Belize, anyone?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll be heading to Belize in early 2010 to get married and wanted to know if anyone has been there before?

One of the coolest things that I already planned was reserving a private waterfall in the middle of a 7000 acre rainforest reserve. It's totally private and you get the waterfall for the day and the Inn will bring you lunch (complete with table, champagne etc). I am beyond excited for that!

Any tips? What should we see and do? I'm overwhelmed at all the choices and I already have a long list. But, would like to hear about any first hand experiences if you've been there before.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been, but have always wanted to go! Closest that I've been is Panama.

Can't give you tips, but can say that I'm very happy for you!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never been but it sounds wonderful. Hopefully someone will have been and can give you some tips.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never been in Belize dear Kass,
just only cross the border until Corozal my friend....
just be aware because the JUNGLE is very Hot and Humid...
congrats in advance...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A private waterfall? Niiiiice!

I've never been there before, and I'm super jealous!

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I'm newish here, but I have been to Belize. I spent 3 weeks in the Northern part of the country in 2007. what would you like to know? What part of Belize will you be in? Make sure to try and take some time to see a couple Mayan cities or temples. Xunatunich is near Belize and was a fantastic temple to see. If you have the time, you can try to arrange a day trip to Tikal in Guatamala, it is definitely worth seeing. Then of course any jungle hiking, canoeing etc. that you want to do.
If you have time you can check out the cayes too. We spent time on Ambergris Caye but Caye Caulker is very popular also.

Have fun! I really wanted to get married in Belize but my husband wasn't on board with the idea.

Sara

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

wow..congrats..and no never been there..but can't wait to see photos :-)
I'm scared I'll be taking too many pics! Rob might not even see me.

Originally Posted by clixpix

A private waterfall? Niiiiice!
Isn't that so cool? If I can't own my own private jet, in the least I'm going to rent a waterfall!

Originally Posted by Lilmonkeykeeper

Hi
I'm newish here, but I have been to Belize. I spent 3 weeks in the Northern part of the country in 2007. what would you like to know? What part of Belize will you be in? Make sure to try and take some time to see a couple Mayan cities or temples. Xunatunich is near Belize and was a fantastic temple to see. If you have the time, you can try to arrange a day trip to Tikal in Guatamala, it is definitely worth seeing. Then of course any jungle hiking, canoeing etc. that you want to do.
If you have time you can check out the cayes too. We spent time on Ambergris Caye but Caye Caulker is very popular also.

Have fun! I really wanted to get married in Belize but my husband wasn't on board with the idea.Sara
Thanks for your reply! What was your overall impression of the place? It seems like there is a great variety of things to do/see. Plus I was able to get a really good wedding price compared to some of the Carribean resorts I was researching.

We're staying in Hopkins for 5 nights and then heading into the Cayo for 5 nights. When I picked up a travel book on Belize I couldn't believe all the tours you can do! At least on this trip, we won't be able to make it out to Ambergris/Caulker Caye - but the waters look amazing out there.

Right now the only two definite tours from Hopkins is Xunatunich and the Cockscomb Jaguar preserve. We'll figure out others when we get there.

My sister will be going to Tikal, but I'll be heading to Caracol since it will be closer to my Cayo accomodations.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

I'm scared I'll be taking too many pics! Rob might not even see me.
I don't think that's even possible. I went to Switzerland last fall and I took 500+. I thought that was a lot until I went to Lithuania last month and I took 700.

A friend of mine just got back from Belize last week. I haven't had a lot of time to talk to him since he got back, but I do know the airline lost his luggage. Apparently, the flight to where he was only came in once a week, so he was stuck without it the entire time he was there. I think he was able to buy replacements on the local economy pretty cheaply, but I'd make sure you carry any of the really important stuff on the plane with you if at all possible.

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I loved Belize and can't wait to go back but won't be for awhile. The local people are very friendly and there is a lot of culture and pride in their country. It also has a lot of very interesting history.

When I was there I spent 2 weeks near Cayo district, in San Ignacio. There are some neat Mayan areas in there, Cahal Pech is the one I can remember off the top of my head. There is also a neat market on Saturdays in the downtown area.

Like I said Xunatunich is wonderful and fascinating. It's too bad you won't be able to go to Tikal, I really liked Tika. I didn't make it to Caracol or cockscomb.

If you fly into Belize City and have an hour or two to kill, check out the Belize Zoo. It is wonderful! Native animals and they do a lot of rehab work, especially with Jaguars. The zoo I used to work for has a Jaguar from their program. It's a small zoo and won't take long to go through.

You'll see lots and lots of wildlife, especially monkeys and birds. I highly recommend a canoe trip. If you are able and not afraid of heights, a Zipline tour might be a lot of fun.

You will love it, I promise!

Sara

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kass, this sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am SO excited for you and Rob - you must be having a BLAST looking up all this stuff, planning & etc. I'm just busting with smiles. It's going to be sooooooo wonderful.

Yeah... When I flew to Costa Rica it was in January, and it was the first international traveling I'd done on my own. Flew down with all my winter gear on, and the luggage took five days to show up.
DO take the important things with you on the plane and make sure you've got at least one change of clothes and all your necessary daily needs stuff WITH you!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

I don't think that's even possible. I went to Switzerland last fall and I took 500+. I thought that was a lot until I went to Lithuania last month and I took 700.

A friend of mine just got back from Belize last week. I haven't had a lot of time to talk to him since he got back, but I do know the airline lost his luggage......
I'm sure I'll take so many pics that when I return, people won't even see me for a month since I'll be sifting through all of them.

Lost luggage, lovely. I'll be sure to bring my wedding dress as a carry on. Hey, maybe I'll just wear it on the plane.

Originally Posted by Lilmonkeykeeper

I loved Belize and can't wait to go back but won't be for awhile. The local people are very friendly and there is a lot of culture and pride in their country. It also has a lot of very interesting history....You will love it, I promise!

Sara
Thanks so much, Sara. Actually, my sister went down to Belize also in 2007 and she can't stop talking about it. It's good to hear that you also loved it. I'm so excited.

And, yes, I'd love to drop by the zoo. I just don't know how I'm going to fit it in. When we fly down, we'll be exhausted...3 planes to get there! I may have to try to fit it in on our way back to the airport when we are leaving. It sounds like a real treat.

Originally Posted by LDG

Kass, this sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...................
After the last 4 months of life issues, yes, it does sound totally amazing. Really, a dream for us. We're going to make every minute count.

Originally Posted by LDG

...... When I flew to Costa Rica it was in January, and it was the first international traveling I'd done on my own. Flew down with all my winter gear on, and the luggage took five days to show up. ..........

Laurie
As I said above, I'm making sure my wedding dress is with me every step of the way! If they lost my luggage, I really wouldn't want to get married in my bathing suit!