Koi, anyone?

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mismaris' goldfish thread made me think of my dream of someday having a koi pond! Has anyone here ever had one?

I would probably never do it at my current residence (for one thing, I'd like to have a bigger yard), but it's something I like to think about.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Mismaris' goldfish thread made me think of my dream of someday having a koi pond! Has anyone here ever had one?

I would probably never do it at my current residence (for one thing, I'd like to have a bigger yard), but it's something I like to think about.
My folks have a huge one. I don't really like the stye of it, just looks like a swimming pool with fish, I prefer the traditional Japanese style. My dream would be to have a Japanese garden, with the koi, so beautiful and peaceful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it an above-ground pond? How long have they had it?

I think the fish are so beautiful; they can get quite large and live for a long time.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Is it an above-ground pond? How long have they had it?

I think the fish are so beautiful; they can get quite large and live for a long time.
No, it is sunk into the ground. They have had it 2 years now. The liner is skyblue which is why it reminds me of a swimming pool, and they have it decorated goofy, IMO. Plastic giant frogs and all sorts of kitch, just not my style.
The fish are beautiful, and they treat them like they are they are their babies! The winter was harsh, even with a heater some fish were lost, very sad.
They have a small pond at their other house,(same state, WI) I stayed there for a while, and you really do get to know the fish. We lost a few there too from the bad winter and I cried my eyes out!
ETA My favorite, I nicknamed him "turd" because though a stunning gold/brown, he just looked dull brown in the water ( smaller pond, black liner) We lost him over the winter.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that some of the fish didn't make it!

I asked about cold weather when I last visited the aquarium store in my neck of the woods. The gentleman there (he does stock koi in his shop, and he has some lovely ones) said that koi can handle our winters, but a pond must be at least three feet deep. Your winters in the Upper Midwest are usually much colder than ours, though.

I don't know what people do for *hot* weather extremes. Believe it or not, that can be an issue in the Northeast. Even when I had a freshwater tank (indoor), I had problems because I didn't have central air. When it's 90-plus degrees outside, it can be a challenge to keep a tank at optimum temperature.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you have shady areas and good circulation, the heat shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Koi can get to be 3 feet long, so don't overstock! They sure are pretty, though.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They may well be. I think they are illegal in at least one state here in the US. Not in mine, though...