How to keep cats cool in hot weather?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My foster kitties are in my spare bedroom upstairs where unfortunately it's hottest. We have no A/C upstairs and it's going to be 99 today which means their room will be disgustingly hot.

What can I do to keep them cool?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen folks who freeze bottles of water and let the cats lay near them. Some wrap them in towels.

Another member put her marble cutting board in the freezer and then covered it with a towel for the cats to lay on/near.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Presuming that it will not be possible to relocate them, this may help.

Lots of other ideas here.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Presuming that it will not be possible to relocate them, this may help.

Lots of other ideas here.
Interesting.... I did not know that cats sweat through their paws...that sure explains why the ice cubes in the water bowl make Kitchi like to get his paws wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great, thanks Blaise. I wonder if we can make that TCS link a stickie during summer?

I remembered some of those things, and had put a baking tray in the freezer for them, and just wiped them all with a wet cloth. I couldn't find anything useful on the internet and knew there was stuff here somewhere!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hot here today that my in/out cat only wants to be in where the air conditioning is.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Interesting.... I did not know that cats sweat through their paws...that sure explains why the ice cubes in the water bowl make Kitchi like to get his paws wet.
That would also explain why Aya likes to sleep with her paws dangling off the ironing board in front of the fan now that its summer, rather than in 'meatloaf' formation

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

That would also explain why Aya likes to sleep with her paws dangling off the ironing board in front of the fan now that its summer, rather than in 'meatloaf' formation
hmmmm

That would explain why both of my cats have suddenly become danglers too.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm caring for 4 outside cats.
A feral mommy and her two 7 +/- month old kittens, and a stray.
Can't bring them inside, they have to be outside in the 110 + degree weather.

We have a covered patio that has a flooring called "cool deck".
I made a shelter on the patio where they go. Now I am adding frozen water containers for them to lay around.

Yesterday the stray - I've named Gray - came to the patio door panting. Because he had a problem after surgery with overheating I had to try anything. I got cool wet cloths and rubbed him down, and when that wasn't really helping, I took him to our insulated, but not air conditioned, garage where the temp was "only" 92 degrees - it was about 115 outside - so there was a definite temperature drop. I gave him fresh, cool water and put down an icepack. I left the side door slightly open so he could leave when he wanted to. Later I found him back under the patio shelter and laying by an ice container.

Today promises to be hotter, but there is some overcast, and we have winds today which will, hopefully, help.

I haven't checked out all the links yet, but going there now.