Do you work out...? What kind of work outs do you do??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello lovely people

I have another random question...it's about fitness!
If you work out, what kind of work out do you prefer?
I have started to enjoy working out lately..knock on wood I hope I stick to it. But I find it relaxing and a nice healthy way to get away from stress for a while..
I've been doing running on treadmill, training for longer endurance. I listen to music or watch TV while running. I used to not be able to run on a treadmill but I discovered the answer to that is a very nice and comfortable pair of running shoes.
I used to do elliptical but somehow, I use it at a higher speed than I normally run and I burn lots more calories with such a small effort. I feel like it's not accurate and can't be right. So I just run instead now

I have a friend who told me that running is bad for your knees in the long run so I might switch to cycling...

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mostly lift weights on Nautilus machines. I do that 3 times a week. I get a pretty good cardio workout while doing that, but if I want a little extra I'll use an elliptical machine. I don't like the stress that running puts on my joints, and I can't really get my heart rate up enough on a treadmill if I don't run, so I much prefer the elliptical.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I the mom work out
I carry around my 18lb child while I do house work, take the dog for a walk, and all the other stuff I do.

Sometimes I use him as a weight
He thinks its a game and I get some "heavy lifting" in.

But really, I just walk the dog 2-3 times a day. It is the only exercise I really have time for!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend and I just started a workout initiative, as we're both off for the summer. The goal is to do at least 30 minutes a day, regardless of which method we choose (we do not live near each other, so we will not be working out together).

I HATE working out, so I don't do the gym/workout equipment (had an elliptical, used it once, and then it bacame a place to hang clothes).

I bought EA Sports Active for the Wii. It's got various activities, including ones that are based on sports so that it seems a little less tedious. I've tried it a couple times and it kicked my butt on a 20 minute workout! So, I think it should work well.

On days I feel like a change/something lighter, I will just take a bike ride.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...Well, I like to exercise, so this is my schedule:

Mon. Zumba class
Tues. a cardio and strength class for 1 hour
Wed. a stretch class in the am and a salsa class at 5 pm
Thurs. - a core and stretch class. Then I may use the equipment upstairs or swim.
Friday - a weight sculpting class
Sat. & Sun - salsa classes

I am stepping up my swimming this summer

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I bought EA Sports Active for the Wii. It's got various activities, including ones that are based on sports so that it seems a little less tedious. I've tried it a couple times and it kicked my butt on a 20 minute workout! So, I think it should work well.
I use this too! The first time I used it my thighs were sorer then they've ever been in my life!! But it got much better. I love it.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just started working out as well, hopefully we'll keep up with it as well!

We've been doing treadmill and swimming (easy on my knees) and walking the dog run and such.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work out regularly. For the most part, it's pretty strenuous. I'm an amateur power lifter and I'm very familiar with lifting heavy things. I've always been able to lift heavy things due to an unusually high density of muscle in my body. Power lifting is just a natural fit for me.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ride two lazy horses every day!
That alone burns like 1000 calories if not more! I walk my dog, I do weight lifting sometimes. When I was on the team I would do 30 min weights adn 30 cardio, but i have since gotten lazy about that... Basically taking care of the horses is enough energy for me, i coe home extrememly tired lol.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walk with my sister who lives nearby, we do an hour a day. Luckily we have the climate to do this year round.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

I use this too! The first time I used it my thighs were sorer then they've ever been in my life!! But it got much better. I love it.
That was my problem too! I walked around for a day with wobbly legs and then woke up the next 2 days with REALLY sore thighs! I kept yelling "NO MORE LUNGES!" at the TV. Since thighs are the area I'd like to work on, I guess it's a good thing.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do pole fitness. Its a lot of fun, I dont even realize I'm working out. It starts with stretching, then you dance and do pole tricks for awhile, and then do strength training afterwards (push ups, crunches, plank holds, etc). I have a pole at home to work out with as well. Been doing it for almost 7 months now, so easy for me to stick to!
I have noticed more upper body strength, and people I work with have commented on muscle definition.

Rob & I had joined a gym once and it was fun for a couple months, then we kind of stopped going after 6 months (with an 18 mo membership!)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have COPD and it was recommended by their clinic that I get a personal trainer or join a fitness place. Hubby and I took a couples membership at our local fitness centre which is very much like Curves. We go 3 times per week.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well both of my jobs are fairly physical. Landscaping in the beginning of the season-with spreading mulch, removing old plants is some upper body. This time of the year is alot of weeding so its more like doing hours of squats!!

As for my other job I am on my feet for my 6 hours shift the entire time and always moving.
Carrying the pans and baking sheets around is a teeny bit of lifting.

But my gardens in my yard is quite time consuming. I worked 6 1/2 hours in veg garden alone. If I want more exercise I put the weeds on two wheeled garden cart and walk it over to the dumping ground on our property. If I'm in a hurry I'll use the cart and ATV.
In the late fall and winte months we haul in our firewood to the basement and this year we will go to the woods on our farm property and cut some more.

But I have been walking about 2.5 miles at least 3 days week. I have a treadmill that is mainly used in the winter. As well at the Wii Fit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I am impressed with how many people are doing so well in keeping up their fitness level!!
I did some cycling today but it was soo hard!! And on top of that it doesn't burn as many calories...So I will probably be back to running tomorrow.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I do yoga but I don't like it. I dislike all exercise but yoga is the least horrible with the most benefits. I love walking and swimming so I don't consider those exercise.
I know exactly what you mean, I like yoga the most too! The only problem is I don't have time or money for a yoga class..i've tried doing it on my own but it's not a good idea, it can result in injuries or simply not doing the poses right. I hope I get some time and start a yoga class I know there are a few free ones at the community center here.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work out 3-4 times a week. I love yoga but I need to lose weight so I do cardio for 45 minutes then weight training and sometimes a yoga class. I just started doing something called hot power vinyasa. You really sweat but I do think it's a cardio workout.