Worst. Teacher. EVER. (very long & very ranty)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week, our daughter finished Grade 5, and we are extremely relieved that her teacher is out of our lives. The man, Mr. C, was a loose canon and a bully to the children, he was inconsistent, unreasonable, disrespectful; and he got scarier and weirder as the year progressed.

Some of the other moms in this teacher's class are good friends of mine, and we have coffee together most Fridays, and the stories our kids told us all matched.

We had many family meetings about what to do with this teacher, and by the time we realized just how bad he had become, the year was almost over and all we could do was tell our daughter to stay away from him, watch him, and coach her how to act around him.

There were too many afternoons where our daughter came home, opened up, and cried. Many days she had to act all day like she didn't care when Mr. C was being particularly mean to her or the class.

Some Examples:

1. Daughter read a news story about the Western Tent Caterpillar (common here in the Spring) and how some people don't like them in their gardens and how they are poisoning the caterpillars to get rid of them. She was HORRIFIED! She loves those little guys; she has played with them every Spring for seven years.

She designed and printed up flyers explaining that the Western Tent Caterpillar has a right to live here, too, and that if you poison them you poison all of us, etc., and handed them out to her friends. Mr. C wanted one, so she gave him a flyer, and after looking at it he went into detail how he loves to kill them every Spring. On and on he talked about how he hates them and how he likes to kill them in mass numbers.

Two weeks later, he brought it up again to her out of the blue, and demonstrated to her how he stomps them! She reacted wonderfully, she just shrugged and walked away. But both times she came home and cried. (On the upside, she did raise awareness to many of her friends who now call themselves "caterpillar protectors", lol.)

2. Mr. C had nicknames for some (not all) of the kids, and the nicknames were always derogatory. One little girl who always followed him around and whom he would let sit in his chair at his desk all the time in front of the class he always referred to as "Stinky."

3. He took away all control from the kids regarding their grades. This is unforgivable for a teacher to do. It didn't matter what kind of work the children did, as far as any of us can see, he graded them according to his opinion!

Our daughter never had regular homework to do. She did have (only!) three projects to work on at home, and she worked on each one for about 15-20 hours, really gave them her best. She did an amazing job each time, but never got any feedback on them. She never got them back, never got a grade on them, never heard a comment, nothing.

The quizzes and tests were never returned to the kids, reports were never seen again, nobody knew what grades they made each session. Parents had no idea how their kids were doing, we never saw homework, test grades, anything but the three projects. And never knew what grade those got, either!

The only feedback was report cards, and they seemed very low to everybody, then every child's grades slowly went up each of the three sessions. All the same.

On our first parent/teacher meeting, we asked Mr. C for a list of our daughter's grades but he couldn't give us anything. We asked to see tests and quizzes and he said they weren't available.

In our second meeting, he showed us a paragraph our daughter wrote while doing an exercise on the parts of the paragraph. It looked fine to husband and I; she made the first sentence engaging and explanatory, she gave the details in subsequent sentences, then had a nice summary sentence. Mr. C said, "She was not giving this paragraph everything she could, she should have been more much creative in the paragraph!"

My husband pointed out, "But the exercise is writing a paragraph while demonstrating the three parts; she did that perfectly fine. The assignment wasn't to be creative, it was a grammar exercise." And who can be "on" and creative all the time anyway? I thought. But that's how Mr. C. graded - on how HE THOUGHT each child should be answering.

4. When Mr. C doesn't like what you are asking, he says "I don't know what you mean" and you rephrase and repeat several times and he keeps saying, "I don't know what you mean" until you give up.

5. He always told the kids that they should come to him with questions, but then he would get mad or belittle the kid if they actually did ask him something. Our daughter asked him to explain what "special spelling 'thing'" meant (she had been absent the day before), and after several "I don't know what you mean" answers he took her outside through the outside door and screamed at her!!!

6. He hated for the children to tell their parents anything, he said they should only come to him. (Thankfully, our daughter talks to us.)

7. He made up demeaning sayings using the real names of the some of the kid in his class, like "Don't pull a Thomas" or "Don't do a Linda."

