Mom's quilt won first in class!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom quilts extensively - to the tune of having a "quilt room" in the condo.

At the 2009 Birmingham Quilter's Guild Show this past weekend, her applique quilt won first in class!

Here are her other two entries - these are both quilt projects where they give you material, you don't pick it out yourself, and you do your best to get creative with it.

There were over 400 quilts at the Guild Show, and each category had about 15 entries.

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her green one is quite lovely! I can see how she won with that one. I have one similar to the bottom right one on my couch that I'm repairing (I work on it when watching tv). It was done by one of my DH's relatives and the amount of stitching and time that was put into it is a bit mind boggling. Sadly, it looks like no one took care of the poor quilt.

To think people put a bit of their heart and soul into making those and some people let them fall apart... I hope your mother's quilts always find caring homes! I consider quilts art, in a way, and people should take care of and respect them.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, beautiful, your mom had to win with a quilt like that. The other 2 are great too. I wish I had the talent to do something like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Her green one is quite lovely! I can see how she won with that one. I have one similar to the bottom right one on my couch that I'm repairing (I work on it when watching tv). It was done by one of my DH's relatives and the amount of stitching and time that was put into it is a bit mind boggling. Sadly, it looks like no one took care of the poor quilt.

To think people put a bit of their heart and soul into making those and some people let them fall apart... I hope your mother's quilts always find caring homes! I consider quilts art, in a way, and people should take care of and respect them.
Such a lovely way to put it! They really are art, and do take loving hands.

The quilts she's given to family always come rolled on a hard cardboard tube, and wrapped in acid-free tissue paper, so she makes it easy for us to care for them if we're going to store them! Most of hers really are art, though, and are for hanging:

This is a pic of my mom & dad, but you can see the beautiful quilt (too bad you can see the colors or the quilting though!) in the background, behind the fish tank on the right:

I think I've posted most of these before, but....

I'm so proud of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Terrible lighting, sorry:

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations to your mom! That's a beautiful quilt that deserved a prize!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Wow, beautiful, your mom had to win with a quilt like that. The other 2 are great too. I wish I had the talent to do something like that.
Sadly, I did not inherit her talent.
My sister did though. She doesn't quilt, but my sister (and my mom) crochet, knit, cross stitch - and, applique.

They both crochet the most AMAZING things. At Christmas I'll have to take pictures of the snowflake ornaments they make. They use the thinnest thread - must be SUCH a tiny crochet hook, and crochet the most amazing, beautiful snowflakes - 4" or 5" in size. I mean - I'm too blind to even try something like that!

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ack! Is that a halogen lamp near a quilt?
Halogen lamps spook me a bit since we had one in my childhood home start something on the wall on fire.

And she does very nice work. I hope family and friends luckily enough to receive pieces of her art always take wonderful care of it. Personally I wish people who make quilts would sign them, like with other art, that way the family can't mix up who made it 50-70 years ago.

My DH's grandmother does a lot of quilting and applique work. ...In fact DH has a quilt he was given years ago, which I have to fix when I finish the one I'm working on.
I'm going to make him help since he wasn't taking care of it!

Also, I don't think quilting and crocheting is something that requires massive amounts of talent so much as they are hobbies that require a lot of patiences. I can quilt, crochet, etc if I actually want to...having the patience to stick to something for long enough to finish it though...

If you have the patience, Laurie, don't sell yourself short. I bet you could do whatever you put your mind to.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow those are gorgeous! She certainly has talent.

I love the one to the left of the ladder. Shes definitely has an artful eye.
Congratulations to her

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realy like her more abstract colorful ones.

What does she do with all her quilts? Does she sell them afterwards?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My mother was a quilter and trust me when I say I absolutely appreciate the art work that your mother makes!!! Congratulations to her for winning the show!!

I've got 5 of my mom's quilts with 3 of them on a wooden quilt stand that my dad made. I'm too afraid to put them on a bed and risk that the cats claw them up. I'll hang some of them up on a wall once I know the cats are too old to try to climb them (right).

I have a room full of fabric (mom always said that the person with the most fabric when they die wins). I'm actually making my first quilt in my spare time (what little that is) and it's similar to the one in the bottom left picture.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats to your mum!
( She`s so cute! )

There was a programe on tv the other day with an American lady selling one of her vast collection of quilts in an auction over here. People go mad for them over here!
I saw a beautiful one at a county show a few weeks back but it was £300 for a single!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

I realy like her more abstract colorful ones.

What does she do with all her quilts? Does she sell them afterwards?
No, even better.
She gives them to people, nursing homes, and local charities.

She's all excited because she got a new sewing machine. She called a couple of weeks ago to say she's doing her part to help stimulate the economy.

She used to be a "purist" and wouldn't use the machine for the quilting OR the piecework! THAT is some truly amazing work. As she's gotten older (she's 76 now!), she's started "cheating" (according to her). First was using the machine for the piecework. Now it's using the machine for the quilting. But it's all still amazing, as far as I'm concerned.

Laurie

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that green quilt is stunning!!! I love quilts, cant make them though lol. Tell your mom congratulations! Quilt work is hard work! My grandma made me a baby quilt as a kid and a precious moments quilt, the PM quilt i took everywhere!!! I loved that thing!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow those are awesome!! Thanks for the photos!

How long did it take for her to make each one??

A couple of years ago I picked up a single old quilt at a rummage/estate sale for $30. All the stitching hand done I should have bought all they hand and I don't think anyone realized that there were gicing them away.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful quilt!
Congratulations to your mom, although, she definately deserved to win with a quilt like that.

Your mom really does beautiful work, and I love how she does both traditional patterns and some of the more modern abstract ones. The quilt behind the fishtank in that one picture is also stunning.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

What a beautiful quilt!
Congratulations to your mom, although, she definately deserved to win with a quilt like that.

Your mom really does beautiful work, and I love how she does both traditional patterns and some of the more modern abstract ones. The quilt behind the fishtank in that one picture is also stunning.
I call it the "compass" quilt. I'd been bugging her for years to make one for me. She kept putting it off because it is a LOT of work - all those little diamonds are so much more difficult than squares or circles!

The green applique quilt that won the competition technically took... 64 years to make.
It was a "project" piece given to her by her aunt when she was 11. She started the applique work but never finished it. It traveled with her throughout life - and when packing everything up to move from their home in GA to the condo in Birmingham in 2006, she decided she wanted to finish it.

I'll ask her how long it takes to make any given type of quilt - but as you can see from her quilt room, she gets lots of projects going at one time. For the guild show, she decided to tackle some of her "UFOs," as she calls them. "UnFinished Objects."

Laurie