Found kitty

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a kitty about 1 - 1 1/2 months ago and it has since become glaringly obvious that she is pregnant and will probably be delivering soon. Is there a way to tell 12-24 hours before she gives birth? Also, I have 4 other cats...I am assuming I should be separating them. I won't let her outside anymore since I don't know when, but boy is she hating me. Her name is Little One. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it helps any she is grooming like mad, especially in the genital region. That has been going on for like 2-3 days. Her tummy does get hard (I have 3 kids, not totally new to birth!) but it is sporadic and doesn't seem to last long. She has also been extra lovey lately. She and I bonded really quickly, but the past couple days she follows me everywhere and is frequently found on my lap. (Maybe I need to get moving more! lol!)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the babies move? And what do her nipples look like? Sounds like she may be close. Bless you for taking in this little girl.

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her nipples are out, don't feel full though. She is currently driving me NUTS because she wants so desperately to get outside, and i mean DESPERATELY. Gotta go guard the door for when hubby gets home.

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I can figure out how that is....Not sure if this is how to do it, we will see.

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She really is a little cat. Sorry for the many posts...wasn't sure how to do the pics so I wanted to see it before I wrote more.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prepare a feeding nest for her now. In some nice corner, preferably where she and the small can be isolated - be left in peace.

Did she daily get out the other days, and this is why she wants out? If not, she wants out to give birth outside... Thus once again, her time is near, prepare a nest so she sees you are supporting her, and she dont need to go out to have a nest.

Isolation form the other cats: Is she good friend with them? If yes, you dont need to overdo it - although she must have her peace if she wants.

good luck!

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her milk feels like it is coming in though, but there is no bloody show. She has me on pins and needles waiting. She is grooming constantly when she isn't asleep. Has finally stopped charging the front and back doors, just seems really tired. Thoughts?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds close. Does she have her "nest"? (We used a cardboard box with towels we never planned to use again
)

Good luck!

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The nest is ready, she likes it (so do the other cats!) and I added another blanket to it tonight for layering so I can hopefully not have SUCH a mess to clean up. I put a litter box right next to it, but haven't moved the food and water yet. She will be spending the nights in my room for now, unfortunately so does her old "uncle". I don't worry about him though, he is scared to death of kittens until they can wander, then they just make great play toys! He is turning 10 this year and is fixed, so he isn't violent at all. In fact the only problem I see with him is any time anyone in the house pays attention to another cat he noses in so he gets the loving, not them, again, not in a violent way...just possessive of his humans.

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Isolation form the other cats: Is she good friend with them? If yes, you dont need to overdo it - although she must have her peace if she wants.

good luck!
As for the other cats, yes, she runs up to them and rubs on them all the time. They certainly play, but in the weeks she has been here no-one has ever tried to hurt her. Oddly, they accepted her quickly after the first few days of hiding from her. We treat our cats well, so maybe they were just raised to love!
\t

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My past experiences tell me she will want to be alone and as isolated from other kitties as possible when she delivers. Although I am HUGE on spay/neutering, when one has a chance to actually see kittens born it is absolutely fascinating.

Twenty-two years ago our neighbors abandoned their female and moved - of course she was pregnant, and of course we took her in. She gave birth to two bouncing kittens, but the third one was stuck for a long time - she came out backward, tail and back leg first. Finally she was born, but this went on for an hour, and the fourth kitty came out quickly, but the mama really had to work on him to get him to respond. Respond he finally did.

I kept the first born, and the third - named her Backward Annie - she lived 19 years.

Hope your experience goes well!

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I am guessing it isn't long now. She is definitely my baby, has been cuddly, seeking love etc. So sweet. BUT, today and last night if I tried to touch her belly she would nip at me. Nothing that causes a break in skin, just lets me know that that is no longer a place I can pet. She is very wild-eyed today and seems on edge. I don't know if that is because my 2 younger kids (girls, ages 7 & 8) came back from being at Grandma's for two weeks so the chaos has returned or if it is indicative of impending labor. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by somanykitties

Well, I am guessing it isn't long now. She is definitely my baby, has been cuddly, seeking love etc. So sweet. BUT, today and last night if I tried to touch her belly she would nip at me. Nothing that causes a break in skin, just lets me know that that is no longer a place I can pet. She is very wild-eyed today and seems on edge. I don't know if that is because my 2 younger kids (girls, ages 7 & 8) came back from being at Grandma's for two weeks so the chaos has returned or if it is indicative of impending labor. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I have absolutly no help to offer you except to say that I have been following this thread and am on the edge of my seat along with you waiting for these little ones to arrive!

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
please excuse the one graphic one...I think it needs to be shown...

horychun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's a small cat, she makes my angel kinda look like a giant... maybe its just her hair.

I feel for you tho, and angel is doing the same thing to me with touching her belly for a few days, she will grab me with her front paws and go to bite, but she doesnt. what i get from her is that she wants me to pet/scratch her not feel her belly... lol

THE RACE IS ON!! LOL

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your Angel IS giant! I have 2 that are like that and 2 others that are average. Little One is just that.....LITTLE! She is such a sweety and if you look at her paws you can tell she is just so tiny. As I said, she is a found kitty, but from MY experience I would put her at about 9-11 months from watching my other kitties grow through the years (I have had them all since birth except my oldest who was a pet store cat, I know better now!). Seems to be the stage that she is at, still wants to play, but wants to be a big kitty too. Angel and Little one do look to be at about the same stage in their pregnancies though, don't they? to your Angel and to my Little One and many more to all the other poor preggo kitties out there. I hope we can all find good homes for them all.

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
still nothing......sigh...but boy is she grumpy about being touched right now! Head and ears ONLY!

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last two week's of her pregnancy, my Mao wouldn't let me touch her belly. Then the day before and the day of, she would let me. Also, the day of, she was very restless.

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I saw something, it was small, but I guess that wasn't it. sigh...another day, still no babies.