Found a grey squirrel tail did they really eat it??

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive seen my cats eat mice but today I found a grey squirrel tail right near my back poarch! JUST The tail nothing else! did they really eat the whole squirrel? How do i know they are the ones that took it? I thought cats killing squirrels were rare? THe tailed measured 7 inches I saw that same colored squirrel on my back deck a week ago now i just see its tail?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible. We had a really tiny Siamese back in Philly who was an avid squirrel hunter, and yes, she ate them. There were three huge maples in front of the house, and she would climb all the way to the top to get at the squirrels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so if i just find a tail means the cat ate it?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kinda know this squirrel personally i guess which is why i am in shock! He lived in my yard for years and years eating the bird seed. He is HUGE like the biggest squirrel i have ever seen. I Noticed tho the past few weeks he had been getting braver and started comming super close to the house. All my cats were strays at first so I guess some of them have this huge craving for wild meat. I just can't believe one of them took on something that big. Or something that could put up such a fight? I mean why kill something that fights back when u got so much food available or smaller things to hunt.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

It's possible. We had a really tiny Siamese back in Philly who was an avid squirrel hunter, and yes, she ate them. There were three huge maples in front of the house, and she would climb all the way to the top to get at the squirrels.
were the ones she caught the large grey kind that were full grown also?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Well, squirrels are made out of meat, so it seems likely.
I'm probably not supposed to laugh, but that was funny! I find tons of tails from chipmunks - but never a squirrel, so far.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Father says that when Zane was a neighborhood stray and then an indoor-outdoor cat, he would kill and eat squirrels.

(Actually, I have eaten squirrel my self. It is delicious.)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

were the ones she caught the large grey kind that were full grown also?
Yes, and she only weighed 6 lbs., so it always surprised me that she'd go after them. We had another cat who caught and killed a marten (similar to a weasel) that was much bigger than her, so I guess size or aggression isn't always a deterrent.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I think sometimes a cat will find a roadkilled squirrel and bring it home to eat it. Because squirrels are MEAN, and I doubt that most cats will try to kill one unless it's already sick or injured. There are some brave kitties out there, but I think most of the time they find it already dead or nearly dead.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never saw it, but before they came to be with me Father said that Zane would catch and kill them. And Zane has no front claws.