How many people foster?

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just curious as to just how many people foster cats/kittens on here. The reason I'm asking is because I've fostered in the past, and with it being kitten season and all, the foster bug is biting me again

I've been hesitant because one of my cats, Pirate, is suspected to possibly have feline herpes. However no cat that has been in this house has ever gotten sick like him. Even months after former fosters were adopted and I got an update from the lady that runs the rescue, no one turned up sick. So I don't think he's contagious with whatever he has (it's so hard to diagnose, we've done every test possible on the boy). Does anyone else have a cat that is kinda like mine and still foster? I always make sure that any cat that comes in here is 100% UTD and healthy, so there's as little as possible risk to my cats.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I do... Bugsy has Herpes, and has had 2 severe URIs since I got him in February. Lucky, my resident cat got the beginning of an URI from Bugsy once, but got rid of it easily on her own in a day or so.
I foster Hope, and she hasn't gotten... It is said that 70-80% of cats have herpes, so you are not alone... If they were in a shelter or a rescue, chances are they have it already.
I keep mine on L-Lysine, and they are all healthy and happy - Bugsy hasn't had a problem in a while...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Yep, I do... Bugsy has Herpes, and has had 2 severe URIs since I got him in February. Lucky, my resident cat got the beginning of an URI from Bugsy once, but got rid of it easily on her own in a day or so.
I foster Hope, and she hasn't gotten... It is said that 70-80% of cats have herpes, so you are not alone... If they were in a shelter or a rescue, chances are they have it already.
I keep mine on L-Lysine, and they are all healthy and happy - Bugsy hasn't had a problem in a while...
Yay! I was thinking the exact same thing- most shelter/rescue cats have some degree of something, so it wouldn't be that big a risk to foster again. Pirate takes Viralys, which is the lysine in gel form (tastes like maple syrup, it's actually quite yummy
) But even on it, Pirate still has flare ups. He's actually kinda in the middle of a flare up right now.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a long term foster with possible calici, he does share water bowl and occasionally food (when he pinches it!!) with the other long term foster but she hasn't got anything, even though he is currently having a flare up of his gums and eyes. Short term fosters are kept separate at the moment though, but that is due to aggression from the female long term foster.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do although I've been taking a break from it for a while. I'm in the process of changing who I foster for as I had a lot of trouble with the charity I've been helping.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I foster, but I do not risk the health of my own cats. The fosters stay in a separate bedroom, and do not mix with my residents. Once I've had the fosters for a while, and have tested negative for all kitty diseases, then I let them go nose to nose with Stumpy and say hi, but that's the extent. Fosters don't ever get the run of the house.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all bless you for thinking of helping. This is the worst summer I have ever seen in 10 years of shelter rescuing. There are many cats and kittens in need of help.

I posted some below (there were 37 pix and the site made me cut it down to 17) and I also have a kit in the SOS section who needs fluids 3x weekly. All her expenses will be paid by her shelter. In So. Milwaukee you are close enough for sure. Plus the ones below, they would get them to you.

On the herpes rhino, it leaves the household within 18 hours after cessation of the virus. So long as you make sure to isolate the incoming kit(s) and your own kitty (with towel under the door) long enough for them to both settle in to where you can be sure neither will show signs of URI or other illness, you should be perfectly good to go.

Calicivirus is scarier b/c it is harder to eradicate remnants of that virus from what I have read.

In any case, a spray bottle of Oxyquat does wonders for sterilizing. It has no odor or scent at all and can be used on pillowcases, floors, uphostery, anywhere. Just leave it for 10 minutes and don't let traffic on it till it dries.

Good luck and again bless you for fostering.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Kittens and nursing Moms are VERY much in need of rescue in Terre Haute. All kitties are vaccinated, combo tested for FIV/FeLV, wormed, and flea treated.

Please help us save our babies and nursing moms!!! We are desperate!! These innocent little lives are in danger and we HAVE to get them out a.s.a.p. If you can help take one, two, or a litter, please contact us immediately. We can arrange the transport. We can alter any kittens/cats 2 lbs. and up (females $35 and males $25). Contact Niki at 812-877-4477 ([email protected]). Please take a look at our website for more available kittens/cats at www.thhs.org. Thank you!

Niki Laviolette Terre Haute Humane Society Cat Rescue Coordinator [email protected] 812-877-4477

Dexter & siblings Samantha & Jasmine (f) Michael & Julianna

Chastity (f) Cisco (m) Asher (m sibling to Cisco)

Dilly (m) Tilly (f) Willy (m)

Dottie & kids

Edison Edana Edlyn

Elita Ellery (m) Isaac

Kayden (m) Lincoln Friday (m)

Monday Thursday (m) Tuesday

Spitfire (m) Babalou (m) Summer (f)

Finesse & babies Hope & babies

Carry (m) Cheri (f) Ferry (m)

Cream Puff (f) Uno, Dos, Tres (male bengal mixes)

Helen, Hector, and Edward, Esmee, and siblings

Perfect (f)

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have two cats in my home and they keep me busy enough. I know that if I foster, I will want to keep the cat/kitten, and I just can't afford to do that, as much as I would love to. I would like to give a heart felt shout out to everyone who does foster cats, especially this time of year.
Thank you once again.

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish you were closer, I would foster for you, but I'm afraid Virginia is too far. I kinda foster, actually, I socialize feral kitten so they can be adopted out. Yours are so cute...