8. One of my friends has a son in a wheelchair (Mr. C particularly liked to pick on him all year) and one day after Mr. C was writing on the chalkboard, he said, "Oh YUCK" while looking at the chalk on his hands, and went over to my friend's son and wiped his hands all over the boy's shirt. (And this is just one example of the kind of disrespect that went on all year.)

I could go on and on but have to stop at some point. Thank you for reading; it felt good to write that out!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a teacher in 3rd grade who grabbed my arm and twisted it around. I got in trouble for something pretty much every other day. That was the only grade I ever got in trouble in. I never ever got so much as a detention any of my other years in school from kindergarten to high school. I didn't tell my parents because I was afraid that I was really doing something wrong, and I didn't want to get in trouble at home too.

In retrospect, I wish I had said something. I wish I knew what happened to her so I could call her out on what she did and give her a sound telling off. You don't treat children that way. It scars them.

I'm angry for you. That guy sounds like a sack of

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my word!! All I can say is I'm glad for your daughter that the school year is over and that she survived it.

That man should not be a teacher nor should he EVER be allowed around children again. The parents of this years children should band together to warn next years class as early as they can and to get the school board involved.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a teacher kind of like that, only not so immature. Fortunately, I only had him part time (for advanced classes), so the damage wasn't too bad. Makes you wonder why that kind of people choose to take jobs involving children.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's an example of someone who should never be around children, much less teach them.
Now that the year is over, is there no recourse to report him? With the economy the way it is, tell me that they couldn't get ten other people who would love to have his job. Jerk.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1. Daughter read a news story about the Western Tent Caterpillar (common here in the Spring) and how some people don't like them in their gardens and how they are poisoning the caterpillars to get rid of them. She was HORRIFIED! She loves those little guys; she has played with them every Spring for seven years.
OMG I JUST learned what those are! We saw so many of them on our ride at Black Butte [in eastern oregon] the moths actually look really cool once they are done being the creepy caterpillars that wiggle around haha.

Anyway 5th grade must just be the year. When i was in 5th grade we had a crazy teacher who never had control over the class. The kids would run around on the desks and what not... we complained to the principal so he would "sit in" on the class and of course everyone behaved. As soon as he was out all bets are off.

At least it sounds like your kid isn't scarred, mad props to her!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The guy sounds wacko!

Is it a private school or public? Talk to the School Trustee and the Teacher's College and file a huge complaint listing everything you have done here.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your daughter had to endure a bully, especially one in a position of power over her. It's nice that she's open with you and your husband, though. It shows a strength in character.

This sure does make me think times have changed. Had this been me, or one of my brothers, my mother would have gone to the principal first, then the school board, and if neither of those places did anything, she'd have gone and demeaned and berated the teacher herself. Mature? Probably not, but then again, no teachers messed with any of us. They were kind of afraid of my mother.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The guy sounds wacko!

Is it a private school or public? Talk to the School Trustee and the Teacher's College and file a huge complaint listing everything you have done here.
I have to agree with this, and if other parents are seeing the same thing, it would help your case if there was strength in numbers when you file the complaint.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's horrible!! I can't believe this guy still has a job there... I've had a terrible teacher too, only when I was in kindergarden ( I still remember her lol). When I first got enrolled in kindergarden I hated being away from home and cried a lot- and one day when we were all outside ,there was a homeless guy walking around in the street outside the kindergarden, my teacher told me she would send me away with him if I don't stop crying. Ever since then every time I cried I was threatened with being sent away and given to the homeless people. Also another threat was that she would put me in the basement and lock me in there. I told my grandfather because he was the one who picked me up, he didn't believe me but asked the cleaning lady and she confirmed it- and they got me out of there and put me in another kindergarden. I agree with someone who said you should report him- he should be around kids!!!

catessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very common behaviour from some teachers. I have seen it in all my childrens education. My Opinion....nothing will happen if you complain except your child will become labled and other teachers will change how they act toward your child.. I learned this the hard way.

