Quitting smoking cold turkey

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
has anyone quit smoking cold turkey? I quit cold turkey today (found out yesterday we're pregnant) If anyone has do you have any tips, hints, tricks, ANYTHING!! I smoked 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 packs a dayfor the last 9 years and less for the 10 years before that, last week when i suspected being pregnant i cut down to a half a pack a day. Today is actually h-e-double hockey sticks for me. its been 16 hours since my last cig and man I can stand this feeling. I was hoping to hear from someone who went through this so i dont feel so alone. my hubby is quitting too but he never smoked as much as me and doesnt seem to be having a problem. unless he's sneaked some
! like i said i feel alone and like all the things i enjoy have been taken away. its a weird feeling.
thanks everyone hope to hear from you

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh sweetie it will be ok! I know it is REALLY hard to quit, but I did the same when I found out that I was pregnant. Every time I wanted a smoke I took the dog for a short walk. It got to a point where even she didn't want to go on any more walks
It is good that your hubby is quiting also! Mine didn't and I picked it right back up!

Just keep reminding your self that you are doing it to keep your baby healthy! Once you get a few weeks in to your pregnancy the smell of smoke will make you hurl any ways! I stole a drag from Eric when I was about 2 months along and spent the rest of the night hugging the toilet
That made me stop craving them rather quickly!!!!

Good luck to you!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I quit cold turkey on January 16th and my hubby a week later. The important thing is to change the habits that are associated with smoking, such as that cigarette with morning coffee. Take it one hour at a time. When you get a craving, go do something to take your mind off it and the craving will pass.

Good luck sweetie! It's worth it for you and the baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been changing my routine, my problem is it sneaks up outta nowhere like now while I'm at work. and all i can think about is what fun will vacation or hanging out be now that I cant smoke. If I think about it I realize how absurd it sounds but its how i feel! and then I'm afraid of gaining too much weight, I know i will gain between 25-35 pounds according to my DR. but I'm afraid of gaining alot more. Emy4cats did you gain alot more because of quitting in addition to being pregnant? I'm kinda praying for morning sickness so i wont want any cigs but i dont know I'm 5 weeks 5 days and someone told me i woulda had it by now. ohh well.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22

I have been changing my routine, my problem is it sneaks up outta nowhere like now while I'm at work. and all i can think about is what fun will vacation or hanging out be now that I cant smoke. If I think about it I realize how absurd it sounds but its how i feel! and then I'm afraid of gaining too much weight, I know i will gain between 25-35 pounds according to my DR. but I'm afraid of gaining alot more. Emy4cats did you gain alot more because of quitting in addition to being pregnant? I'm kinda praying for morning sickness so i wont want any cigs but i dont know I'm 5 weeks 5 days and someone told me i woulda had it by now. ohh well.
Good Luck! Drink lots of water. It's good the baby too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Aw bless you. I didn't have morning sickness when I was pregnant, in fact it was the healthiest, greatest 9 months ever. At that time my family doctor told me that trying to quit smoking could be stressful for me and harmful for the baby and that if I couldn't quit without all the stress that it would at least be better if I could change to a milder cigarette and cut back as much as possible. That is what I did. Our daughter was 7 lbs., 9.5 ounces and 22 inches long. I have been told that if you smoke the baby will be smaller - all I can say is "Thank God I smoked".
That baby is now 5' 11" and though not fat, she is no petite size.

As for not smoking being no fun, I enjoyed smoking very much and really didn't want to quit but being diagnosed with COPD, spending 9 days in hospital because I couldn't breathe and watching my brother sit around with oxygen 24/7 waiting for a lung transplant were all part of my wake-up call.

Since I quit, food tastes better, I breathe easier and overall I'm better for it. I still have a ways to go for my lungs to heal somewhat as they will never be a lot better because of 49 years of smoking.

There is a smoking thread in the lounge where some of us have been posting and encouraging each other - join in.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Aw bless you. I didn't have morning sickness when I was pregnant, in fact it was the healthiest, greatest 9 months ever. At that time my family doctor told me that trying to quit smoking could be stressful for me and harmful for the baby and that if I couldn't quit without all the stress that it would at least be better if I could change to a milder cigarette and cut back as much as possible. That is what I did. Our daughter was 7 lbs., 9.5 ounces and 22 inches long. I have been told that if you smoke the baby will be smaller - all I can say is "Thank God I smoked".
Ditto. I cut back on my smoking while pg to avoid the stress. I had 8lb 9oz baby and wonder how big he could have been. LoL Doctor said it was best to cut back then go cold turkey. Now that I am not nursing I am on Chantix. Best drug in the world.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I gained 60lbs and I had morning sickness, afternoon and evening sickness!! It was pretty bad! I gained a lot of weight because I was a little depressed ( my situation was not a great one, but I won't get into that) Don't worry about the weight you gain at all! Jaiden is 4 months old and I am almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight. (Breastfeeding is wonderful!) I still want to drop about 40-60lbs becasue I had put on some weight before I found out I was prego. Just remember to eat healthy!! Its better for you and the baby. in stead of that cookie make a salad!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

