TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › adopting an 11 yr old male tabby
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

adopting an 11 yr old male tabby

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I just couldn't resist. The family all talked it over and we just knew it was right.

http://redding.craigslist.org/pet/1238457958.html

We go get him tomorrow. We are so excited.

We are getting our largest bathroom done up as a temporary home while he settles in then the introductions will begin.
post #2 of 29
Congratulations he's adorable, how nice that he's FINALLY going to have a HOME Please keep us updated on him
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
yep, once he's adjusted he's going to be a spoiled indoor, sleep anywhere he wants to kitty. I'm hoping the introductions go well when it's time.
post #4 of 29
Stories like this one make my heart feel good. Thank you for adopting an older cat - so few do. He looks exactly like my Mickey.

I'm so glad he will have the run of the house - inside - and get to sleep wherever he wants. Spoil the big guy rotten!
post #5 of 29
Aw, he's stunning! What a handsome senior boy!

And applause for you for taking in an older cat.
post #6 of 29
He is an adorable tabby boy Congrats on adopting him!
post #7 of 29
Oh, i'm so glad to see this! We adopted a 14 year old cat 5 1/2 years ago and she's been amazing!
post #8 of 29
Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family! I honestly think that senior kitties are the best type of cat to adopt. He's such a cutie too! I adopted a 10 year old snowshoe siamese (unfortunately I had to euthanize her less than a year after rescuing her) and over a year ago I adopted a 12 year old tuxedo girl, and I must say that those were some of my best decisions of my life. You won't regret getting an older cat! He's going to have such a blessed life with you.

Props to you for adopting an older cat! We need more people like you!
post #9 of 29
What a handsome boy! Congratulations! I'm thrilled that he will have an indoor home and be spoiled rotten!
post #10 of 29
That is great you are getting a older cat.
I wish more people would give older cats a chance.
post #11 of 29
Congratulations on your new family member! It is so nice to hear he can finally come in and be part of a family instead of being shut out.

Oldies are fantastic! I got Sooty as a 15 year old this year and I know he appreciates having a nice home and I`m sure Sebastion will too.

Can`t wait for his first pics
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
I can't wait, I get off work at 6 tonight and we'll arrange pick up then...I'm counting the hours!! LOL
post #13 of 29
That's awesome. My cats are eleven, and even though they aren't kittens, I feel thankful for giving them the stable lives they might have never gotten. What a little handsome boy.
post #14 of 29
AWWWWWW, how wonderful!! And just think, really he's practically only middle-aged really, for a cat He is a good looking boy..I'm sure you'll have many wonderful happy years yet with him...and probably the greatest years for him!
post #15 of 29
How wonderful that you are opening your heart and home to this handsome senior kitty.
I can hardly wait for your updates.
post #16 of 29
I agree with Lei - it is absolutely wonderful that you are adopting a senior kitty!!
post #17 of 29
Good for you, and best of luck as he settles in. My cats were about four when I adopted them - people were passing them up for kittens.

I'm sure you will be rewarded many many times for opening your home to this boy.
post #18 of 29
This is so great!

It's wonderful you're adopting an older kitty. So many people just want kittens and completely ignore the senior babies, but the older guys make absolutely wonderful companions, too.
I'm so happy for him and for you. I hope this means we'll get lots of pictures.
post #19 of 29
Bless you for adopting this beautiful senior man.
post #20 of 29
Sebastian is a gorgeous guy, and it's great that he will be able to finally live indoors. Thank you for taking in this older guy. It's a good thing you're doing.

P.S Pics????
post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
We got him home about 8:00 last night, he's still a little spooked. We've got him secluded in our bedroom and master bath right now, last night it was just the bathroom because everyone else sleeps with us.

He's very defensive still. Apparently one other person adopted him and Sebastian wasn't given even 24 hours to adjust, he hissed at the man and the guy told the original owner to come and get him

He's hissing and growling at us a little, but it's all show. When I went in to use the facilities a little while ago the big softie came out and head butted me, asked for a little bit of petting played with the new mousie we bought him and then went back and hid in the kennel we gave him for a cave.

I think he'll come around in time. He's a little underweight because he was low man on the totem pole when it came to food with the other two he used to live with so we'll get him fattened up and healthy again.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get batteries for my camera...darn thing eats them like candy!!
post #22 of 29
Ah, poor guy - and how sad that he didn't even get 24 hours at the one place to settle in - but sounds like he knows things are looking up! Hope things went well today!
post #23 of 29
It warms my heart to know that you have the knowledge that will help your senior boy adjust to his forever home.

Congratulations
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeygirl View Post
We got him home about 8:00 last night, he's still a little spooked. We've got him secluded in our bedroom and master bath right now, last night it was just the bathroom because everyone else sleeps with us.

He's very defensive still. Apparently one other person adopted him and Sebastian wasn't given even 24 hours to adjust, he hissed at the man and the guy told the original owner to come and get him

He's hissing and growling at us a little, but it's all show. When I went in to use the facilities a little while ago the big softie came out and head butted me, asked for a little bit of petting played with the new mousie we bought him and then went back and hid in the kennel we gave him for a cave.

I think he'll come around in time. He's a little underweight because he was low man on the totem pole when it came to food with the other two he used to live with so we'll get him fattened up and healthy again.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get batteries for my camera...darn thing eats them like candy!!

YAY, I'm so glad he headbutted you, he knows this is the best thing for him Bless his heart
When we adopted Mario, he was 9, I flew to Virginia and brought him home on a plane, he was an only cat and came here to live with 5 others. Anyway he would slap me, HARD too and he would hiss, I was wondering if he would ever adjust, I thought he just wasn't happy, he's used to being number 1 you know. He finally came around and it's like he's always been here
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeygirl View Post
I'll get pics up as soon as I get batteries for my camera...darn thing eats them like candy!!
Get a couple sets of rechargeables - keep one set plugged in a charger and one set in the camera. Then switch back and forth. Works great for us - they last for more than a year.
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
We plan on getting some rechargeables, but I have to wait till my paychecks are good. I am one of the lucky ones that's going to get an IOU from the great state of California....yippee!!
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeygirl View Post
We plan on getting some rechargeables, but I have to wait till my paychecks are good. I am one of the lucky ones that's going to get an IOU from the great state of California....yippee!!
OMG you're kidding - you work and they dont pay you? That's terrible.

regarding the batteries...I have a camera that does that - i take the batteries out in between uses, which helps a lot.
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
OMG you're kidding - you work and they dont pay you? That's terrible.

regarding the batteries...I have a camera that does that - i take the batteries out in between uses, which helps a lot.
This no pay thing is new, because the California politicians can't seem to agree on a budget. I can opt not to work, but all that does is leave my elderly clients without help and it's not their fault.

Got batteries, but 'Bastian is being shy tonight, it's pretty hot and he's hiding in his cool crate and won't come out. I've got tomorrow off, I'll try again in the morning, he's the most friendly in the AM right now.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeygirl View Post
Got batteries, but 'Bastian is being shy tonight, it's pretty hot and he's hiding in his cool crate and won't come out. I've got tomorrow off, I'll try again in the morning, he's the most friendly in the AM right now.
Bastian is a really cool name.
With patience and time, your boy will learn to trust.
He is a very lucky kitty to be in your life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › adopting an 11 yr old male tabby