Missing kittens?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Almost every night now (usually about 3:00 a.m.), Daisy steals one of DH's socks from the floor and starts carrying it around, meowing loudly. She isn't a vocal cat, so it surprised me at first to hear her meow at all. We adopted Daisy when she was about a year old and had her spayed. I don't know much of her history except that she was a stray before ending up at the pound. Is it likely that she had kittens in the past and misses them? Would the vet be able to tell us whether or not she'd had kittens at some time? (And please don't think we have a giant pile of socks in our floor,
, DH keeps a pair out in case he gets up at night for anything...though lately he has to track them down from wherever she's taken them.)

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will be interested to see what others think about this also. Our sheltie dog was spayed and never had a litter. She did this exact same thing. She would carry his sock/socks around in her mouth. Sometimes she would collect a pile of socks and lay her head on them.
We always called them "her babies". It was only DH's socks that she carried.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen male and female cats, neutered at 12 weeks do this. It seems to be more a call of "look what I've killed" than mothering behaviour.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I've seen male and female cats, neutered at 12 weeks do this. It seems to be more a call of "look what I've killed" than mothering behaviour.
ha ha ha! Daisy killed your DHs socks.

Actually that makes a lot of sense...

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Squirrel went through a carrying phase when she was little. I had this one stuffed toy kitten that she would carry, and it was about half the size she was at the time...super cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Oh, dear! Here I've been feeling sorry for her and she's just been waking us up to brag about killing a sock!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my female cats Molly does this she's 5 years old, I've had her since she was born, never had kittens. What she does to me is she takes my Swiffer duster and carries it around the house meowing like her heart is breaking, she has the feathers in her mouth and the stick is dragging behind her then my other cats are following her to see what shes going to do with it. It's very funny to watch.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

Archie has been known to drag my husbands dirty socks to the litter box and try to bury them.
Sounds like time for odor-eaters...

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

Oh, dear! Here I've been feeling sorry for her and she's just been waking us up to brag about killing a sock!
Uh, Be glad it's just a sock she killed. A guy on the other forum woke up to find half a mouse in his face one morning!