The best way to handle this is to explain to your child that the world is made of of many types of people and we have to tollerate and ignore those we don't care for or disagree with. Agree to disagree. She is likely to encounter people like this many times in her life.

She needs to learn to evaluate her battles and chose which ones are worth the personal pain she may fell as a result of fighting that battle.

As for the caterpillers:

The tent caterpillar if unchecked is a threat to our forrests. Even while being sprayed to control them the caterpillars can become so abundant that they are capable of completely defoliating tens of thousands of acres of forest. Diameter growth may be reduced as much as 90 percent.
Tree flowers may be eaten, nectar gathering by honeybees may be reduced, and seed production is diminished. During years when larvae hatch before leaves unfold, caterpillars mine buds. The quantity and quality of sugar maple sap are greatly reduced as a result of defoliation. The roads can get slick with them just like ice and cause accidents.

Would you like this on your home?
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/med...622a_500px.jpg

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As an educator and a person who choose teaching as a profession because I love kids this made me VERY angry!!

Teachers like him give our profession a bad rep!! GRRRRR I agree it will be very hard to get a complaint or any action done against him. Especially if he had tenure. However, I would submitt a letter of complaint to the principal AND the superintendent. These complaints do add up and could help to one day remove him from the classroom.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This teacher is a bad teacher. Unfortunately he is still teaching because parents like you and the others have not come forward with examples of his terrible behaviour to these children. He is a person in power in the classroom and he is abusing his power and the parents of these children are allowing it to happen. Next year he'll have a whole new class to terrorize. Let's hope that the parents of those children next year will report him to the Principal, school board, Province or whatever it takes to get him away from endangering those children. He is endangering them - certainly emotionally.

That may sound harsh, but if nobody is willing to come forward publicly and get justice for their kids, then this man is winning and negatively affecting these children in his charge. It's not enough to just complain about him - action needs to be taken to remove him from that situation.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminded me of something that happened over 25 yrs ago when I was a teacher's aide. There was a deaf school next door to the one I worked at and the children would come to our school for lunch. Since I only worked part time, I would leave as the children were being led to the cafeteria. One day, as I was leaving, I heard a commotion. A "teacher" or maybe it was an "aide" was leading a group of kids and one of them fell. This so called person started screaming at the kid (as if he could hear her) and she proceeded to yank him up by one arm to a standing position, yelling and jerking him at the same time. He was crying and is was apparent he didn't know why she was doing that to him. I immediately went to our principal and reported the incident. He had me stay while he called over to that school. I then was asked to go over to that school and file a report there. I was told at the time that this person was a substitute and would NEVER WORK AT THAT SCHOOL AGAIN! I was thanked for getting involved and never saw that person again..

That being said, I remember my 5th grade teacher. Miss Pelcher hated me with a passion. She also had hated my brothers before me. Once, I had an allergic reaction to a bug bite where my arm swelled up to twice its size and hurt like the dickens. I asked if I could go to the office to call my parents and she refused. I went at recess and was sent home. The next day, she was furious that I would do such a thing. I was so happy to get out of her class.

In your situation, I would go with all the other parents to the principal and file a complaint. Maybe you can save other kids from this so-called teacher!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs to lose his job. I don't know how your economy is there, but there are so many decent people out of work here that it wouldn't be hard to replace some loser.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need to say something to the school's principal if the teacher was that bad.

There must be something about grade 5. I didn't like my oldest's grade 5 teacher. There were these 2 girls there (and they both were older b/c they had been held back a grade) and I swear this teacher let them do whatever they wanted to. I sat in the classroom one day and wondered exactly who was in charge- these girls or the teacher?

And then my youngest's 5th grade teacher- UGH. Didn't care too much for her.

And my oldest's had at least 1 teacher every year that she hasn't really cared for since 6th grade. But NOTHING like what your child went through.

Cheryl

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You and the other parents need to band together and at the least write a letter to the Principal and Superintendent; at most you need to set up a meeting with both of those people, and make sure that every parent can give examples that their child gave to them. The grading, at the very least, is unacceptable, as is not being able to show parents how their child is graded.

