Freezing squashes advice needed

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am suffering from a glut of zucchini, long, round, yellow and green. I will have other squash ready in a week or two. I need to freeze some but when I have tried before, following instructions in my books, they never come out right but go tough and crystalline. Does anyone have any tips for successful freezing of vegetables like squash? The only solution I can think of is to make them all into soups or pies or ratatouillle before freezing, but that is so much work.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I either cooked em or shredded them prior to freezing. When freezing cooked squash, I placed it in a muffin pan. Once frozen I put them all into a ziploc bag. Then I could just thaw one or two. Tasted as good as fresh my family said (I don't eat it, except in soups).

I would freeze some that were half cooked, for my soups (cubes of squash).

I make squash bread, so I would freeze shredded squash into measured bags so I could just take out a bag to add into my recipe.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are freezing the summer squashes??

One of my books states for zucchini to wash and either shred cube or slice to blanch for three minutes. One can also can them using the cold or hot pack process.

Due to their high water content they are best reused in other dishes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Gail, these are summer squash. My book says slice and blanch two minutes, but as you say, in the past, the high water content makes them soggy and strange when recooked. Shredding for bread and soups might be a good idea - I make all my own bread now so I will try that. It sounds good. I might even make the bread now and freeze that!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be highly curious if anyone has a method other then pickling, cooking out. If you could freeze veggies such as zucchini, tomatoes.........it would be done. Freeze dried doesn't count!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Yes, Gail, these are summer squash. My book says slice and blanch two minutes, but as you say, in the past, the high water content makes them soggy and strange when recooked. Shredding for bread and soups might be a good idea - I make all my own bread now so I will try that. It sounds good. I might even make the bread now and freeze that!
ah, sorry....my info on freezing half cooked chunks, doesn't work with zucchini squash, it works well with acorn and butternut type of squash.

Zucchini, I stick to shredding and freezing for breads. (I usually make a bunch of loafs too, then freeze them too)

Honestly the only time I've blanched it is for feeding to my fish

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my food dehydrator I made zucchini chips. They weren't half bad. I suppose they could be added to soups and stews this way as well.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I,too, agree with shredding and freezing for zucchini. Mom made a killer zucchini bread with lots of cinnamon and nuts. I wish I could find the recipe.

Yeah, the bread freezes well, too. Dang it, Jenny, now I want some zucchini bread with cream cheese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jan, your mom's bread sounds great. I must experiment and I will send you some virtual slices! I found this online - does it sound familiar?

An easy zucchini bread, made with zucchini, cinnamon, and pecans.
Ingredients:
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°. In a mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder. With a hand mixer on medium speed, beat until ingredients are blended, or about 30 seconds. Add flour; mix until moistened. Stir in nuts and zucchini. Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for about 65 to 75 minutes, or until loaf tests done.