any normal, mentally stable, healthy cats out there?

stubbys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes this forum scares me. I manage a feral cat colony (heartbreaking but rewarding) but my experience is more towards the wild, not the domestic cat. By nature, I am a dog person, but have always had an out door cat or two. Lat year, I brought my cats in and it was a very easy transition. One of the cats died a few months ago, and we added a second cat. I could leave the door wide open and neither cat wodul make a dash for the out doors. Basically I have only had "indoor cats" for 6 months now. They are not declawed, do not scratch on the furniture, they use the litter box and I only have on inside and one on the porch. They love the dogs, each other and seem to like the humans ok. I am blessed, as other than the fact my husband is very allergic and really does not love the cats, I do not have any problems. Is this unusual to have such a harmonious animal pack? I am ready and willing to deal with age issues and failing health, but it seems everyone on this board has problems. Is it possible to have cats and just everyone get along and actually live a long healthy life with out all the problems? Just curious. I wish more people woukd mix this forum up woth some happy cat stories too.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course there are. Just read "Therapy Cats for my autistic brother". It's just that this forum is more for behavior problems and asking for advice on how to deal with them. And of course, there is no normal cat. At least, not according to my two!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stubbys Mom

Sometimes this forum scares me. I manage a feral cat colony (heartbreaking but rewarding) but my experience is more towards the wild, not the domestic cat. By nature, I am a dog person, but have always had an out door cat or two. Lat year, I brought my cats in and it was a very easy transition. One of the cats died a few months ago, and we added a second cat. I could leave the door wide open and neither cat wodul make a dash for the out doors. Basically I have only had "indoor cats" for 6 months now. They are not declawed, do not scratch on the furniture, they use the litter box and I only have on inside and one on the porch. They love the dogs, each other and seem to like the humans ok. I am blessed, as other than the fact my husband is very allergic and really does not love the cats, I do not have any problems. Is this unusual to have such a harmonious animal pack? I am ready and willing to deal with age issues and failing health, but it seems everyone on this board has problems. Is it possible to have cats and just everyone get along and actually live a long healthy life with out all the problems? Just curious. I wish more people woukd mix this forum up woth some happy cat stories too.
There are lots of happy stories about cats here! Ferrals colonies, rescued kittens, all happy endings. Sure, there are some tragic things to be read here, but that is the nature of having any animal or mantaining a colony, bad stuff may happen. A lot of people here post because they they have found an animal, don't know what to do, or are faced with health problems with a pet. They come here for support and help. We do the best we can to provide that. It isn't all negative.
You are lucky in that all your cats get along and you have no problems, but that is just not the case in many situations.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to spend more time in the fur pictures forum. Most pictures in there are of the happy, playful, cute and adorable variety.

Honestly though, people join this site usually because they have a problem they are trying to solve. A few join just to show off their cats, but that usually comes later on (in fur pictures).

Most people here have great success stories. You could open up a thread in the cat lounge and ask for the happy stories - bet you'll have a huge thread on that topic!!

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well this is posted under behavior...so most of the threads are about behavior problems. I think there are usually some funny, good stuff on 'Whats New, Pussycat' and also in the pictures part (I forget what it's called). There are probably other places too...I just haven't been to all of them yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stubbys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the direction and being so upbeat. I will enjoy the other links. I was beginning to think the roof woudl cave in any day!! Don't get em wrong, I have my issues, with the dogs adn the cats ands especially the ferals. I always seem to find a solution and many have been found here.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

You need to spend more time in the fur pictures forum. Most pictures in there are of the happy, playful, cute and adorable variety.

Honestly though, people join this site usually because they have a problem they are trying to solve. A few join just to show off their cats, but that usually comes later on (in fur pictures).

Most people here have great success stories. You could open up a thread in the cat lounge and ask for the happy stories - bet you'll have a huge thread on that topic!!
Agreed completely. Especially the point in bold; it's a great idea.

My cats get along with my dogs very, very well. There's definitely a harmonious mixture, and I haven't had many problems at all. They're "mentally stable" and healthy (though of course health problems can crop up with any cat), and very different. There's no such thing as a "normal" cat.

I lurked here when I had time of catlessness (truly painful) and then joined when I brought home Molly, finally feeling I could join in the community because I had a cat. So I joined here because I love the forum and wanted to be a part of it (and I know where to go when I need advice!), though many people come across this forum when they're looking for help with their kitties. So of course the behavior and health areas are going to have lots of problems there.
Look in the other areas if you're looking for only the good parts of having a cat. There's lots to find.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many people who have cats who live in purr-fect harmony (me not being one of them). However, some cats do not handle multi-pet environments well - and thus you get behavior problems.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just as a newspaper tends to accentuate the unusual, so the "problem forums" tend to bring out the problems. Natural enough.

We have 3 great cats. Are they totally normal? What's that? Are they perfectly healthy? About as much as possible.

One, Punkin, is the best cat we've ever had. Virtually no problems. But he's not cuddly. And so every cat has it quirks.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, my cats (including the one who died in 2007) have always been absolute stress-free joys to have around. The only time I had a problem was when I arranged to have a housecall vet come give them their checkups -- that freaked one of them out for a day but he's back to himself a year later. (I'd be freaked out too if a stranger came to my house and started jabbing me with sharp objects. I should have thought it through better.)

They also have all gotten along very well with each other. No fights, except play-fights.

My hunch is a lot of the "problems" posted are from folks who are new to cats, some of whom expect them not to behave like cats. Also, a lot of times (I think)people write in who have never introduced cats to each other before and try to just throw them together.

Also, I think most of the time people don't look up something on the internet and land on a site unless it's prompted by a problem.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to say that when there's not perfect harmony in those relationships, it doesn't mean there's something "wrong" with the cat or that they're "mentally unstable."
Cats just vary like people do. Their personalities can clash, some have a much shorter fuse for crap from other cats, etc.

amz223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stubby's Mom,

I know you asked for happy stories and wanted some postive things, but as you work with ferral cats I wonder if you might be able help me with my cats behaviour problems...

I would really appricaite it if you could have a quick glance at my thread under behaviours and let me know if there is anything I can do about my cat's problems, I am at a dead end at the moment!

Thank you

Amy

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two cats that have always gotten along beautifully. Other than some digestive problems a while back with one them that resulted in some large vet bills from hospitalization, there have been no health problems. I got my second cat as a 2 month old kitten when my other cat was 5 months old. I didn't know any better at the time and just put them together from the beginning. They got along great from the first moment. One is 6 and the other one is almost 6 now and I have had no litter box problems and they both scratch on the things that I have provided for them to use. Reading some of the problems on this forum makes me realize how lucky I am. I think most people with cats have experiences like mine, we just have no reason to post to a forum for behavior problems.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Well.... any normal, mentally stable, healthy PEOPLE out there?
I have one cat, three dogs
they get along.
People love cats, families own cats, whole cultures love kitties, there are happy normal kitties out there, either that or a lot of delusional human beings.

I also sometimes see a lot of problems in these posts on behavior forums, makes me happy with just my one kitty.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Well.... any normal, mentally stable, healthy PEOPLE out there?
I wonder that all the time.

IMHO, the gene pool needs a little chlorine.