TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › My Orange Cat has been hurt,,,,Need advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Orange Cat has been hurt,,,,Need advice

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
One of my ferals is Orange Cat, big tom, neutered a few months ago, one of my babies. I love him so much. This is what has happened. Hubby saw him outside in the front, moving around, walking ok. sitting, everything seemed normal. About half an hr later I looked out my window and saw that he was panting. I went out to him and he was breathing thru his mouth and drooling. It's hot, so I got some cool water and put it on his paws and wiped some on his body to try and cool him off. He went off a little way and was doing the same. Long story short, My local TNR gal came over with another feral kitten that I'm going to socialize, and we showed her and her hubby OC. it looked like he was dying. He pooped and it was watery and bloody, and he has some blood on the top of his tail like he had been fighting. they said to take him to the er and have him put to sleep as he was dying. I can't do that yet. I 've been checking on him, and he is no longer panting or anything. He is now lying on his belly and not on his side like he was dying. Now when I call his name he looks up and he seems a little better. What to do. I don't want him to suffer tonight, but I don't want to let him be put down if he just needs TLC. If he's not better tomorrow, I'll do right by him, but what can I do to help him tonight. He's about 20lbs, and nothing but pure love for me and hubby. He's the one that when I took him in to be neutered, that when it was time for him to come home, they wouldn't put him back in the crate as he was too mean. NOT..... He came up to me, meowed, rolled on his back for a belly rub and went right into his crate. I can't let him go without giving him a chance to rest and maybe recover. Don't know what happened. Hubby was mowing and he's concerned that he may have rolled over him, but I don't think that is possible with the mower, (not mowing at the time, just moving). What to do.. Any pain meds I may have that I could crush and give him. anything
calling the vet, they say they have to see him first. that is 125 going into the door. I just need advice, something, till my vet opens tomorrow morning

mary
post #2 of 17
human pain medication can harm or kill him. The only thing I know is he needs a vet asap
post #3 of 17
It's entirely possible he's been hit by a car, as well as a million other things. Cats hide pain very well, he needs to see a vet tonight.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
It's entirely possible he's been hit by a car, as well as a million other things. Cats hide pain very well, he needs to see a vet tonight.
I have to agree with this. The watery bloody stool alone would get me to a vet, and you are seeing other bad symptoms on top of this.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
You all will not believe this. It's amazing. It's one of the reasons I love OC. Story, we change clothes and went outside to get him to take him to the vet. Of course, he was gone. We looked and couldn't find him so we figured he went into the woods to die. I was sick to my stomach. I couldn't stand the thought of him suffering. Well, we went to hay the horses as usual at 10pm and there he was, in the hay stall, not looking as bad as he did before. I got a syrenge and filled it with cool water and put honey on the tip. I gave him that and he was ok with it. instead of being on his side panting he was sitting up on his chest and belly and wasn't panting like he was. Well, I figured he was fighting for his life and he didn't want to have it ended, so I made a deal with him. I told him that if he wasn't better by 7am that he was going to the vet, that I loved him too much to let him suffer. Well, at 7 this morning he was still in the hay, I fed the girls and was going to bring him food and water. He got UP and walked to the feed room, ate, drank water, walked out of the barn to some wood, and started grooming himself. H\\. He is doing so much better. I think maybe he got kicked or brushed by one of the horses. I can't believe I almost killed him for no reason. I didn't think he could have been hit by a car as he never leaves the barn, front porch or back deck. (since he was spayed and recovered that is). the road is quite a distance from the house as we live in the boonies. I'm so happy. sorry I'm rambling, but I wasn't ready to lose him.

Mary
post #6 of 17
I don't understand why the lady and her husband were so quick to Judge? Why would a vet decide to euthanise him just because you suspect he is suffering? I would have thought, that a vet would judge for themselves the severeity and then if you want them to fight for him and they thought he had a chance, then they would?

Never give up. Always do your best for your cats. Always ask for a second opinion. Fight as much as you can, and give him as much comfort as possible, and then, after fighting for him like he is obviously fighting for himself (now or in the future) if there is no hope and the vet says there's no hope in their proffesional opinion - then & only then let go. Don't be pressured into it by guilt, use informed decission, knwim?

Good Luck & I am glad he is doing well! If he is doing really well and seems ok now, you've done really well and hopefully he has many more lives!
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmary View Post
You all will not believe this. It's amazing. It's one of the reasons I love OC. Story, we change clothes and went outside to get him to take him to the vet. Of course, he was gone. We looked and couldn't find him so we figured he went into the woods to die. I was sick to my stomach. I couldn't stand the thought of him suffering. Well, we went to hay the horses as usual at 10pm and there he was, in the hay stall, not looking as bad as he did before. I got a syrenge and filled it with cool water and put honey on the tip. I gave him that and he was ok with it. instead of being on his side panting he was sitting up on his chest and belly and wasn't panting like he was. Well, I figured he was fighting for his life and he didn't want to have it ended, so I made a deal with him. I told him that if he wasn't better by 7am that he was going to the vet, that I loved him too much to let him suffer. Well, at 7 this morning he was still in the hay, I fed the girls and was going to bring him food and water. He got UP and walked to the feed room, ate, drank water, walked out of the barn to some wood, and started grooming himself. H\\. He is doing so much better. I think maybe he got kicked or brushed by one of the horses. I can't believe I almost killed him for no reason. I didn't think he could have been hit by a car as he never leaves the barn, front porch or back deck. (since he was spayed and recovered that is). the road is quite a distance from the house as we live in the boonies. I'm so happy. sorry I'm rambling, but I wasn't ready to lose him.