Every thing you said is completely unacceptable for a teacher. Completely. Tenure or no, he needs to be disciplined or at least put under much closer scrutiny.

I just want to say it's not all 5th grade teachers.
My 5th grade teacher was amazing. I loved her and learned so much in her class. There are (or were) good ones out there, but the bad ones do need to be weeded out. But nothing will happen to them (and they know it!) if no one speaks up.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This guy sounds awful and he is abusing the kids verbally if not physically. I hope all of you parents band together and get rid of him. There are plenty of really good CA teachers who are laid off would might love Vancouver Island. Too bad our newly graduated daughter cannot teach there as she is only certified for 7 - 12.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words and experiences! For those of you who asked, my husband and I DID go to the principal twice before we realized it was useless. Unfortunately Mr. C is in a position of power in the school district here, and the principal of the school is a bobble-head (nods and agrees but does nothing).

It was insidious, though, like I said originally. Mr. C wasn't that bad the first session, mainly because we gave him the benefit of the doubt at first, and we had hopes things would improve the second session.

We couldn't really tell if things were better or not until the end of the second session. Then he started getting really mean and we decided (during a family meeting) that our daughter would ride out the last three months. She begged to stay in her school until the end. It would have been very unfair to her (she is a very social person) to take her out of the school at the very end of her last & 6th year at the elementary school, and take her away from all of her friends and and have her miss her year-end grad ceremony, etc.

Like Catessa said, the moms and I and my husband realized that the more we complained and protested, the more nasties were directed at our children. So we laid low and waited it out. We coached our kids how to react to Mr. C.

We are absolutely writing an extremely strong letter to the school board. In fact, I was working on the letter last night and getting more and more steamed which is why I took some of the examples and posted them here. There is also a exit questionnaire to fill out from the school district and I'm working on that, too. But this stuff had to be done now, when Mr. C can no longer take it out on our kid(s).

Originally Posted by Yosemite

...Unfortunately he is still teaching because parents like you and the others have not come forward with examples of his terrible behaviour to these children...
Your judgement is based on an untrue assumption!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Thanks for your kind words and experiences! For those of you who asked, my husband and I DID go to the principal twice before we realized it was useless. Unfortunately Mr. C is in a position of power in the school district here, and the principal of the school is a bobble-head (nods and agrees but does nothing).

It was insidious, though, like I said originally. Mr. C wasn't that bad the first session, mainly because we gave him the benefit of the doubt at first, and we had hopes things would improve the second session.

We couldn't really tell if things were better or not until the end of the second session. Then he started getting really mean and we decided (during a family meeting) that our daughter would ride out the last three months. She begged to stay in her school until the end. It would have been very unfair to her (she is a very social person) to take her out of the school at the very end of her last & 6th year at the elementary school, and take her away from all of her friends and and have her miss her year-end grad ceremony, etc.

Like Catessa said, the moms and I and my husband realized that the more we complained and protested, the more nasties were directed at our children. So we laid low and waited it out. We coached our kids how to react to Mr. C.

We are absolutely writing an extremely strong letter to the school board. In fact, I was working on the letter last night and getting more and more steamed which is why I took some of the examples and posted them here. There is also a exit questionnaire to fill out from the school district and I'm working on that, too. But this stuff had to be done now, when Mr. C can no longer take it out on our kid(s).

Your judgement is based on an untrue assumption!
I can definitely tell you based on my own experiences and not assumptions that you can even get your family doctor involved in a situation such as this. I find it difficult to believe that if you and all the other parents have reported this man to the proper authorities in the school system that they would have disregarded all the information and just dismissed your claims. If that is the case, then those persons that you reported him to also need to be brought to justice with the proper authority above them and something WILL be done.

I understand where you are coming from in that you were all afraid he would be worse to your children if you made his life difficult, but I personally will not tolerate bullies such as this teacher in any aspect of my life or my family's and I would not rest until I had done everything possible to remedy that bad situation. I would have had signed testimonials from every other parent and documented proofs and gone to the top if I had to.