Bumper Crops This Year: Raspberries & Artichokes

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just counted 19 artichokes on our four plants, and there are millions of raspberries on the bushes!

Does anybody have good recipes for using or preserving either of these?

I found this site for step-by-step instructions for canning raspberries using honey and fruit juice, so daughter and I are going to try our hands at canning this summer.

http://www.pickyourown.org/jamnosugar.htm

And there's only so many steamed artichokes with butter that a person can eat... Anybody have favorite recipes for eating now or preserving for later? Thanks!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I think I could eat unlimited quantities of steamed artichokes with butter...yummmm...

For other artichoke recipes just go to www.allrecipes.com and at the top by the search box click on "ingredients" and put in artichokes. My favorite recipe is an artichoke and cheese dip. It calls for canned artichokes but you could probably figure out how to use fresh ones (I guess steam them first?)

I have a lot of raspberry plants in the yard, but they haven't ripened yet.

Artichoke cheese dip

2 14 oz cans artichoke hearts- drained and rinsed
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 TBLS garlic powder
8 oz. shredded mozerella
OPT: 2 cloves garlic, lemon juice

Cut artichokes (small pieces)
Mix all together
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be able to freeze the artichokes. They're good on pizza, and just about any other meal you can put veggies in. I like them as part of a roasted seasoned mix of veggies and with pasta meals.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artichokes are yummy!
Put nuts, fresh basil, steamed artichokes, and a little bit of olive oil and put in a food processor, then can (pesto!) or use right away where you would use pesto. The berries can be eaten frozen (yummy!), or granola with yogurt and frozen berries on top or blended into a smoothie (also when frozen so no ice has to be added)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artichokes have too long of a season to try to grow with success in Wisconsin. My raspberry patch looks pretty good this year-they should start ripening in about 2-3 weeks.
I freeze alot of mine (use a cookie sheet then bag when frozen).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I had no idea such things still existed! We used to go out on Saturday mornings in Ohio to pick our own bushel of corn, and it was wonderful... I'd love to do something like that again! Thank you for that link -- I found a couple of nearby farms where I could go pick blackberries, which I just love!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh my gosh, I had no idea such things still existed! We used to go out on Saturday mornings in Ohio to pick our own bushel of corn, and it was wonderful... I'd love to do something like that again! Thank you for that link -- I found a couple of nearby farms where I could go pick blackberries, which I just love!
You want blackberries?? Come to the Pacific Northwest! They are EVERYWHERE around Portland...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

...For other artichoke recipes just go to www.allrecipes.com and at the top by the search box click on "ingredients" and put in artichokes. My favorite recipe is an artichoke and cheese dip. It calls for canned artichokes but you could probably figure out how to use fresh ones (I guess steam them first?)

I have a lot of raspberry plants in the yard, but they haven't ripened yet.

Artichoke cheese dip

2 14 oz cans artichoke hearts- drained and rinsed
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 TBLS garlic powder
8 oz. shredded mozerella
OPT: 2 cloves garlic, lemon juice

Cut artichokes (small pieces)
Mix all together
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread
I had this kind of dip in the back of my mind, thanks for posting that! I kept thinking it was a spinach dip, but looking back now I know I had some amazing artichoke dip at a party once. I think it will taste better with fresh (cooked) artichoke than the pickled kind. (I didn't want to go to a recipe site since some of the recipes are not very good.)

Originally Posted by strange_wings

You should be able to freeze the artichokes. They're good on pizza, and just about any other meal you can put veggies in. I like them as part of a roasted seasoned mix of veggies and with pasta meals.
Just steam and freeze the hearts? I forgot about slicing them on pizza, thanks!

Originally Posted by cococat

Artichokes are yummy!
Put nuts, fresh basil, steamed artichokes, and a little bit of olive oil and put in a food processor, then can (pesto!) or use right away where you would use pesto. The berries can be eaten frozen (yummy!), or granola with yogurt and frozen berries on top or blended into a smoothie (also when frozen so no ice has to be added)
Artichoke pesto is a great idea, and canning it for later is also a great idea! Thanks, will look into that. We love smoothies, too, but it's always so darn chilly here. What's hot and the opposite of smooties... soup?

Originally Posted by GailC

Artichokes have too long of a season to try to grow with success in Wisconsin. My raspberry patch looks pretty good this year-they should start ripening in about 2-3 weeks.
I freeze alot of mine (use a cookie sheet then bag when frozen).
Great idea to keep the frozen raspberries separate, thanks!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

We have a spare room any time you want to come visit. I also make huge apple pies in the Fall, I can fit 15-20 apples into my giant pie plate. And I use a thin whole wheat crust and sweeten it with juice so that's lots of apples and very little guilt.

Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

You want blackberries?? Come to the Pacific Northwest! They are EVERYWHERE around Portland...
Here, too, they are everywhere on public land. The unwritten rule is that you pick the berries that are in the middle of the bushes. The top berries are left for the birds and the bottom berries are left for the little critters.