Mary

That's great that he's seeming better, but I still think it's important he sees a vet. NOT to euthanize him, but to see what's wrong with him. As mentioned above, cats are experts at hiding pain and I've seen more cases that I wish where a cat looked 100% better and than took a turn for the worst.
Those were extremely serious symptoms he was showing and I think it's important to find out what's causing them. It could very well still be in his system or hurting him.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysmom View Post
That's great that he's seeming better, but I still think it's important he sees a vet. NOT to euthanize him, but to see what's wrong with him. As mentioned above, cats are experts at hiding pain and I've seen more cases that I wish where a cat looked 100% better and than took a turn for the worst.
Those were extremely serious symptoms he was showing and I think it's important to find out what's causing them. It could very well still be in his system or hurting him.
I am in 1000 percent agreement with this... just for your own peace of mind if nothing else.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
I am in 1000 percent agreement with this... just for your own peace of mind if nothing else.
Me too... You and him will be much better off...
Vet does NOT = putting to sleep...
Something else to consider: Anyway to bring him to live inside? Something obviously happened to him, and if he is such love bug, he might do well inside, and will be protected against many many harms...
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Update on OC. He is doing wonderful. I can't find anything wrong with him. I can only suppose that maybe he was bit by something. I don't know. I can pick him up and love on him and nothing hurts. I am getting worming meds tomorrow from the vet. I'm sure he has them. That maybe why he had bloody stools. He hasn't lost any weight, but he is due next months anyway. I'll worm him earlier. I'll be giving some clavomox that I have. His right eye was destroyed in a fight about a year ago. That's when he first allowed me to touch him. since then he's such a baby. I had him neutered, and he's even more of a baby. anyway it looks like it has a discharge so I've gotta take care of it. He could come in, he would love to come in, but his BFF is another feral that I've taken care of. If one of them has a fight with one of the other ferals that I have, the other one will come in and stand next to the one fighting in order to protect the other one. They sleep together, are almost never more then 5-10 feet from each other. I already have 2 dogs inside, 2 young cats, both rescues, and I'm socializing another feral kitten getting her ready for adoption. That's not including my 3 horses, 2 of which are rescues. (I'm glad my kids have moved out)..

Mary
post #11 of 17
So happy to read that OC is better !

I understand what you are saying about the kids moving out and rescues moving in. My daughter moved on to college then another city. I found myself with three orphaned kittens then added 4 feral cats, a rescue dog and my poor sick resident sheltie with Cushings.....what a zoo! That was over a year ago and somehow everything has worked out.

Wishing OC and his friend a happy life. You are doing an awesome job looking after everyones needs. Kudos to you!
post #12 of 17
Wonderful update to read!!! Blessings to all of you
post #13 of 17
I sure hope this STAYS a happy ending!

Laurie
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well, update on OC. He is doing great. You would never know anything was ever wrong. I don't understand it. Next time I go to my vets office, I'm going to tell her about it and see what she thinks. I just can't figure out what happened. He really was less then 10 minutes from death, and I think that 10 min. was wishful thinking. all I can say is thank heavens that I didn't take him right to the vet. so now at the moment, everything is good, all outdoor ferals are fine, my 2 indoor girls are getting better each day. cleo doesn't run from me anymore, and the new foster kitten loves licking my hand and rolling over on her back to have her belly rubbed. Of course, she has to stand up on her back legs and hiss at me first. I just tell her " it's been noted and I'm not impressed" then I pet her and then I pick her up and kiss her sweet little face. She will get used to it before long. In fact, it's only been 2 days, and she seems to enjoy it. I don't think she will have to stay here very long.

Mary
post #15 of 17
I am so glad OC is ok. I can't believe those "rescue" people were so quick to want to have him euthanized. Good for you for taking care of him and helping him recover.
post #16 of 17
I am glad OC is OK as well and all has turned out for the best (yay OC!) but...I hope this thread does not turn anyone away from getting their animals vet care. It is very important to get any animal that is showing serious signs of distress to a vet. They won't put an animal down without your permission, its your call on that. They may suggest it, but it is your decision to make.
*climbs down off of soap box*
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
I agree 100%. He should have gone to the vets. By the time I changed my clothes and grabbed my bag, he was gone. couldn't find him. It wasn't till 10pm that we found him in the hay stall in the barn. By then he was looking so much better. If I had taken him to the vet, I know it would have been to put him to sleep. He was in such bad shape. Sometimes things happen for a reason. I think, no, I know he heard what we were talking about with the vet, and he decided that he wasn't ready for that yet. that's why I think he left. But he is so smart, he knew, and hid so he could take care of himself. I'm one that takes my furbabies to the vet anytime I think something is wrong. Most of the time I am 100% correct. the first thing to do is always take your pet to the vet in case there is anything wrong. glad you brought this subject up.

Mary
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › My Orange Cat has been hurt,,,,Need advice