Mary

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I foster kittens for our rescue, plus others that people bring me. Last year I had a total of 14. and I now have five 6 week old kittens. But there can be problems and I keep fosters completely separate from my cats and wash carefully between visiting the two sides. Last year I had two fosters die of FIP, which was devastating, though the other fosters that shared their quarters didn't get it. It did make me realise the dangers and made me more careful.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add to this also - I shelter for a rescue place, where all cats are fully vetted and negative for serious diseases before going in. Of course there will be problems with parasites, but it's ok - I just treat them during the introduction. I would not foster FeLV/FIV + cats, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and have no space to keep them separate.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I should add to this also - I shelter for a rescue place, where all cats are fully vetted and negative for serious diseases before going in. Of course there will be problems with parasites, but it's ok - I just treat them during the introduction. I would not foster FeLV/FIV + cats, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and have no space to keep them separate.
That pretty much sounds like my situation. I make sure that they are really healthy, with nothing contagious going on before they come into my house. I live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment (it's a duplex, I'm on top) and with the way everything is set up, I really don't have an "extra room" to separate fosters long term. The only room that I can even separate anyone in is the bathroom (which gets really hard with it being the only one in my flat). I can't put anyone in the spare bedroom because that is where all the litterboxes are. And I don't have any room for them anywhere else in the house (there's 5
). I could possibly put one in the kitchen, but who wants a litterbox in their kitchen?! Certainly not me

I did have the first time I fostered a little problem with ear mites- the 3 kittens I fostered came in with them, but they were treated right when they arrived and I never had a problem with my cats getting da mites.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To be honest, if you don't have space I don't think you should do it. You really need to be able to separate the cats comfortably, so your cats don't get stressed and catch any illnesses, and so foster cats don't have to deal with the stress of being in a new place as well as dealing with resident cats who don't want them there.

Introductions take time, and to force that on the kitties puts everyone in a tough position.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like sarahp, I have a separate room - a heated sunporch. I do not allow them access. The only time I made the exception (thinking the fosters were well), all six of my cats got a cold. That vet bill was unreal!

I currently have three kittens with varying degrees of ringworm, so I am really glad I have that room. They were feral-born and no one realized they had it until they came to stay and I found a bald patch!

Even though my cats never "meet" my fosters, they know they are there. The door between the living room and the porch is glass and many times, I've caught one or more of my cats just watching the kittens play.

I am with a spay/neuter group and there are usually plenty of kittens to foster, especially this time of year. I do it independently, as the closest shelter near me is a kill-shelter and has been know to euthanize pets they had out for fostering. The next closest shelter, a no-kill, is nearly an hour away. I work with them to find homes for my fosters but I pay them the fee when the time comes. It gets expensive but it is worth knowing the little buggers have good homes!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I foster independently. I pay for TNR of the local toms and right now have a pregnant female stray, along with her last litter. I've managed to get 2 kittens adopted out to new homes, but still have 4 here, and the new ones are soon to be on their way! If you could foster, and the bug is biting again, I'd certainly have to say that there is no time like the present.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never fostered a cat for a shelter or organization, but if I find a stray cat or feral kittens I will keep them until I can find them homes.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fostered a cat once -- he's been living here for 5 years.

I also once fostered a puppy (I only had one cat at the time and was he pissed but God bless him, he adjusted quick.) I also homed a kitten for my rescue group for a week before he was going to his new home. My cats have all been adult rescues/adoptions, and I'd forgotten how hilarious kittens are. I think if everyone had a kitten sit on their head, no one would be depressed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep in mind there's always the chance that while fully vetted, tested, etc - they could still have something. I had a kitty for 2 weeks once, then wham - ringworm!
There were no other signs until one day. So you always run that risk.

I keep fosters seperated at first, depends on their needs where I keep them. I have 2 dog crates in my bedroom for starters, & can close the door. Keep in mind sometimes you can get them home to find out they don't like other cats - that sucked I had one like that for 9 months.

My Molly has herpes, I haven't had an issue with anyone who had a healthy immune system developing herpes, but I fostered 3 sickly kittens - two of which now have herpes probably thanks to Molly.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

I fostered a cat once -- he's been living here for 5 years.

I also once fostered a puppy (I only had one cat at the time and was he pissed but God bless him, he adjusted quick.) I also homed a kitten for my rescue group for a week before he was going to his new home. My cats have all been adult rescues/adoptions, and I'd forgotten how hilarious kittens are. I think if everyone had a kitten sit on their head, no one would be depressed.
That sounds like my Mia- she started out as an adult foster, and she's been her for over a year.

I'm confused now whether or not I should foster again. I really don't have the means to separate them for a long period of time, and the ringworm thing is really freaking me out. I've heard about the treatment for that, and I really wouldn't want my cats going through that. What to do, what to do.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I don't know if it counts but recently I kinda "fostered" a cat for my vet... Someone had caught this stray kitten outside the vet's office and brought him in. The vet got him all vetted and kept him at the clinic for the week, but it's closed on Sundays so she asked me if I could take him home for the weekend when I left on Friday. I agreed since he was all vaccinated/tested/everything already. He had a lot of fun at my house playing with my older kittens (and I had a lot of fun with him, I love young kittens!) and he already had someone who wanted to adopt him when I went back to work the next week.