Toads.....yes, real ones.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of our routine here is to check all the window wells because toads jump in and can't jump out, so they end up dying.

Today we got a 2 for 1.

Normally my DD just reaches in and grabs them, but for this well we have to use a net.

So the toads have been safely relocated to the flower bed with no window well, and they can resume slug control

By the end of the season, we usually have some pretty big toads in our gardens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I love toads! Those guys look different from the toads we have here. Do you know what kind they are?
I think they are Fowler's toads.... one of the main native species to my area.

(had to google it)

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend's little sister called me earlier today and asked me if I wanted a toad.

Apparently she brought one back from Indiana but didn't know what to do with it. We don't have them around here. I agreed to take it since I've had frogs/toads before... Now I just need to go buy some moss to give it a nice place to live.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, toads are awesome! We have many of them around at the moment and they're quite fun little guys.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

My friend's little sister called me earlier today and asked me if I wanted a toad.

Apparently she brought one back from Indiana but didn't know what to do with it. We don't have them around here. I agreed to take it since I've had frogs/toads before... Now I just need to go buy some moss to give it a nice place to live.
Too cute. Along with the moss, you'll need some food... unless you are going to catch food from outside?

I didn't know this but thanks to the site Willowy posted:

Warning Toads have enlarged glands (called the paratoid glands) on the side of the neck, one behind each eye. These glands secrete a viscous white poison that gets smeared in the mouth of any would-be predator, inflaming the mouth and throat and causing nausea, irregular heart beat, and, in extreme cases, death. Toads pose a danger to pets, which may pounce on and bite them. Humans should take care to wash their hands after handling a toad, and to avoid touching the mouth or eyes until having done so.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/d...?recnum=AR0006

We have always washed our hands, but I didn't know the above.

The first time I found out, scared the crap out of me. Doing some gardening in the raised beds, reached under a hosta, and a toad jumped out at me. It's funny now
but I was really startled.

I'm glad they are here though. We had horrible slug probs the first yr we gardened
but the following yr was when I found my first toad.... then we kept finding them from then on. Some yrs its just 2 or 3...other years its 6-8... This year so far we've rescued 4 from the window wells.

I don't keep them or anything, I let them go their merry way and HOPE they come back next year.... which they have so far. I'd actually miss em if they were gone....and my hostas would be a mess from the slugs.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww what beautiful toadies! I heard that frogs appear where the soil condition is good, wonder if that's the same for toads. Great to hear they are contributing to slug control

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute 'lil fellas...we have a tree frog that sits up by our porch light, and eats all the bugs..LOL he is so cute, the kids named him Fred

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Too cute. Along with the moss, you'll need some food... unless you are going to catch food from outside?
I have a frog, so I already have some crickets.

I know about the poison, I've owned toads before. They will also pee on you as a defense mechanism if they feel threatened. The toxin (at least for American Toads, which is the type this guy is) is not harmful unless you ingest it.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever thought of putting a board or something in there so that the toads could get back out?

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so cool! I love frogs and toads... I wish I saw more of them! On out recent camping trip we got to see some cool lizards and a couple of frogs, they are way neat!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandy2u1

Have you ever thought of putting a board or something in there so that the toads could get back out?
Good idea actually.

If there ever comes a time where we can't check every day or two, I will do that

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How cute! I love toads! I even brought one home from the prison where I worked because an inmate kicked it. (Yeah, you know me, he got an earful!)

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of toads too, but I always relocate any that I find. They always end up inside the bobcat enclosure and then the bobcats, especially Boris, try to eat them.