it; if it's metal you can run water along the bottom of the tray to loosen the cubes.

Are there any pics here of your little one?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

Ok so I am making my own baby food and Jaiden got his first bite of yams last night. (He loved it) I was told to put it in an ice cube tray because 1 ice cube is a serving size for them, then freeze it. Well I got up this morning to take it out of the tray and put in a freezer bag, but I cant get it out of the tray!!!
Any ideas on how to get it out? and any ideas on a better storage idea?
hmmmmm. I never had any probs getting them out...

Try putting straight hot water in your sink, then put the ice cube tray in the water only for 5-10 secs... it should be enough to loosen them without thawing them.

Another idea: use muffin tins.... put in the paper liner...then it won't get stuck. ( you could use it for 2 feedings.)

Last suggestion: put tbsp full in piles on a cookie sheet....freeze it, then you can use a flipper to get them off if they are stuck. (this will work with thicker foods.... not too good for runnier consistancies tho
)

I've used the above methods with great success. ( I still do freeze things in muffin tins)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is plastic. I tried twisting it and it didn't work. I ran some warm water over them and that didn't work either sO I just let it sit out for a few min and they came out with some force from a fork

I really like the cupcake idea!! Much easier then the ice tray. He eats 2 surinvings in a feeding anyway.
(He is a chunk)

I am making the baby food because after doing some research I save an average 20cents an oz. It is not hard at all boil some veggies while I am making dinner and mash it with a fork. I want to try carrots next week, but I don't want him to turn orange

I have posted some pictures of him before, but if you insist I can post some more

There is a video of him playing with Flower here http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199518

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you have an older ice cube tray? The newer ones are really bendy. I'm wondering about the paper muffin liners, though, it seems those might stick to the food while freezing?

You could also try a thin coat of vegetable oil in the trays/tin and that might help with the sticking, but that's just a guess.

Originally Posted by Emy4cats

There is a video of him playing with Flower here http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199518
AWWWWW! He's a doll, so kissable and huggable! Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen those!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you he is 5 months old Friday! I thought he was a bit young to start him on solids, but his Dr. said to do it. It was great! He had been so fussy after feedings like he was still hungry, but didn't want to nurse and then we started him on the rice cereal and he was back to being a happy baby. Guess he was ready for it.