Fancy Feast Appetizers

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a sample and a coupon for this in the mail.

This is what the package says: White Meat Chicken Appetizer

Prepared without by-products or fillers
Crude Protein (Min)12.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 0.5%
Crude Fiber (Max) 0.5%
Moisture (Max) 85.0%

Water, Chicken. Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Nitrite

Do you think this would be ok as a 1-2 times a week treat? Here are the other varieties.
http://fancyfeast.com/appetizers/

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Crude Protein (Min)12.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 0.5%
Crude Fiber (Max) 0.5%
Moisture (Max) 85.0%

Do you think this would be ok as a 1-2 times a week treat? Here are the other varieties.
Looks fine for a treat only. This food is not nutritionally complete, and only recommended for supplemental feeding.... ( similiar to before grain's 100% meats ).

I'll be looking for it as soon as its available here. It looks to be the same texture that Kizzy likes to eat

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a super simple cat food. Five ingredients! It seems fine. I hope my grocery store carries it because it looks like my last hope for my kitties to eat wet food.

EDIT: Wow, what a scam. It has so few ingredients because it's not complete and balanced. I'll stick to unseasoned table scraps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats why I would only give it as a treat if they like it. It is not complete meal for them. I prefer to give a treat then to give "table scraps". For a while Ping use to raw meat as treats but he quit eating it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Wow, that's a super simple cat food. Five ingredients! It seems fine. I hope my grocery store carries it because it looks like my last hope for my kitties to eat wet food.

EDIT: Wow, what a scam. It has so few ingredients because it's not complete and balanced. I'll stick to unseasoned table scraps.
It's not a scam.... As said on the package itself, the food is meant for supplemental feeding only.... (nice healthy treat, or for those cats that only eat dry, they might eat this once in a while). It is also quite helpful for trying to rule out allergies.

This isn't the first canned supplemental feeding only food. Before Grain's canned foods are supplemental as well.

Thats why I would only give it as a treat if they like it. It is not complete meal for them. I prefer to give a treat then to give "table scraps". For a while Ping use to raw meat as treats but he quit eating it.
me too...since most of my meats have some added seasoning.... however I do cook extra chicken (no seasonings) for Kizzy, who loves cooked chicken as treats.

Check out Before Grain, it is along the same lines except there is 2 ingreds...water and meat.

http://www.beforegrain.com/

100% Chicken
NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS FLAVORS OR PRESERVATIVES
NO FILLERS NO GRAIN
We didn’t waste one ounce of space inside the can with fillers, grain, preservatives or even added vitamins. Before Grain cans are incredibly edible as a main course, or mixed in with your cat’s Before Grain dry food to create the ultimate culinary symphony of flavor & nutrition! Before Grain 100% Meat cans are a great way to add fresh, premium protein to your cat’s diet and will help your pet return to the way food was supposed to be before grain got involved. Before Grain cans are intended for supplemental feeding only and are not intended for use as a complete and balanced diet.

OUR INGREDIENTS
Chicken, Water for Processing

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

It's not a scam.... As said on the package itself, the food is meant for supplemental feeding only.... (nice healthy treat, or for those cats that only eat dry, they might eat this once in a while). It is also quite helpful for trying to rule out allergies.

This isn't the first canned supplemental feeding only food. Before Grain's canned foods are supplemental as well.

me too...since most of my meats have some added seasoning.... however I do cook extra chicken (no seasonings) for Kizzy, who loves cooked chicken as treats.

Check out Before Grain, it is along the same lines except there is 2 ingreds...water and meat.

http://www.beforegrain.com/
Yeah, "scam" is probably not the best word. But it does seem like a waste of money when you could use human-grade meat leftovers instead of paying for it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Yeah, "scam" is probably not the best word. But it does seem like a waste of money when you could use human-grade meat leftovers instead of paying for it.
We live in a society of convienence.... These foods (before grain is a good seller) are convenient. Since alot of people cook with spices, its best not to feed those to the kitties.

All about being convenient.... heck, why buy a bag of potato chips, when you can make your own?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

We live in a society of convienence.... These foods (before grain is a good seller) are convenient. Since alot of people cook with spices, its best not to feed those to the kitties.

