Kitty litter pans!!

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone, post your kitty litter pans!

I am thinking of getting a deep underbed storage container and making it into a litter space for them - the cheapo plastic tray I am using is not big enough - my Maine Coon size cat keeps kicking the sand out of the box even though he tries not to (he kicks very daintily) - to give him credit, its just large enough to fit him and there is not enough room to turn around.

Also there is kitty litter everywhere in my house. Sigh.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the tall sided sterilite bins here. No matter how much they kick, they rarely can make it over the sides. The underbed storage ones are really wide, but not tall enough to prevent litter flingage.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
. You mentioned for them, if you have 2 or more kitties, it's best to have 2 litter boxes. I am partial to the enclosed boxes, it does help minimize the mess. The most important thing is to keep them clean, daily scooping and atleast every other week clean, disinfect, and replace litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got three actually - one pet loo, the one with the synthetic grass (they use it as a chair); one normal plastic cheapo litter box (they use this one as a toilet), and a hooded litter tray (they ignore this one).

I tried putting them into the hooded litter tray but they got spooked... I think they dun like doing their potty in a dark cave.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 Oz Pet trays, to use with Oz Pet litter. My boys are over 6kg and fit in just fine, I know of several MC breeders who use these trays too.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an "underbed" storage container for a litter box like this (without the lid obviously!):

They still get some litter out of the box, but it's mostly what's stuck in their paws when jumping out. They do have room to move around though, and 3 cats are happily sharing the one box with me scooping 1-2 times a day. They actually have a small pan in another room and it's rare that anyone even goes in that box.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I use the tall sided sterilite bins here. No matter how much they kick, they rarely can make it over the sides. The underbed storage ones are really wide, but not tall enough to prevent litter flingage.
That sounds like what I use for Kizzy. It's slightly bigger in base than the average litter pan, but at least double the height.

I can take a pic when I get home.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three rubermaid storage containers (they were on sale and I like the bottoms better). I have holes for side entry cut in them. About a week ago, when I was scooping, Sherman proved why they can't be top entry - he's a good sized cat but he can't hop right out. He tipped the container right over, and scared himself.

My point - if you get something with very high sides you may have to cut an entry hole. The solid colored rubbermaid containers can be cut with a utility knife, but you must be careful. Clearer plastics are sometimes more brittle and can be harder to cut unless you have something like a dremel tool and cutting wheels.

To help with litter tracking I have scratchers (mats and cardboard ones) in front of every litter box. They don't like the feel of litter between their toes and will use the scratchers.

Aside from that you have to sweep or vacuum the area every time you scoop.

Like several other members here, I also use chicken feed in the litter boxes. This doesn't seem track as badly as scoopable clay litters. So maybe if the tracking is still an issue you could look at different types of litters that may track less.