What is your opinion on vaccinations?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've recently been studying the effects of too many vaccines in humans and cats (but about ninety percent cats). I didn't know it was such a heated subject! So, what is your take on vaccination? My cats only get three-year rounds of rabies and distemper.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very upset with the rabies law. They need to change it. I vaccinate for rabies every 3 years but only because it's the law- I know it isn't necessary and I want to be safe in case Jake bites someone.
As far as other vaccines- Jake got kitten series and will get a booster when he turns 1, after that I don't plan to do any more. He got FVRCP- rhino, calici, panleukopenia and he also got chlamydia but I am not vaccinating for that anymore, ever.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might get me in hot water with some around here but it is the way it is at my house because of my personal beliefs.

The only shots the cats get around here is rabies and only when they get spayed/neutered. I do not do it every year, I do not do it every 3 years. The reason why I do not do more than that on rabies is because my cats are indoors only and they have no desire to go outside. Even when Pong (RIP) and Tiny where in heat they never tried to go outside. Because of that I see no reason to subject them to that shot anymore then I have to.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats received their kitten shots and get yearly rabies--although I believe they are changing to 3 year rabies soon. They are indoor only and I don't believe in vaccinating more than that.

Leslie

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

My cats received their kitten shots and get yearly rabies--although I believe they are changing to 3 year rabies soon. They are indoor only and I don't believe in vaccinating more than that.

Leslie
except I do not know if we have the 3yr rabies shot..... if we do, I will get that.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats got their kitten shots. They're 100% indoor and there's no cat licensing in AZ, so I haven't gotten them any other shots since we moved (about 2 years ago). I'm moving to TX soon so I may need to bring them current for that.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only Cleo gets the Rabies shot and that is because I show her and would be in trouble if she bit a judge.
Coco has not had shots since she was 10 because they are not safe for her anymore.
The others get the RCCP shot and that is it.
We do not have a Rabies law here for cats.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently changed my beliefs on vaccination. All three of my cats got their kitten shots, whatever they recommended (I can't remember now, since it was a long time ago.) I never got any boosters since the initial shots. Last month, when I took them in for their yearly bloodwork, my vet (who I trust explicitly) recommended the rabies vaccine. There has been a huge increase of reported rabid bats in Midland county. I have bats in my neighborhood, and watch them fly over my raspberry patch and vegetable v garden at dusk, nearly every night. The Michigan laws about destroying an un vaccinated animal who has come in contact with a rabid bat, scares the bejeebers out of me. When I first bought my house (long before the 'girls', I found a dead bat in my garage. I don't want to take the chance that they could come inside. Dr. Sue's opinion that the recombinant rabies vaccines are safer, because the don't use the adjuvents which are implicated in VAS (Vaccine Associated Sarcoma.) I would like to petition the state to adopt a 3 year rabies schedule, but am unsure of how to go about it.

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I have recently changed my beliefs on vaccination. All three of my cats got their kitten shots, whatever they recommended (I can't remember now, since it was a long time ago.) I never got any boosters since the initial shots. Last month, when I took them in for their yearly bloodwork, my vet (who I trust explicitly) recommended the rabies vaccine. There has been a huge increase of reported rabid bats in Midland county. I have bats in my neighborhood, and watch them fly over my raspberry patch and vegetable v garden at dusk, nearly every night. The Michigan laws about destroying an un vaccinated animal who has come in contact with a rabid bat, scares the bejeebers out of me. When I first bought my house (long before the 'girls', I found a dead bat in my garage. I don't want to take the chance that they could come inside. Dr. Sue's opinion that the recombinant rabies vaccines are safer, because the don't use the adjuvents which are implicated in VAS (Vaccine Associated Sarcoma.) I would like to petition the state to adopt a 3 year rabies schedule, but am unsure of how to go about it.

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
I had some issues with this before too. I think based on my research I found out all states have a 3 year schedule but they follow the vaccine manufacturer's recommendations: if the manufacturer says it's good for 3 years then it's legal to do it every 3 years. The problem is that the safest vaccine, the recombinant one that you mentioned is only approved for 1 year by the manufacturer. If they manufacturer approves it for 3 years we'll be good and they are working on getting it approved.

