Anyone Else With Impossible Hair?

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My hair is quite long [hits the middle of my butt] and is naturally wavey with impossible to tame frizzies.

Had my hair washed at a salon several years ago and remember the manager saying that in 27 yrs. he had NEVER seen hair such as mine [as he and an assistant were struggling to comb it out after the washing].

Anyone know of a hair detangler [after washng] that really works and doesn't add weight or make your hair feel greasy?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered a shorter hair style, something with layers? You can then use a brush and dryer to straighten it, or not. It would be easier to manager all around.

You might also look into products made for black hair which needs lots of moisturizing in order to control the frizzies.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have impossible hair as well! Mine is about the same length as yours, but stick straight and VERY fine. Everytime I get my haird done people complain about how tangeled it gets. What I do is comb my hair out after I put condiniter. Then as I am rensing it out I comb it. Then while drying it I section it out and pat my towel comb that section after and then add more and repeat. I know its a pain and alot to do but its the only thing that works for me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is thick and wavy (and tangley), too. I WANT something to weigh it down
. I use Garnier Fructisse leave-in conditioner. I don't remember the exact name of the product, though (might be "leave-in conditioner", LOL). It doesn't make my hair greasy.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have long thick, wavy, and frizzy hair. I straighten mine, which helps with the frizz, and waviness. I also use Garnier-Fructis leave in conditioner. My hair gets tangly at times, and its very hard to get them out.

Here's my routine. I was my hair every other day, and I use Dove Intense Damage Repair Therapy, the shampoo and conditioner. I shampoo first, washing thoroughly, and when I condition, I leave it in during the whole shower (like, while I wash my body and shave, etc,). Then after I towel dry, I use the leave-in conditioner, and if I happen to have any, some Frizz-eaze. My hair is usually tangle free after blow-drying and straightening.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to use a childrens' detangling shampoo, and they used to make leave in detangling spray..

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use leave in conditioner (as well as conditioner in the shower) I just spray it on after I towel dry my hair and then comb and all is well. Panteen Pro-v & Aussie make it and I've used both of those, I think Herbal Essences makes it too. I can usually only find one brand in the store at a time for some reason though so look around. It's just like spraying water on your hair only it really does help to detangle. Once it dries you cant tell it was ever there.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have ridiculously thick, wavy hair and it is also impossible. Every time I go to the hairdresser they say "your hair is SO thick" "I haven't seen hair this thick in a long time" "this must be so hard to manage" etc.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Have you considered a shorter hair style, something with layers?
That depends on the hair. My hair doesn't work with layers because it makes it too light and therefore more frizzy. My hair needs the length to add weight to it to keep it kinda straight. Any sort of thinning or layering turns it into a big frizz ball. I need to either have it professionally straightened (which costs a fortune), straighten it myself (which takes 45 minutes just to do an ok job), or go super short, which I don't want to do.

Have you been to a hairdresser to ask what they recommend? I don't like using either products either - that greasy feeling is horrible. I just put put my hair in a pony tail to deal with it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My hair is also very thick AND very 'light'. I let it grow to it's current length because I then braid it and then wrap the braid around the back of my head into something like a bun.

Wanna hear something really ironic? More than a few people have commented on how 'beautiful' my hair is! OMG, how that makes me smile. If only they knew the ugly truth, that it looks like I stuck my fingers in electric sockets after my just washed hairs dries
!

Before I let it grow really long it was about halfway down my back and I was probably the last remaining woman in America that spent 45 minutes rolling her hair up in those metal/mesh rollers and sleeping on them the whole night, every night of the week.

You see, I had to force my hair to be straight and smooth by torturing IT and ME! Hot rollers or those straightening tools? Forget it. I bleach my hair many shades lighter than natural and those apparatus' would 'fry' my already frizzy hair and make it snap and break off and stick out even more.

Cut it all off and wear it short? Ah, if only I could. Many years ago I had one of those Sassoon cap cuts and yup, had to hold it down with hair gel and cover it with a heavy duty hairnet at night to keep it stright and down during the next day and god forbid when it rained and the humidity was soaked up by my hair like a sponge!

Oh brother, I can't begin to tell you the many losing battles I've had my entire life with this curse that sits on top of my head [sigh].

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhhh the joy of hair - what works for one person is NEVER the same as what works for the next even though they may have similar hair!

