green plants in pet store???

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are these safe for my cat to eat. They look like thin green strands that come potted. Pro/cons??

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjc

Are these safe for my cat to eat. They look like thin green strands that come potted. Pro/cons??
Are you talking about cat grass?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Are you talking about cat grass?
Yes!! thats it..I couldn't think of the correct name..thanks =^.^=

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats eat grass in the wild, and housecats allowed outdoors eat grass. Not all cats like cat grass, and it'll never be enough for them to live on, but it's safe enough and some people even think that cats need it because grass has different nutrients that cats wouldn't get any other way plus it helps them clear hairballs or something.

Obviously, when grass is grown for a cat to eat fresh out of the pot, it should be grown without pesticides or herbicides.

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks..I'm going to try it...I need to entertain Pumpkin...I'm his only playmate..LOL

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat grass at the pet store is ridiculously expensive. You can get a nice pot, some potting soil (no fertilizer or organic fertilizer only), and some whole wheat berries at a health food store, and grow your own. I do it all the time. I think the kind I get is hard red winter wheat, but I'm sure any variety would work.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten both - the stuff you grow yourself (Petsmart has seeds over by the catnip area) and the live stuff when I want it in a hurry. My boy in particular enjoys eating it. Once in a while you may find a little present of the grass (sort of like a hairball) - I've had no issues getting it up with an enzyme cleaner off white carpet (my prior owner obviously wasn't anticipating cats!).

Oh, I bought organic dirt for growing the seeds from Ace - luckily, apparently everyone at my Ace has a pet - people were falling over themselves helping me pick out the right stuff!

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again. I'm going to try the live stuff first..I have a $3 coupon for petsmart. I don't have much of a green thumb

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjc

I don't have much of a green thumb
Neither do I, LOL. You don't need it for wheat grass. It grows like crazy and there's nothing you can do to stop it. But it probably is a good idea to go with the store-bought stuff for now. At least find out if your cat likes it first.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can get a pot of the pre-grown stuff and then scatter seeds into it to regrow as they eat it.

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

You can get a pot of the pre-grown stuff and then scatter seeds into it to regrow as they eat it.
thats a great idea..thanks

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Inspired by this thread, I'm trying again to grow some wheat grass in a small plant pot. Panther won't let it get over half an inch tall before she chomps on it and tears the roots out of the dirt. Silly kitty, let it grow a little first and you'll have more.

My new apartment (in about three weeks) will have a private balcony that I'll be able to let the cats go out on. I'm going to try to grow a bunch of grass and catnip out there for them to munch on. The only thing I'm not sure about is how to keep them from using their garden as a litterbox...I know that once the plants are established it's just fertilizer, but I'm going to be growing from seeds so I don't want the cats to over-fertilize and fry the sprouts.