All about being convenient.... heck, why buy a bag of potato chips, when you can make your own?
LOL. It's more convenient for my family since we generally have our meat plain with sauce and stuff on the side. Since I'm a semi-vegetarian,I just give part of my portion for my cats. But it doesn't work for everyone, I guess.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO they are great. Nabu has been doing poorly, and is in fact scheduled tuesday for a toe amputation (possible cancer) and exploratory surgery to check for intestinal lymphoma. If it weren't for these new appetizers, we wouldn't have been able to get him eating again. They really seemed to "kick start" his appetite. So I think they are great. He's been eating 2 cans of FF a day, and 1 appetizer and finally putting some weight back on. He went from almost 10 lbs to barely 8 lbs in a matter of months. Thanks to these helping his appetite, we have him close to 8.5 lbs now.

I wouldn't be so quick to say they are a "scam" or a "waste of money." Nabu doesn't eat people food (except maybe KFC), so cooking for him really wouldn't do much good. And no, he wouldn't touch anything besides Purina canned if it was the last bit of cat food on earth.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Sheba also wasn't a 'complete' food until recently. I agree that as a treat some of these foods are great, and anything that can kick-start a sick kitty's appetite is fine by me - my girl was taking Clavamox and wasn't keen on eating - so there I was with the plain chicken baby food. Sure, she couldn't eat it for any length of time, as it's missing key feline nutrients, but I was thrilled it worked for a couple of days to get her to start nibbling on things.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those sound very interesting, i just hope they bring them to this country. Our wet food is only a supplement anyways, the cats main diet is their kibble so it not being complete is a non issue for us.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Crude Protein (Min)12.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 0.5%
Crude Fiber (Max) 0.5%
Moisture (Max) 85.0%

OMG! I just got a sample of that too in the mail. How funky is that?! I guess it's not coincidence, as we're both obviously on their mailing list thingy. I think I'll try that tomorrow night. Tonight is seafood & shrimp patÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] for da kitties. Honestly, the FF stuff looks good enough in that little dish for a person to eat it (I won't but it sure looks yummy!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Crude Protein (Min)12.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 0.5%
Crude Fiber (Max) 0.5%
Moisture (Max) 85.0%

yes it is fine 1-2 times a week

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a sample of this today, much to my surprise. I guess I'm on their mailing list because I asked for a sample of something else a while back.

Both of my cats loved it. I agree that it would be a convenient, healthy treat. I'll probably use the coupon but not buy them at the regular price.

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave this to my fussbudget, and she inhaled it so fast, I think she would've been happy if we would have permanently infused it into her veins. It's just chicken, for heaven's sake! Why did she react like it was crack?

We have been trying to stick to healthy treats for them, which usually means some bits of plain chicken breast either poached or grilled (depending how the humans' dish was prepared). They like that, but I picked up a few of the appetizers just to see what they were about, and I was surprised how excited our fussy kitty got over the chicken appetizer. I wish I knew what seasoning they use. The ingredients list doesn't mention any seasonings at all.

Also, I am wondering why this isn't a complete food for them. Been wondering about Before Grains, too. Both types state that they are supplemental, but I don't really understand why. Isn't plain meat exactly what cats are supposed to eat?

I recently switched them to wet (canned), and want to mix that up with regular meats once in a while. They refused raw, but they will eat lightly poached and shredded poultry, and some of their Wellness flavors include liver. Would feeding them half-homemade plain meat and half-canned food be nutritionally incomplete?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine in the mail yesterday too. I split the little boat onto three plates. Lola and Maggie sniffed it and walked away. Cleo inhaled hers so fast that the Corelle plate actually moved!!!

I don't know what it is with Fancy Feast. They sure know how to make the kitty crack, don't they?

I'll probably use the coupon, but I doubt that I'll be adding this to the kitty pantry. The only one who seems to like it is Cleo, and she needs to lose weight as it is, lol!

Originally Posted by kitkaturday

Also, I am wondering why this isn't a complete food for them. Been wondering about Before Grains, too. Both types state that they are supplemental, but I don't really understand why. Isn't plain meat exactly what cats are supposed to eat?
I believe that the reason is because it doesn't have any Taurine (an essential amino acid necessary for cats) in it. A diet deficient in Taurine can lead to blindness and cardiomyopathy in cats.

