Will my kittens try to climb out?

majorette715

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently bought a 36" high exercise pen to keep my 2 kittens in while I am away at work during the day. It is a metal pen with vertical bars spaced about 1 inch apart and horizontal bars every 6 inches.

Do you think the kittens will try to climb this?? They are only 6 week old kittens and my concern with them climbing out is that once they get out they may not be able to get back in which will seclude them from their food, water, toys, and litterbox because those things will be inside the pen.

Any helpful experiences will be appreciated!!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a word - YES!

Can you find a way to enclose the top of the pen? Having worked in a shelter, your kittens will be out of that pen in a hot second. I'm sure they can get back in, but they may wander far away and not realize they need to get back to that pen to potty or eat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe not at this age but soon. You'll be surprised at how kittens can climb. My worry would be that they could climb up and over but not know how to get back to the litter pan, food, etc.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My aunt's four-week old foster kitten climbed out of her exercise pen, that's for sure! She climbed out ASAP. We eventually gave up. So, yeah, they probably will. Maybe a dog crate without a wire bottom? Be forewarned that if they spaces are not the right size, your kittens could even escape or choke.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! At the breeder's house my kitties and their siblings at that age "lived" in a gigantic cardboard box (about as high as the height you're describing) and were climbing out of it as soon as they could walk and jump.

What about something like this?
Click here to see product

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can they not just stay in a bedroom or bathroom? Then there's no risk of them getting out of the pen and away from food/litter.

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At 5 weeks my where climbing baby gates and stuff already.
I have four in a dog crate with orginize it cubes making a place for there litter box so they dont have to eat sleep in pooh in the same spot almost.

Its not a lot of room but they are only in there four hours a day. And they sleep in there there will soon only be one kitten in there in about a week they are seven weeks old. so another week in a half they go to new homes

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they'll learn to climb out before long, and when they're bigger, they will be able to jump out.

There are tops for exercise pens that you can buy, effectively making a big cage. Like this: http://www.dog.com/item/midwest-dog-kennel/

Or you can cover the pen by clothes-pinning a sheet or something to the top bars. I'm not sure whether they would be able to undo that, though.

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with covering the pen. I would recommend covering the pen with either a sheet or a light blanket, and then just run some heavy string or light rope around the pen at the very top so that the kittens can not get out.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PBSJ_1988

they are seven weeks old. so another week in a half they go to new homes
8 weeks is too young for them to be rehomed. You really should wait until at least 10 weeks, preferably 12.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

8 weeks is too young for them to be rehomed. You really should wait until at least 10 weeks, preferably 12.
Agreed, unless it's completely impossible to wait longer due to risking the health of the kittens (for kittens in shelters).

A little O/T but the title made me think of several anecdotal stories on here of young kittens climbing people.
I've had 7 week olds scale up my legs before, it's not pleasant! If they can climb a person, furniture, curtains, etc than a pen won't stop them for long. Kittens are so full of energy they may just have you climbing the walls.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use one of these pens for my kittens when they get about 5 weeks old. I bought some of the clear plastic at a fabric store and attached it to the inside. The kittens can't climb the plastic, but there is still air that can circulate and the mom can jump in and out.

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Agreed, unless it's completely impossible to wait longer due to risking the health of the kittens (for kittens in shelters).

A little O/T but the title made me think of several anecdotal stories on here of young kittens climbing people.
I've had 7 week olds scale up my legs before, it's not pleasant! If they can climb a person, furniture, curtains, etc than a pen won't stop them for long. Kittens are so full of energy they may just have you climbing the walls.
They are shelter fosters mom is not even around anymore. They have to leave at 2 pound they are already over but I have not told them yet I want to keep them together tell 8 at least