TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › One down, three to go!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One down, three to go!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have 2 piercings in each ear lobe but I haven't worn earrings in probably 6 or 7 years so they have nearly closed up.

I've been thinking of repiercing and finally got around to picking up some ear piercing studs today.

I used Xyocaine Jelly to numb the ear lobe and used a stick pin broach dipped in rubbing alcohol to do the repiercing. It has a pointy tip, but not as pointy as a needle.

I just finished doing one hole in my right ear lobe. Next I'll do one in the left. I'll do the other 2 another day.

I put some Polysporin on the post before putting in the earring.
post #2 of 7
Wow! It's best if your posts are surgical steel, and if you use something else to do the piercing with, it also should be surgical steal. Also use Ice if not to numb before, definitely after to reduce swelling and irritation.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Wow! It's best if your posts are surgical steel, and if you use something else to do the piercing with, it also should be surgical steal. Also use Ice if not to numb before, definitely after to reduce swelling and irritation.
Thanks for the advice.

I have had to repierce my ears from time to time over the years because I tend to not wear earrings and they end up filling in. The studs I bought are surgical steel (they are actual ear piercing studs. Sterile too), but I'll still end up with infection from them because I have sensitivity to metal of most kinds. Plastic posts even irritate my ear piercings, which is why I tend to not wear earrings. But I have this cute funky hair style that leaves my ear lobes exposed, so I decided that I want to wear some earrings.

I don't like applying ice to my skin to freeze it. Leaving ice on to numb the area actually can cause frost bite. I'd rather use a numbing jelly like I'm doing. It hurts much less!!

I am going to put in the studs first until they heal a bit. Then I will put the small Biocare Sleeper hoops that I bought into the first hole and have the studs in the second hole. Hopefully with Polysporin and vigilant care I'll be able to wear earrings this time and not have them close over again.

EDIT: 2 down and 2 to go! The left ear didn't seem to be as closed over as the right one. Tomorrow I'll work on the second holes.

EDIT EDIT: 3 down and 1 to go. Not sure if I'm going to do that last one tonight or not. For some reason the right ear is more closed over than the left. The pin went right through the left with barely and effort.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ok! All done!!!
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post

I used Xyocaine Jelly to numb the ear lobe
I've heard of that stuff, does it really work?

I know my tattoo artist recommends against the use of it, because some of it can be inserted into your body via the tattooing over it.

But I'm wondering about it for other things... in your case, did it actually numb all the way through or just the surface?

oh and congrats on getting all of em done.... Mine seem to go for years without needing a needle, I just push the piercing studs through them.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
I've heard of that stuff, does it really work?

I know my tattoo artist recommends against the use of it, because some of it can be inserted into your body via the tattooing over it.

But I'm wondering about it for other things... in your case, did it actually numb all the way through or just the surface?

oh and congrats on getting all of em done.... Mine seem to go for years without needing a needle, I just push the piercing studs through them.
Yes, it really does work well. Oragel works great too. I use either one to numb my toe when I have an ingrown toe nail.

I also dipped the stick pin end into the gel prior to inserting it into the hole, so it was numb on the inside as I was working the tip through.

The reason the holes close up on mine is because I have sensitive skin and tend to get infections (goopy, runny, itchy, painful ear lobes) from wearing pierced earrings. So I take them out and don't put anymore in. So because the inside of the hole is raw, they grow closed.

I'm hoping that with the advancement in pierced earrings now for sensitive ears, and with the help of Polysporin that I can now keep earrings in.
post #6 of 7
Congrats, Natalie!

Do we get to see a pic of the new 'do and earrings?

Laurie
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post
Congrats, Natalie!

Do we get to see a pic of the new 'do and earrings?

Laurie
I'll take a picture, but won't post it in the regular lounge. I'll wait until I get my PL membership again and post it in there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › One down, three to go!