Ragdoll chased Squirrel up a tree

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been letting my Ragdoll outside on my driveway and front lawn the last 2 months while being fully supervised by myself. Last week my 8 year old Ragdoll "Momma" walked over to my neighbors chain link fence and challenged their 20 pound mixed breed terrier. She walked right up to the fence and fluffed up swatted and hissed at the dog through the fence. Today......I witnessed Momma sneaking across my front lawn in a low stance.......then suddenly sprinting toward a squirrel and chasing it up the maple tree here
She came within 10 feet of the squirrel who quickly climbed up the tree in fear for it's life
I quickly went and caught her as the tree is only 5 feet from the residential roadway. Only god knows what she would of done with that squirrel if she happened to catch it. I do realize that cats are territorial by nature. I was just shocked at her aggressive behavior while running about 50 feet to try to catch the squirrel
Is chasing squirrels normal for outdoor cats? Momma is an indoor cat.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very, very normal. I wouldn't call that aggression at all. Cats are predators to little animals like mice, birds, and squirrels. It's prey drive. One of the most natural instincts cats have.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mice, squirrels, voles, chipmonks, gophers, small lizards, and the like are cat's natural food. What you are reporting is a cat acting like a cat.

Now--what to do if she kills it and presents it to you? Well, I don't know about the others, but squirrel is delicious.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guess you will be buying her one of those squirrel plush toys, lol. I am officially jealous of your screen name....Iam also a slave do ragolls

We are adopting our second one nxt weekend....a retired adult.
Enjoy

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Of course, but in my experience Ragdoll behavior would be to lie down and watch the squirrel run around!
I thought about that, too.
My first cat was a ragdoll and she would have probably just stared.

But anyway, it's not aggression at all. All cats have a certain level of prey drive. Some cats might have a lower amount of prey drive than others
, but it's something fundamental in a cat.
As for the indoor/outdoor cat thing, cats are cats no matter if they live inside or outside, or both. My cats or inside cats, but when Molly got out I found her stalking and chasing lizards. That's why toys like Da Bird are so popular- it helps indoor cats get the stimulation natural and needed for them to chase, stalk, and pounce.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

I thought about that, too.
My first cat was a ragdoll and she would have probably just stared.

But anyway, it's not aggression at all. All cats have a certain level of prey drive. Some cats might have a lower amount of prey drive than others
, but it's something fundamental in a cat.
As for the indoor/outdoor cat thing, cats are cats no matter if they live inside or outside, or both. My cats or inside cats, but when Molly got out I found her stalking and chasing lizards. That's why toys like Da Bird are so popular- it helps indoor cats get the stimulation natural and needed for them to chase, stalk, and pounce.
smudge's natural position is on his back, pretty much!

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Squirrels are made out of meat, so something about it caused the "DINNER!!!" neuron to fire. Sounds completely normal. I wouldn't call it territorial behavior; the cat would probably like there to be several slow-moving squirrels in her territory.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Now--what to do if she kills it and presents it to you? Well, I don't know about the others, but squirrel is delicious.
Ewwwww

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Ewwwww
It happens! My grandmother used to live in a neighborhood where an outdoor cat used to bring her a mouse or bird and leave it on her doorstep every morning. I used to wonder if she would step on it one day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your comments.......A Ragdoll per breed is supposed to never be let outside due to their docile nature. Momma is a pure breed with papers. I was very surprised to see my "Momma" challenge a dog that she has never seen face to face plus chase a squirrel up a tree. The Ragdoll breed is known to be very mild natured and floppy and are not known to be aggressive unless cornered by an animal. This instinct just caught me off guard on 2 separate occasions

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have several friends who hunt and are generous with their takings. They bring me venison and squirrel and other game.

Use squirrel as you would chicken, but use a wet rather than a dry cooking method. I generally make squirrel cacciatore--just take your favorite chicken cacciatore recipe and substitute squirrel. It tastes like chicken dark meat but with a nutty flavor; there are lots of little bones.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have several friends who hunt and are generous with their takings. They bring me venison and squirrel and other game.

Use squirrel as you would chicken, but use a wet rather than a dry cooking method. I generally make squirrel cacciatore--just take your favorite chicken cacciatore recipe and substitute squirrel. It tastes like chicken dark meat but with a nutty flavor; there are lots of little bones.
We need to keep this thread on topic........Thank You!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

We need to keep this thread on topic........Thank You!
I thought the topic was what do do when your cat kills a squirrel. My suggestion is that if your cat doesn't eat it, you can, and I have given my suggestion of how to prepare it. I don't see that it is off topic; if I had discussed venison cookery, that would be off topic because unless your cat is a puma, he certainly can't bring down a deer.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I thought the topic was what do do when your cat kills a squirrel. My suggestion is that if your cat doesn't eat it, you can, and I have given my suggestion of how to prepare it. I don't see that it is off topic; if I had discussed venison cookery, that would be off topic because unless your cat is a puma, he certainly can't bring down a deer.
Ragdoll chased Squirrel up a tree
I have been letting my Ragdoll outside on my driveway and front lawn the last 2 months while being fully supervised by myself. Last week my 8 year old Ragdoll "Momma" walked over to my neighbors chain link fence and challenged their 20 pound mixed breed terrier. She walked right up to the fence and fluffed up swatted and hissed at the dog through the fence. Today......I witnessed Momma sneaking across my front lawn in a low stance.......then suddenly sprinting toward a squirrel and chasing it up the maple tree here She came within 10 feet of the squirrel who quickly climbed up the tree in fear for it's life I quickly went and caught her as the tree is only 5 feet from the residential roadway. Only god knows what she would of done with that squirrel if she happened to catch it. I do realize that cats are territorial by nature. I was just shocked at her aggressive behavior while running about 50 feet to try to catch the squirrel Is chasing squirrels normal for outdoor cats? Momma is an indoor cat.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A different take on the old saying "If life hands you lemons..."

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lita my 7 year old Ragdoll is very sick..........I will have a very tough decision to make within the next week
Please pray for her to survive her kidney desease

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Of course, but in my experience Ragdoll behavior would be to lie down and watch the squirrel run around!
Funny you say that - my two ragdolls have very different hunting techniques: Bugsy does what I assume every cat does in approaching his prey, but when he gets to it he stops and watches... f-o-r-e-v-e-r!
Lucky... ah... she is precious... being chatty like she is, she goes to somewhat close to the prey, and calls it - she meoooowwwww-www-sss this painful meow, as though she was trying to convince the little bird to come down the tree - the same meow she uses to call me to open the door when she wants to go outside.
It's the funniest thing... even funnier to watch Bugsy getting frustrated with her technique messing up his...

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even though the ragdoll is meant to have a low hunting instinct, she still is a cat. And cats are naturally hunters. It's perfectly normal. I've never met a cat who seems to not be responsive to prey at all.

BTW, a rescue in the area has a ragdoll cat. She is beautiful.