I'd be more interested in petitioning for them to approve a 5 year rabies schedule law because based on research it has been proven that all rabies vaccines are good for at least 5 years before they do a booster.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I realize I may receive some heat over my belief for vaccines, but here it goes anyhoo:

I vaccinate my cats for everything yearly (can't remember exactly what they get) and I make sure they always have their rabies current. Even though they're indoors, it's still important for me because I occasionally foster and don't want to take any chances. It's especially important that Taylor have her rabies, because she has been known to bite (non-aggressively, but it's still very hard when she does bite) and I don't want any problems with people.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't worry about yearly boosters. My vet recommends every 3 yrs for those. I like to have them done because if I bring in a rescued cat I don't want to worry about their contact with the new cat and what they could get. Basically if a cat needs a place for the night or a weekend I want to be able to help.

I get a yearly rabies because its the law and the 3 yr has some negative drawbacks to it. I also know that even though my cats are indoor they could come in contact with bats or other critters that may find their way in the house. Bats are the #1 carrier of rabies. I don't want to take the chance that they could be euthanized because I neglected to get the vac'd.

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat was given the necessary vaccinations including her annual rabies vaccine. At 3 yrs old, she died after going into anaphylactic shock from a rabies vaccine. It has been a year and a half since she died and I'm still very sad and mad at what happened.

I still don't have solid answers as to why she died. Until I have a guarantee that all vaccinations are safe and there is no risk at all and something like that will not happen again, I will not vaccinate yearly. My boys each got their vaccines... ONCE. They are done. I keep them strictly indoors and because of that I don't vaccinate - there is a lot of research out there stating that vaccinations last a lot longer than they are marketed for.

I don't feel that I'm above the law, and I understand there are reasons for it, but after that horrific experience, I chose to make the decision to do what I believe is best for my cats.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well listening to everyone on here, I may just change my beliefs about vaccinating annually. This may be a stupid question, but would the regular annual vaccinations last 3 years?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen too many vaccine-related deaths, not only cats but dogs too. I don't believe in them.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, you all are beginning to change my mind. I just took what the vet said for granted. Now I gave my older two the kitten shots and the year booster, but I was told they would not need to be given shots again until they are 7 (this year) because they would be exclusively indoors.

Can anyone point me to a few good articles on this from reliable sources? I'd really like to look into this more. You know, my first cat lived till 20 and did not get any additional vaccines after his kitten and year 1 booster...

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was bringing in rescues I kept veryone current, but now that no new cats are coming in (and yes I'm sticking to it) I don't think that it's neccisary. All are indoor only, with the exception of my escape artist, and he gets all the shots. He never gets farther than the front porch, but I feel safer with him fully vaccinated.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get all their kitten shots and a booster at one year and nothing else beyond rabies.
I do live in an area with high rabies risk, otherwise I'd probably stop that one as well.
My 15 year old no longer gets rabies vax due to health concerns.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DragulescuGirl

Hmmm, you all are beginning to change my mind. I just took what the vet said for granted. Now I gave my older two the kitten shots and the year booster, but I was told they would not need to be given shots again until they are 7 (this year) because they would be exclusively indoors.

Can anyone point me to a few good articles on this from reliable sources? I'd really like to look into this more. You know, my first cat lived till 20 and did not get any additional vaccines after his kitten and year 1 booster...
I'm with you- if anyone could produce articles on this, that would be great. I always went by what my vet said, too. And now I'm questioning my vet... I feel I should know more about what goes into my pets' bodies. What if they very rarely go out with a leash and harness? I hardly do it, but it does happen sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give my cats distemper because it the most effective and rabies because it is required. I'm not taking the risk of killing my cats for something that may or may not work. Sure, vaccine-related cancer is "rare", but all the stastistics I've seen go per shot, not per cat. Imagine how many vaccines a cat gets in his/her lifetime. JMO.