As for not smoking being no fun, I enjoyed smoking very much and really didn't want to quit but being diagnosed with COPD, spending 9 days in hospital because I couldn't breathe and watching my brother sit around with oxygen 24/7 waiting for a lung transplant were all part of my wake-up call.

Since I quit, food tastes better, I breathe easier and overall I'm better for it. I still have a ways to go for my lungs to heal somewhat as they will never be a lot better because of 49 years of smoking.

There is a smoking thread in the lounge where some of us have been posting and encouraging each other - join in.
My Dr said the same thing, but I wanted to be healthier for my baby. As soon as the sickness passed I picked it right back up again and Jaiden was 9lbs also. So much for small babies when you smoke

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told my DR how i was cutting down and she was like nope quit NOW or else your baby might miscarry (i've had2 in the past) or be born stillborn or die of SIDS, be under weight, you name it she hit it.
I know I'm kidding myself but if i could just have one drag it would be heaven

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what I find funny is i thought Doc would be proud of the cutting down and yell at me because I like o'douls non alcoholic beer (.5% or less) docc was like no have the "near beer" heck have a glass of wine but DO NOT smoke. go figure

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Go for a walk!!! Pet the cats, clea out old papers, check the mail, had wash all your dishes
eat an apple! Search somethig silly o the enternt. Youtube is GREAT for killig time.
Just don't think about it. I know it is hard, but in a few days you will be fine. It has been 16 hours sinse you last one. You have goe this far what is another 16 hours?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try finding an online support group or forum with others going through the same thing. Best of luck to you, I know how hard it is to quit. I've done it a dozen times already

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quite cold turkey about 12 years ago and the things that I found that help the most were:
1. Change your routine, times when you would normally smoke do something else.
2. Get more exercise, going for a 20 minute walk a couple of times a day really help to keep me focused.
3. Try eating different types of food that have stronger flavors. You may gain a few pounds but if will go away eventually.
4. Drink lots of water.
5. Make sure you are getting enough of both Vitamin B and C because you will lose them out of system as you go through withdrawal. If you notice that your mouth is getting really dry or your gums start getting sore this means you need more vitamin C.
6. Keep busy with a new hobby something that keeps your hands busy.
7. Look up the numbers for some telephone support groups that you can call should you feel tempted. Most areas have 24 hour hot lines so use those thats what they are there for and you would be surprised how talking for just a few minutes can curb a craving.
8. Enlist the help of friends and family as support when you feel tempted as well.
9. Remember the worse of the physical withdrawal will last for about 3-5 days and once you get past that point it will get easier.

Good luck and remember it is do-able just hang in there.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a failure, I hd a cigarette, it was nasty tasting but oh man did I feel better after. will be spending the day with hubby tomorrow we are both taking a vaca day and we will be out and about and keeping busy. sad thing is we had 1/2 a pack so there was the temptation. they are going in the trash, knowing me i will wet them first and break them. please send vibs for me for I am a nicotene addict and i have to break my addiction.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am a failure, I hd a cigarette, it was nasty tasting but oh man did I feel better after. will be spending the day with hubby tomorrow we are both taking a vaca day and we will be out and about and keeping busy. sad thing is we had 1/2 a pack so there was the temptation. they are going in the trash, knowing me i will wet them first and break them. please send vibs for me for I am a nicotene addict and i have to break my addiction.
Maybe you need baby steps to cut down then stop smoking? I wish you luck.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The most important thing is to keep trying, even cutting back slowly then quiting is better then not quiting at all.
Take it from someone who has quit it does get easier, the cravings will go away, and you will feel so much better.
Hang in there. Here are tons of vibes coming your way..

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks you guys. I had gone from a pack and a half to a pack and 3/4 a day to 5 cig's a day in one week. I was going to taper down to 4 for a couple days then 3 and so on til it was 1 then quit, but my doc told me no you will quit today. I know she's never smoked so I dont belive she understands, but tomorrow is a new day and I will have to take it day by day.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You are not a failure! Think positive look at how long you went with out one! Try sewing, knitting, or latch hooks. It is time consuming and keeps your hands busy.