How do I get them off the kitty crack?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So for a few months now my cats have been eating FF because her royal highness princess picky pants refuses to eat anything else. Now I'm afraid they have been eating it for so long none of them will eat anything else. So my question is if I want to switch to a better quality food, how do I do it?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think all you can do is keep trying various types and mixing & offering them.

My adults won't eat better quality wet, they simply would eat no wet if i forced the issue so i leave things as they are.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves a few of the FF and that is primarily what she eats in canned.
But mine will eat Wellness chicken, Wellness core. Have you tried these?
Mine will eat the core almost as well as the FF.
Sometimes I open two cans one of her fav. FF and something else
and mix a little of the other in after 2-3 days both cans are gone since
she eats 3 oz. wet per day.
I dont worry about it too much I just want her to eat any canned
since I need to add lots of water since she dont drink out of water
dishes and she had UTI history. They are very picky I know.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish I could help you with more sugestions, but everyone has said what I would reccomend. Once they get hooked on the FF though, good luck! I had an old cat whose former owner fed her nothing but FF. Trying every trick I could think of to change her over, it was usless. I even tried the "WEll if she gets hungy enough she will eat!" method. Nope, she would have starved herself to death. After 2 days of a very unhappy (and loud) cat (with food out for her, just not FF) and an equally unhappy mommy I relented and gave her back her beloved FF.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've tried every high quality food I can find, as long as it comes in small cans, and there's almost nothing that is accepted at all -- and nothing that's accepted a second time. Every time I see something new I try it. Same ol' same ol'. They insist on their FF, four flavours only, even of that. And basically I console myself that [1] the dry they get is high quality, [2] they clean it up, [3] they drink lots of water. So I'm not really worried about the FF anymore, though I do still try for a higher quality whenever there's something around that they haven't yet had a chance to refuse.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a FF Queen too. She would go days with out eating, if I tried to change her. I found she would eat a can of Pro Plan every once in a while. But good luck with what you are doing. FF must be really tasty stuff, I know more people who say thats all they use, cuz thats all they will eat.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast, while not a "great" food, is not as bad as most people think. Almost all varieties have only one or two fillers in the whole ingredients list. As long as the foods have no wheat gluten and are not fish-based, your cat will probably not suffer. There's better, but there's a whole lot worse, too.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Fancy Feast, while not a "great" food, is not as bad as most people think. Almost all varieties have only one or two fillers in the whole ingredients list. As long as the foods have no wheat gluten and are not fish-based, your cat will probably not suffer. There's better, but there's a whole lot worse, too.
I wouldn't worry about it. FF is the only thing keeping one of my cats eating. He's finally gaining weight again, so I just go with it. He's also liking the new FF Appetizers, which are by-product and gluten free. I swear he can read labels, cause if it says FF he'll eat it.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitty drives me crazy.. She will only eat the FF Elegant Medleys (Shredded Fare types only, at that) as far as wet goes.. Those things are crazy expensive for not being good quality. She will eat other things on occasion, but won't eat as much of it and won't continue to eat it if I try to sneak it in on her more than once a week or so. I keep on trying anything new I come across, though. I wish she'd at least eat the regular FF cans. A few of those are even grain-free. I wouldn't feel so bad about those ones.

At least she happily gobbles up her Orijen dry now. With a high quality kibble, I feel like it balances out more.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kizzy will eat FF grilled..... I'd rather him eat a can of that, than no wet food.

I just wish I could get other flavours here.... on their site they have way more flavours than what I've seen in the stores I go to.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Kizzy will eat FF grilled..... I'd rather him eat a can of that, than no wet food.

I just wish I could get other flavours here.... on their site they have way more flavours than what I've seen in the stores I go to.
We definitely get the short end of the stick here, i wrote them in regards to the naturals dry and got a real lame response

i was really shocked we even got the FF elegant medleys somebody must have dropped the ball that day

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin will only eat FF grilled salmon and shrimp in gravy. I've tried others..and end up throwing them out.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Kitty drives me crazy.. She will only eat the FF Elegant Medleys (Shredded Fare types only, at that) as far as wet goes.. Those things are crazy expensive for not being good quality. She will eat other things on occasion, but won't eat as much of it and won't continue to eat it if I try to sneak it in on her more than once a week or so. I keep on trying anything new I come across, though. I wish she'd at least eat the regular FF cans. A few of those are even grain-free. I wouldn't feel so bad about those ones.
Cindy is hooked on those Elegant Medleys too, but she like the Florentine ones. There are days when she will refuse everything else until I give her her kitty crack fix. I don't like giving them to her, but it's better than having her not eat.