Stray Cat

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello

I am new to the boards. Tonight my dog was barking and I see this long haired tiger cat getting into my garbage. Hubby and I go out and the cat runs away...we go back inside and she comes right back. This happens several times. Hubby and I talk it over and decide that she/he is very hungry to keep coming back so fast.

I fixed a bowl of dry food and put it out by the garbage and she came right back and started eating it right up. Hubby turned on the porch light and she didnt run. He even went out and sat on the step and she still stayed.

We have 3 cats and a dog...didnt really want another cat but as hubby says. How can you not help? I have seen the cat around a couple times but I have no idea of who's cat it is. Any suggestions? We are willing to take the time to gain her trust and see if she can fit in the household.

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions you may have would be wonderful! All our cats were rescues but came from a shelter/stray when really young. So we really dont have much experience on how to tame a cat if indeed she is feral. And I call her a she but we really have no idea.

Tammy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, it is not sure she is a feral. I think she is probably a stray. Not really successfull either. Otherwise she wouldnt be so desperate to get food.

If so, it will make the fostering easier.

How and where - it may depend.

What is important, is to plan for the first time in your home: ie a quarantene and a vet check up including deworming and deparasiting as soon as possible. (sooner or later also a neutering).

How strict the quarantene shall be depends on if your cats are: healthy, fully vaccinated, and if they are strictly indoors, or if they often roam outdoors.

If they are outdoors cats, they had surely met most of the bacterias, parasites and viruses common among cats in the neighboorhod, thus you dont need to overdo the quarantene. The basics should be enough.
You dont want to have the parasites she surely has into your house either...

If they are strictly indoors, and or have health issues - then of course a more elaborate and longer quarantene is necessary.

If you have an extra, separate room it is nice. Many rescuers live in flats and have the quarantene simply in the bathroom.
If you dont have any suitable room, a big dog cage may be useful: this way you can often use a room otherwise not suitable for keeping a cat in: a cellar, a hut etcetera.

Do continue giving her food.
You will probably soon see which is easiest:
If she will simply follow you into the house.
Or if she is willing to go into a carrier.
Or if you must take her in a human trap.
Or if you simply try to socialize in her outside, and first with time, the next steps...

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

All my cats are strictly indoors. So a longer quarantee would be in order. I do have an extra bedroom that I could use to set her up in until I can get her to the vet and get her all her shots and make sure she is healthy.

I was heading up to bed last night and there she was sitting by the side of the road by my mailbox looking at my house. She had eaten all the cat food I had put out so I did put a little bit more out in case she was still hungry. I didnt want to upset her tummy by giving her a huge amount. When I got up this morning it was gone but I have no idea if she was the one that actually ate it.

I'll see if she comes back tonight. Its so sad to see a hungry kitty. Hubby last night was shaking his head over it. He's a big softie like me

I was thinking of putting the cat food out and sitting on the steps and gently talking to her while she ate so she could get used to our voices. Eventually moving the food closer to us. Its about 6 to 8 feet from the mailbox to the steps. What do you think?

I'll keep you updated.
Tammy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by TJN66

I was thinking of putting the cat food out and sitting on the steps and gently talking to her while she ate so she could get used to our voices. Eventually moving the food closer to us. Its about 6 to 8 feet from the mailbox to the steps. What do you think?
Yes, it may work with a little luck. Especielly if she is a stray. But also some born outside had been known to go in voluntarily.

Good luck!