Fringe

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone here like the show Fringe? It is going to start here next Wednesday night (I know, we are so far behind!!!)

I can't decide if I want to watch it - I heard that it is not too different to the X-Files - is this true? I love the X-Files and so I was wondering if I should watch it? It is also on at the same time as another show I like but have missed a lot due to work commitments in the past..

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I LOVE this show!!! I was hooked after the 1st episode!! It is very well done. The chemistry between the cast members is amazing. It makes the show really.

I was not an X-Files watcher so I can't compare but I vote yes! In case you couldn't tell...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is a good show. It is quite similiar to the X-files in that it covers some bizarre topics. So of the ideas are really out there but it is entertaining and does keep you on the edge of your seat...The cast also fits really well together.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked it at first, but then the BAD science in it made me stop watching.
Its not anything you'd notice if you didn't have a background in genetics and neuroscience like I do, but after the second or third episode, I just couldn't take it anymore. Which is a shame, because other than that, I really enjoyed the show and the cast.

Nowadays, I watch Leverage - I don't know enough about thievery to care about anything other than a good show.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Fringe! very good show, keeps you on the edge of your seat
I also really like the characters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then it is decided! I will start watching it next week!

Sandtigress - I study genetics so I will be interested to see what they come up with!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its more the neuroscience of things that got me. Early on, they exclaim "We can see what this guy last saw by looking at the back of his retinas!" Errr, no, no you can't, actually. It doesn't work that way.
I had to give up on it after that - I would have spent too long arguing with the TV if I hadn't!

I really did enjoy it, except for stuff like that though.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I think its more the neuroscience of things that got me. Early on, they exclaim "We can see what this guy last saw by looking at the back of his retinas!" Errr, no, no you can't, actually. It doesn't work that way.
I had to give up on it after that - I would have spent too long arguing with the TV if I hadn't!

I really did enjoy it, except for stuff like that though.
WHAT???? That is funny!
If that was true, our eyes would be so badly imprinted from the things we saw all the time.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby and I watched it and really liked it! We watched it because we're fans of sci fi/paranormal shows, and it was also created by JJ Abrams, and we'll watch anything he does
You definitely need to look past all the bad practical science, like any tv show though (House - I'm looking at you!!!).

My favourite part was when they were doing an ultrasound and Walter was moving the wand in big circles over the guys belly, yet the ultrasound screen showed a perfectly still picture

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hubby and I watched it and really liked it! We watched it because we're fans of sci fi/paranormal shows, and it was also created by JJ Abrams, and we'll watch anything he does
You definitely need to look past all the bad practical science, like any tv show though (House - I'm looking at you!!!).

My favourite part was when they were doing an ultrasound and Walter was moving the wand in big circles over the guys belly, yet the ultrasound screen showed a perfectly still picture
LOL! I can't wait to watch it then!

House...I love House and I know there is plenty of bad science there!
Ahh..artistic licence - gotta love it.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than the general claim that "bone marrow biopsies hurt like <beep>" (I've had one...it wasn't that bad) I don't know enough medicine to quibble with shows like House and E.R. I'm sure its there, it just isn't "fingernails on the chalkboard" bad enough for me to mind it. Though I laughed pretty hard when 17 went to get her results for the Huntington's test, and it came out of this machine with a bunch of other genetic test results. Yeah, I wish it worked like that.

You gotta love TV, right?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Other than the general claim that "bone marrow biopsies hurt like <beep>" (I've had one...it wasn't that bad) I don't know enough medicine to quibble with shows like House and E.R. I'm sure its there, it just isn't "fingernails on the chalkboard" bad enough for me to mind it. Though I laughed pretty hard when 17 went to get her results for the Huntington's test, and it came out of this machine with a bunch of other genetic test results. Yeah, I wish it worked like that.

You gotta love TV, right?
It would be so good if test results could come out like that. It is the same with CSI when they have the GC-MS results just pop up in 30 seconds.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love on House that the same 3 doctors do blood draws, x-rays, injections, genetic testing, surgery, biopsies, you name it....

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I just love on House that the same 3 doctors do blood draws, x-rays, injections, genetic testing, surgery, biopsies, you name it....
I know! Where are the nurses? X-ray technicians? Phlebilogists? (Sp?)

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched part of the first season and enjoyed it, but I missed several shows and I hate not knowing what's going on, so refused to watch the rest

Some of them are ridiculous, but its all in the name of entertainment!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I watched part of the first season and enjoyed it, but I missed several shows and I hate not knowing what's going on, so refused to watch the rest

Some of them are ridiculous, but its all in the name of entertainment!
I'm the same way about shows, I have about 10 episodes of Ugly Betty to watch, but my DVR missed one episode and I won't watch the rest til I watch that one
you can watch Fringe online!

Some subject matter on Fringe is waaaaaay out there, but that's why they call it Fringe!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Fringe for the most part. Yep, like any show they gloss over the science, but you've gotta allow for artistic licence.
I think it's definitely owes a lot to the X-Files.
The characters are ineresting and the cast works well together, so it's quite enjoyable to watch.