What are these bugs on my tomato plant?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any idea what they are and what to do about them?

This is my first tomato plant ever and I want it to grow!

They are in a hanging planter and not on the ground. What should I do?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a stretch since I can't see the head clearly - but maybe it could be an what's called an ash-gray leaf bug (a type of piesmatidae).
If so, it does feed on sap -though I'm not certain if it feeds on tomatoes? (I've never seen them on tomatoes. What flowers do you have?) A common spray or dust should work but you need to make sure it's safe to use on something you will be eating - some aren't that safe even though they're sold for vegetable use.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if this will help but my grandmother use to spray her tomato plants just the leaves with a solution of soapy water. She did that to get rid of aphids and it worked great. Not sure what your bug is but it might be worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its on my apartment patio, so I don't have any flowers or anything. Just a few weeds that won't go away

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MIght just be a visitor as there aren't too many insects that really damage tomato plants esp this early in the season. Just use a blast of water. I grow about 25 plants a year and never use any chemicals on my tomatoes!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite on accident (I was looking up a good picture of a tobacco hornworm to show DH, then got distracted looking at moths) I found a site that had a lot of nice pictures of true bugs. I think now that I'm certain that's a type of lace bug. My first guess actually wasn't that bad considering that was a type of true bug as well.

Do these look familiar? http://bugguide.net/node/view/17261

Again, feeds on sap. Since it's on your tomatoes that could make it an eggplant lace bug - as I'm sure you know, eggplants, tomatoes, and potatoes are all in the nightshade family (solanaceae) and thus that bugs' food. So yes, you may have to dust or spray after all.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Don't know if this will help but my grandmother use to spray her tomato plants just the leaves with a solution of soapy water. She did that to get rid of aphids and it worked great. Not sure what your bug is but it might be worth a try.
I've done that, and also sprayed with water that has hot pepper in it. Just be sure not to spray the fruits with that one unless you like your tomatoes spicy!

My problem this year is the mocking birds, as soon as the fruit starts getting ripe they take a nip out of each one, and by the time I get in from work the ants have moved in to the hole. I don't mind sharing, but they should share too! The darn things aren't afraid of anything, when the babies are in the nest they attack cats, humans and the poor squirrels that I guess the birds confuse with cats.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Quite on accident (I was looking up a good picture of a tobacco hornworm to show DH, then got distracted looking at moths) I found a site that had a lot of nice pictures of true bugs. I think now that I'm certain that's a type of lace bug. My first guess actually wasn't that bad considering that was a type of true bug as well.

Do these look familiar? http://bugguide.net/node/view/17261

Again, feeds on sap. Since it's on your tomatoes that could make it an eggplant lace bug - as I'm sure you know, eggplants, tomatoes, and potatoes are all in the nightshade family (solanaceae) and thus that bugs' food. So yes, you may have to dust or spray after all.
Looks like it to me! I don't have any tomatoes on the plant yet, so will try to get something this weekend to put on it.

Yuck, I HATE bugs!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with that.
These, as I've mentioned, are a type of true bug - assassin bugs, box elder bugs, stink bugs, leaf hoppers and many more fall into this order (hemiptera). It also includes the infamous squash bugs and anyone who's had to deal with those can tell you how troublesome they can be! So I hope these won't be as difficult for you to get rid of.

I don't hate insects, a lot of the true bugs are even beneficial because they're predatory and eat other insects (ie - the assassin bugs).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Good luck with that.
These, as I've mentioned, are a type of true bug - assassin bugs, box elder bugs, stink bugs, leaf hoppers and many more fall into this order (hemiptera). It also includes the infamous squash bugs and anyone who's had to deal with those can tell you how troublesome they can be! So I hope these won't be as difficult for you to get rid of.

I don't hate insects, a lot of the true bugs are even beneficial because they're predatory and eat other insects (ie - the assassin bugs).
I have no idea what a "true bug" is
I thought bugs were bugs, lol. I have no idea where they came from. I live in an apartment and its not like there is a lot of vegetation in the area. I hope they don't ruin my plant