Cat with chronic soft stool and stiny butt

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a foster cat - Archie- who is having issues. I posted in Cat health a while back. he is being fed Authority dry (chicken) and Authority wet. The reason I am doing Authority is if he goes to our pet adoption center at PetSmart.. that is what we normally feed b/c it is donated by the store.

However... I noticed when I got him that his butt was really smelly with no signs of poo stuck there.. And the problem with the softer, wetter stool gets better and worse ... (smelly butt, too) but doesn't go away.

It was suggested to be to give him more time to adjust to the food change-- who knows what they were feeding him at the pound... but it has been almost two weeks... and the problem persists...

So I am wondering if I need to change his food. The problem here is that I have FIVE fosters... alll eating Authority and no one else seems to have the problem. I also understand that it could be an intestinal microbe (coccidia, giardia etc... ).... but my first suspicions are food sensitivities, since the boys are in and out of each other's litter pans.. and it seems no one else has this issue (soft poo, smelly butt).

Any advice on changing his diet... or perhaps feeding him something to counter the digestive issues such as an enzyme or a probiotic???

Thanks!!!! Oh - and he loves,loves,loves the wet food! Any wet food. They all do.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
discuss enzymes or probiotic with vet

can or have you tried strait pumpkin>?? or I often use baby food sweet potato s in the canned

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - I will try canned cooked pumpkin. He's a little Hoover vac so I figure he will eat anything I put in front of him.

YOu don't think it's grain issues?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

OK - I will try canned cooked pumpkin. He's a little Hoover vac so I figure he will eat anything I put in front of him.

YOu don't think it's grain issues?
could be but IMHO start with the easy

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how much pumpkin should I give ... My guess is Archie is abou 10 lbs... and how long before I might see some results?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also take in a fecal, just to be safe. I've seen kitties with on/off loose stools - and they do have coccidia/giardia.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I would also take in a fecal, just to be safe. I've seen kitties with on/off loose stools - and they do have coccidia/giardia.
Cool- thanks, Nat. I just have to catch him in the "act."

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My foster just barely tested + for coccidia today. He had a - fecal a few weeks ago, I'm sure he had a stool sample tested, even though it's not marked on his meds card. He actually doesn't have loose stools, either. They were loose for 3 days, now solid like normal. So just goes to show you never know!