TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Frozen yogurt or ice cream?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frozen yogurt or ice cream?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Sooo im eating apple and pomegranet flavored frozen yogurt, im addicted! I can eat a huge bowl full and not feel sick but ice cream i can only eat a little before my tummy aches! So what about you, do you prefer frozen yogurt or ice cream?
post #2 of 16
OMG that flavor sounds sooo good!! I prefer frozen yogurt but the grocery store flavors seem to be so plain (vanilla, honey vanilla etc) so I usually end up with ice cream
post #3 of 16
Hmmm...now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever had frozen yogurt before. Ice cream is the summer treat of choice around here and I've never been all that into yogurt. I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a try at some point, though.

That being said, I do love my ice cream. I hate most kinds of nuts though so I try to avoid anything that comes with them. Anything with chocolate or my absolute personal favorite, caramel, is fair game. Anything else is liable to end up with chocolate or hot caramel on it.

My mom did buy a new kind of ice cream for us to try that I really liked though. It was one of the multi-flavored types and one of the flavors was banana. It was sooo good. If there's banana flavored frozen yogurt I'd so go for that.
post #4 of 16
Actually I like both but find the frozen yogurt sits better on my stomach.

Sometimes depending on the flavor and sugar content Ice-Cream gives me heartburn.

My favorite flavor of frozen yogurt is Passion Fruit/ Mango...it's so good.

F.Y.I my favorite ice cream is hands down Mint Chocolate Chip.
post #5 of 16
I can also tolerate frozen yogurt better than ice cream (though I still eat ice cream, Ben and Jerry are gods, lol)
I may be completly wrong, but I think frozen yogurt is easier on the tummy because it has less air whipped into it?
post #6 of 16
Lactose intolerance. Most people are to some degree simply due to the fact that it's really not natural to drink milk after weaning.

That said the reason yogurt and frozen yogurt is easier for some people to eat is because bacteria and enzymes in it can help some people break down lactose a bit better.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant (depends on what else is going on with my GI at the time) and can tolerate frozen yogurt better. It still bothers me sometimes but not to the degree that ice cream usually does.

Those that have issues with ice cream may want to try taking some lactase pills shortly before eating and see if it helps at all.
post #7 of 16
I love both but they don't love me. I'm lactose intolerant so I have to have soy ice cream. But don't feel bad for me. The So Good brand chocolate tastes like Haagan Daz!
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Lactose intolerance. Most people are to some degree simply due to the fact that it's really not natural to drink milk after weaning.

That said the reason yogurt and frozen yogurt is easier for some people to eat is because bacteria and enzymes in it can help some people break down lactose a bit better.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant (depends on what else is going on with my GI at the time) and can tolerate frozen yogurt better. It still bothers me sometimes but not to the degree that ice cream usually does.

Those that have issues with ice cream may want to try taking some lactase pills shortly before eating and see if it helps at all.
Thanks for all that info! I never knew that it isnt really natural for us to drink milk! Very interesting i will have to look into those pills!
post #9 of 16
I like both. It depends on the ice cream, some ice creams are so thick that after eating a little i feel like I can't go on, but with frozen yogurt I eat a lot of. Lol Im not lactose intolerant, i dont' remember ever having stomach issues after eatin diary. I think lactose intolerance depends on your heritage too, I'm eastern european. I guess our gene pool is a little more adapted cuz I know most people there have never even heard of such a thing as lactose intolerance, and at other places it's like most people are lactose intolerant.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07 View Post
Thanks for all that info! I never knew that it isnt really natural for us to drink milk! Very interesting i will have to look into those pills!
Lol yea funny no one notices how no other species besides humans drink milk after they're babies And we have so many doctors advocating we all drink milk, so dumb... You can get the same nutrients from other sources.
post #11 of 16
Lactose intollerant here, so it's frozen yoghurt in my freezer. I don't eat it often though, I'm not that fond of really cold foods.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I guess our gene pool is a little more adapted cuz I know most people there have never even heard of such a thing as lactose intolerance, and at other places it's like most people are lactose intolerant.
Just like how most people don't even know about lactose intolerance, maybe they simply don't know or have not shared it with you? The average person doesn't like to make small talk about having diarrhea, cramping, and gas.

Only around 30% of the world population is naturally adapted to produces lactase lifelong, mainly those from Northern Europe, and to a lesser degree some parts of Africa and the Middle East. Eastern Europe is more of those who lack that mutated gene, but who knows - maybe you have some ancestors from elsewhere, too?

Milk actually isn't the best source for calcium. Dark leafy greens are, though.


JuneBugBear - Walmart makes a generic brand that's around $9 a bottle if you want to try them. They worked for me for a while but eventually I just found it easier to be careful with dairy. Land'O'Lakes make a decent tasting lactose free milk for those who can find it in the US (maybe in Canada, too.)
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post

Only around 30% of the world population is naturally adapted to produces lactase lifelong, mainly those from Northern Europe, and to a lesser degree some parts of Africa and the Middle East. Eastern Europe is more of those who lack that mutated gene, but who knows - maybe you have some ancestors from elsewhere, too?
Hmm I am sure it's possible that I have northern european discent, but even in Eastern Europe where the population is so homogenous ethnically and racially (well by that I mean 99.9% percent caucasian) I am sure it is less prevalent and symptoms are so mild that we don't even think of it, compared to the US where we have a good portion of asians and african americans who are 70-100% lactose intolerant and you hear so many times when you offer someone milk "no thanks i'm lactose intolerant" lol
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Hmm I am sure it's possible that I have northern european discent, but even in Eastern Europe where the population is so homogenous ethnically and racially (well by that I mean 99.9% percent caucasian) I am sure it is less prevalent and symptoms are so mild that we don't even think of it, compared to the US where we have a good portion of asians and african americans who are 70-100% lactose intolerant and you hear so many times when you offer someone milk "no thanks i'm lactose intolerant" lol
Could be - though I'm mostly of Northern European descent and if I really think about it I can recall various family members eating little if any dairy. No one mentioned being bothered by it until I asked. My dad gets heartburn/cramping, my grandmother did, too. I think my mother mumbled something about gas but didn't want to discuss it.

A good break down of my symptoms:
Can't drink a glass of regular milk.
Can have foods with lactose in them, but it's like russian roulette, amount and if I've had anything else to eat before affects the degree I will be bothered.
Can have milk and cookies - can't drink the milk.
Can have cereal with milk - can't drink the milk and I can't eat it for breakfast or I'll vomit.
Small amounts of ice cream after a meal are fine.
Small amounts of cheese is fine. Aged cheeses do nothing.

Lots of people could ignore those type of symptoms or mostly avoid them by eating other things when consuming dairy. One way to "test" yourself is to avoid dairy for several days then drink a quart of milk on an empty stomach.
post #15 of 16
I'm lactose intolerant, so normally I just to Bryer's Natural Vanilla ice cream (Lactose Free) -it's really yummy!!

If It comes down to choosing over normal ice cream vs. frozen yogurt, I always go with frozen yogurt because even though it's dairy- the enzymes in the yogurt help with the lactose intolerance issue...so I can usually have a little bit without getting sick. TCBY is my favorite for frozen yogurt!!!

If I just HAVE to have normal ice cream though, it must be Baskin Robbin's pink bubblegum...it's been my favorite since I was 3 I love it, but it doesn't love me so normally I just take a ton of Lactaid Ultra pills with it if I eat that. That's only an occassional treat though.
post #16 of 16
Both! I`m not fussy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Frozen yogurt or ice cream?