Russian Blue eye colors?

litheria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I take in animals that people no longer want and I ended up with a Russian Blue or so the lady told me. When trying to find her a home, someone told me that she wasn't a RB because her (the cat) eyes weren't a vivid green. Now she has yellow colored eyes with a vivid green around the pupils. I'm not sure how old she is, but I know she has had at least one litter of kittens. She doesn't look to be much older then a year maybe a year and a half. So I'm not sure if her eyes are still changing, if RBs have yellow eyes or what. If someone could help me out here I would appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

litheria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does have mauve pads and the proper coat color (with the silver tipping) but the only part of her eye that is green is in the middle. She may be a mix then.

litheria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is her the night I got her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Litheria

This is her the night I got her.
When I read first, I though she may be a pet quality - pet quality because of the bad eye-colour.

Seen this picture it is clear she is not purebred, thus not even pet quality.

Tail is rather black and fluffy. The angle at the nose shall not be pronounced - shall be almost straigh. Russians are slender, rather long body and rather long legs, nicely muscled and elegant, especielly when young adults.
(although some do have "excellent appetite"!)

thus this is a mix rather then pet quality purebreed.

A nice young cat nonetheless!

Tx for helping her and the others you did already helped!

litheria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat is beautiful Mews!!

Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it. Now I can list her as she properly should be.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Tail is rather black and fluffy. The angle at the nose shall not be pronounced - shall be almost straigh. Russians are slender, rather long body and rather long legs, nicely muscled and elegant, especielly when young adults.
(although some do have "excellent appetite"!)
I agree, not a Russian. Still a very pretty DSH though

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep as others have said definitely not RB. Others have pointed out the differences in facial shape so I won't go into that.

Cats that are genetically solid blue from both parents (such as a Russian Blue) do not ever have a tail that is that much darker than the rest of the body. In that photo there is a much higher density of colour on the lower back and tail than elsewhere on the body and such strong evidence of rings on the tail - a telltale sign of ghost tabby markings - this would not happen so vividly (if at all) in a Russian Blue, in all likelyhood one of this cat's parents or grandparents was a black/brown tabby or blue tabby moggy with strong markings.

Blue cats can occur in many breeds (I have a Blue Oriental Shorthair) and the colour also occurs regularly in domestics/moggys. Many people think if their cat is blue it must be a Russian Blue - this is not the case at all.

The cat is absolutely gorgeous, but it's not likely to be even part russian blue. IMO it's a blue domestic shorthair. A very nice one tho

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 8 months old, RB's should have solid green eye color. Many people think that if the cat is all blue and has green or greenish eye color its a RB. Not so. Russian Blues are not that common of cats - and it would be unlikely for it to be a real RB.

All my adult RB's had GREEN eye color. The kittens sometimes have some gold in it when young, but as adults it should be nothing other then green.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

All my adult RB's had GREEN eye color. The kittens sometimes have some gold in it when young, but as adults it should be nothing other then green.
Yes.
Althugh there is one "exception" one should be aware of. On pictures the color is often more or less yellow. Why, I dont know for sure, but this is quite common.

I remember a striking example:

Proud pictures showing a champion RB directly from a big show - with yellow eyes...

As it WAS a champion with successes at recognized shows, in reality it MUST have been excellent green eyes at the very least...

A pet quality may perhaps have a bad green eye colour - being pet quality because of this. But no RB will be a champ or even judged as Excellent without good green eyes...

They are also slender and elegant.
Although I have seen example of a rather fat russian blue female - a renowned judge wrote: "excellent appetite" and gave her the certificate after all

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We were discussing if this nice moggie could possibly be a mix up with Russian Blue.

Chartreux is very unusual in Sweden, thus I wasnt thinking along these lines.
But now I think - IF a mix up, she would more probably be a mix up off Chartreux...

Of course, I suspect Chartreux isnt very common where the threadstarter lives, either...