Question of the Day June 28th

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning All!!

I got the idea for today's question from a discussion we were having in yesterday's daily thread about movie's and their sequels.

Do you have a favorite movie with sequels and if so do you feel the sequels measure up to the original movie?

It is hard for me to come up with my most favorite because their have been several I really liked.

The first that comes to mind is of course Star Wars, which I really loved the first 3 and hated the prequels.

Alien is another which I prefered the 3rd and 4th to the first two.

I have to say the sequel I am really looking forward to seeing now is the one for Ice Age. I really loved the first two and the third also looks adorable.

I am sure there are tons of others out I could comment on but think I give someone else a chance.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a fan of "the Matrix" The first one was great, the second one I thought was terrible, and the third was OK, but nothing near as good as the first in the triology.

Edit: I agree about Ice Age, I love those movies!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw
The first couple were good, but the last couple I thought weren't as effective. But if you had never seen the first ones, the 3rd-5th would be considered good.

Resident Evil: I thought they all were fairly good.

Jaws: classic

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

I'd have to say the HARRY POTTER movie and it's sequels are my favorites. And yes, I think that the sequels stack up to the first movie.
I can't wait for the new one to come out.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lord of the Rings is my fave. I think the movies are so great because they were shot so close together and started out as a series, instead of cashing in on the sucess of a one-off movie.

Worse sequel IMO? Highlander 2. OMG, did that movie ever suck?!!!

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... Lord of the Rings (although I still prefer the books) was great. Aliens series was good, Matrix was good. Another film series, not sequels per se would be Fistfull of dollars, For a few dollars more and The good, the bad and the ugly with Clint. Worst, there are so many... Haloween, Friday the 13th, actually most horror series. Oh, add to the best list all of the Godzilla movies!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yourlovingcat

Hmmm... Lord of the Rings (although I still prefer the books) was great. Aliens series was good, Matrix was good. Another film series, not sequels per se would be Fistfull of dollars, For a few dollars more and The good, the bad and the ugly with Clint. Worst, there are so many... Haloween, Friday the 13th, actually most horror series. Oh, add to the best list all of the Godzilla movies!
I disagree with you about Haloween, the first one was scary as heck, all the others though, stupid. The first Friday the 13th not bad either. but all the others, again, blah, just became a gore fest.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Night in the Museum with Ben Stiller was very funny. The sequal Night at the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian was very good,

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shrek 1 and 2 I loved, Shrek 3, not so much.

All of the Harry Potter movies so far have been very well done and not a disappointment.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

I'd have to say the HARRY POTTER movie and it's sequels are my favorites. And yes, I think that the sequels stack up to the first movie.
Harry Potter....Harry Potter...Harry Potter...Harry Potter...Harry Potter and Harry Potter due out soon!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord of the Rings no doubt, but a close second for me would be the El Mariachi trilogy (El mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico).

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to agree on the LOTR and Harry Potter.

The first star trek movie was ok some of the following were well the quality was uneven!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the best sequel to a movie that is just as good or better as the original is The Godfather.

I'm an absolutely Harry Potter fanatic so I won't mention those, I'm wayyy too biased.
My favorite is the Order of the Phoenix. The same director did the 6th one and I CAN'T WAIT to see it.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Alien is another which I prefered the 3rd and 4th to the first two.
Hmm, I'm just the opposite. I thought the 2nd one (Aliens) was the best in the series.

Originally Posted by pushylady

Worse sequel IMO? Highlander 2. OMG, did that movie ever suck?!!!
I used to have friends who would get upset if you even mentioned that this movie existed.

Originally Posted by GailC

The first star trek movie was ok some of the following were well the quality was uneven!
The Star Trek movies had a weird odd/even thing going on IMO. The odd ones tended to be mediocre at best and the even ones tended to be pretty good. I thought the 2nd one was the best of the series.

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I disagree with you about Haloween, the first one was scary as heck, all the others though, stupid. The first Friday the 13th not bad either. but all the others, again, blah, just became a gore fest.
You must have missed my point. I said the Haloween sequels, along with most other horror movies, are the WORST, not the best. I agree with you completely, especially the one that doesn't even have michael meyers but deals with the evil masks that are being controled by a TV signal... Gastly!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Umm I have a few... lol
Lord of the Rings--I think the sequels might be a little better.
Pirates of the Caribbean---No I think the first is by far the best
The Bourne Trilogy--I liked Bourne Supremacy best
I know I am going to like the Twilight sequels and the Transformer sequels but I have yet to see them.
Harry Potter---I like the sequels