Here's a great link that explains why cats need Taurine in their diet.
http://www.petngarden.com/cats/cats4.php

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Pookie-poo!

Thanks for answering!
I believe that the reason is because it doesn't have any Taurine (an essential amino acid necessary for cats) in it. A diet deficient in Taurine can lead to blindness and cardiomyopathy in cats.

Here's a great link that explains why cats need Taurine in their diet.
http://www.petngarden.com/cats/cats4.php
The thing is, taurine is found in meat. In fact, IIRC, it's the reason we're encouraged not to overdo it with feeding fish - because there's no taurine in fish, and cats need taurine. But mammals produce taurine, and mammals, of course, are the meat that cats eat, even in the wild.

I'm really a bit confused by this, because I don't understand why Evo's almost-all-meat product is considered nutritionally-complete, but Before Grains calls itself a supplementary food even though its sole ingredient is actually exactly the kind of food that's most natural for cats (if you stick to the beef, turkey, quail, and chicken). Do they do something in processing that removes nutrients?

I'm somehow less surprised about Fancy Feast not being a complete food because I associate them with outrageously expensive kitty junk food anyway, although the same question really does apply considering they say this particular food has no by-products. But I'm very curious - and confused - why the Before Grains cautions that it should only be used as a supplement. And it also makes me concerned that my roadmap of feeding them canned alternated with regular meat (the same meat we eat), plainly prepared and shredded, might not be good for them.

I tried starting them on raw but they wanted nothing to do with it. They were willing to compromise on just-barely-cooked meat, usually chicken or turkey breast, which I make before I cook ours, just a quick sautee without seasonings, with a little homemade broth. It seemed like a no-brainer that pure meat alternated with quality canned foods (Wellness, Merrick, Weruva) would be a healthy diet for them. But now I don't know if this is even the right thing to do.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must have something to do with the processing. I tried to search "Taurine & Cats", and came up with this link (not sure how accurate the information is, but it is interesting.) http://www.vetlord.org/taurine-is-essential-for-cats/

It appears that raw meats are quite a bit higher in Taurine content, than cooked meats. I also found it interesting that there is some Taurine in fish. I don't feed my cats much fish at all, because it has a very high Phosphorus content. Limiting Phosphorus intake is imperative when dealing with renal failure (two of my girls are CRF.)

When I was looking at different foods for Cleo's CRF, I found the Wysong all meat varieties (Au Jus.) It also states on the label that it is not a complete food, and if fed exclusively, you must add Wysong's Call Of The Wild supplement to it. When I e-mailed the Wysong company, they sent me a spread sheet of the DMA nutrient list for all their foods. I remember that the COTW supplement had a high Taurine content. Cleo didn't care for the Wysong foods, so I didn't keep the info.

Sharky is very knowledgeable about cat foods, pet food processing and ingredients, and the AAFCO recommendations for pet foods. I hope she comes back and comments!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitkaturday

But I'm very curious - and confused - why the Before Grains cautions that it should only be used as a supplement. And it also makes me concerned that my roadmap of feeding them canned alternated with regular meat (the same meat we eat), plainly prepared and shredded, might not be good for them.

I tried starting them on raw but they wanted nothing to do with it. They were willing to compromise on just-barely-cooked meat, usually chicken or turkey breast, which I make before I cook ours, just a quick sautee without seasonings, with a little homemade broth. It seemed like a no-brainer that pure meat alternated with quality canned foods (Wellness, Merrick, Weruva) would be a healthy diet for them. But now I don't know if this is even the right thing to do.
I'm no expert by any means, but..... what you are doing is fine, as it's supplemental, but if you feed more pure meat than other food, vitamins and such need to be added.

I know that bone is essential, and perhaps it is not in the canned 100% meat foods (I don't know)....

Raw feeders can't feed just meat....there needs to be organs,bones, etc. in order for it to be considered complete and balance. I don't think these canned meats have all the required elements in them.

From the Evo site
AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of minerals in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with minerals
Before Grain doesn't have added minerals or vitamins, which is why I think, its classed as supplemental.