Meow trivia!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B. Humans

The question wouldn't be interesting if it were another animal.

For fun. I'll give all of the points in my bank to the first person who can actually name what part of the brain that is without having to look it up.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

B. Humans

The question wouldn't be interesting if it were another animal.

For fun. I'll give all of the points in my bank to the first person who can actually name what part of the brain that is without having to look it up.
Ooo, ooo, me me, I know! The cerebrum!
If wrong I hang my brain in shame.
ETA: If right, I don't want all your points, just basking in the glory is enough for me! LOL

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Ooo, ooo, me me, I know! The cerebrum!
If wrong I hang my brain in shame.
ETA: If right, I don't want all your points, just basking in the glory is enough for me! LOL
Nope! The cerebrum (which is actually divided into other parts) has more to do with learning, language, memory, movement, and senses.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope! The cerebrum (which is actually divided into other parts) has more to do with learning, language, memory, movement, and senses.
Well so much for the glory.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My next guess would be the hippo...hipo.. uh, hippocapamathingamajig, yea that thing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

The cerebellum?...
Nope! Again, that part of the brain has more to do with movement/motor skills and senses.

The part mostly responsible for emotions has an odd name - I have problems pronouncing it, hence the reason I remember it so well.

Trillcat - did you mean hippocampus? That's more to do with memory. If this part gets seriously damaged you can end up with amnesia.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope! Again, that part of the brain has more to do with movement/motor skills and senses.

The part mostly responsible for emotions has an odd name - I have problems pronouncing it, hence the reason I remember it so well.
Medula oblongata? (I am sure I did not spell that right)
Whoops, that was not in responce to me! Im running out of brain parts I know here though!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Medula oblongata? (I am sure I did not spell that right)
Whoops, that was not in responce to me! Im running out of brain parts I know here though!
Medulla oblongata takes care of autonomic functions - ie, breathing, heart, blood pressure, and so on.

It's a fun name to say!

Umm, a hint. The part of the brain that that handles emotions starts with a vowel. (not much help, huh?)

ETA: Hypothalamus is largely responsible for the autonomic nervous system. It controls a lot of those automatic functions and things like body temperature and responds to things like stress and day length to help your body function.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is! I remember something learning the brain, oh gosh, it's a girls name? Amy something?? I so want to google right now you have no idea!!!!!
I am trying to remember the sort of pnemonic, Amy good day to ya. Think brain think.
I got it!

Amygdala!!! (again does spelling count here?)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Got it!
Of course it's not so cut and dry that it's completely responsible for emotions - nothing in the brain is that simple.
Which is one reason why even though it's similar in cats and humans we don't have emotions exactly alike each other.

Not so surprisingly, it's a part of the brain that also gets damaged when something gets rabies. (other thread made me curious)

Are you sure you don't want points? How about a gift?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

^Got it!
Of course it's not so cut and dry that it's completely responsible for emotions - nothing in the brain is that simple.
Which is one reason why even though it's similar in cats and humans we don't have emotions exactly alike each other.

Not so surprisingly, it's a part of the brain that also gets damaged when something gets rabies. (other thread made me curious)

Are you sure you don't want points? How about a gift?
You know, I will take the points, and spread them around. I see so many new people here confused, scared, and here because something bad has happened. A gift may pick them up a bit, and donations of points to let them buy stuff for others. lay them one me! (eek I am going to be rich!)