I regularly have people tell me how gorgeous my thick, wavy hair is, it always makes me laugh. They're generally older than 70. Apparently I have the sort of hair that little old ladies want

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ahhhh the joy of hair - what works for one person is NEVER the same as what works for the next even though they may have similar hair!

I regularly have people tell me how gorgeous my thick, wavy hair is, it always makes me laugh. They're generally older than 70. Apparently I have the sort of hair that little old ladies want
I would bet that what they wanted was the thickness of your hair. My dear departed mamma had very thin hair [and would lament and cry about it on occasion] and my grandmama was actually bald to the middle of the top of her skull.

Where did I get my unmanageable mane? Musta been the milkman
!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PookieBoy

I would bet that what they wanted was the thickness of your hair. My dear departed mamma had very thin hair [and would lament and cry about it on occasion] and my grandmama was actually bald to the middle of the top of her skull.

Where did I get my unmanageable mane? Musta been the milkman
!
They say they love the waves. Oh and they love the colour as well. I have strawberry blonde hair and always get "that's a colour you can't get out of a bottle no matter how hard you try". To me it's just unmanageable hair!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with coming with a tangle comb while the conditioner is in. I used to have hair that long and that was the only way I could keep it from turning into a giant knot when I showered!

But I got it chopped off a few years back and have never looked back! I love being able to blow dry and style my hair in maybe 30 minutes when it used to take well over an hour, closer to 2 if I wanted it to be pretty!
Actually for our winter formal that was mine and my boyfriends first date back in 02 I sat in the stylist chair for 3 full hours while she fought my hair into the most amazing french twist I've ever seen!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I have ridiculously thick, wavy hair and it is also impossible. Every time I go to the hairdresser they say "your hair is SO thick" "I haven't seen hair this thick in a long time" "this must be so hard to manage" etc.
I get that, too!
My hair is long, dark, and naturally curly, though when I brush it gets less curl and more wave. I get it cut shorter with layers, though not too short, or I'm afraid it'll go UP and I'll look like I have a bit of a 'fro.

It's so thick and gets very, very dry pretty easily. I use like half a bottle of shampoo/conditioner every day because it takes so much to get all of my hair saturated, and don't even get me started on how long it takes to rinse it out.

If I don't layer it to lighten it up a bit I get back aches from the weight (and I'm only 17!)

People tell me constantly it's beautiful, especially when I wear it down, but it's such a pain in the rear to manage sometimes I just want to shave it off!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair is really crazy too. I have it medium length and layered now, but before I had a few relaxing perms that would not have been possible. It used to be so frizzy and curly ...Now it's more wavy after the perms. The best thing I have found for detangling is get a wide tooth comb and while you are in the shower, put on your moisturizing conditioner, shower and scrub your body while the conditioner is on for about 2-3 minutes or even more, then while the conditioner is still on start running the wide tooth comb through it. Sometimes it may not work if it's too tangled, and in that case what I do is I get under the shower and with the water running through my hair I comb it..that works pretty well for me. And I wear gel every day and I moisturize my hair every day while I'm in the shower although I only wash it with shampoo twice a week. Shampoo really dries your hair and if you have wavy, frizzy tangled hair the last thing you want is for it to be dry. I find that the gel really helps keep it less tangled on a day to day basis. Oh and never use a hairdryer let it dry naturally with the gel (put gel on while it's still wet).

ETA: I use medium hold gel because if I use strong hold it makes it too hard and not attractive!!

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I agree with coming with a tangle comb while the conditioner is in. I used to have hair that long and that was the only way I could keep it from turning into a giant knot when I showered!

But I got it chopped off a few years back and have never looked back! I love being able to blow dry and style my hair in maybe 30 minutes when it used to take well over an hour, closer to 2 if I wanted it to be pretty!
Actually for our winter formal that was mine and my boyfriends first date back in 02 I sat in the stylist chair for 3 full hours while she fought my hair into the most amazing french twist I've ever seen!
Ohhhh, my goodness. Three hours? What we don't go through to be beautifull!

P.S. Hope you got pictures!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hairdressers always told me never to comb wet curly hair. You can bet they don't have curly of their own. I comb mine with my fingers in the shower. Tresemme is what I started with years ago to make it more manageable.
No I don't wash it. I condition it only with Tresemme moisture rich and I leave it in. I use Pantene once a week-Original blue formula.

The Garnier makes my hair softer and frizzier. You could by those .99 travel size products to test them out.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try The Long Hair Community forums. They have lots of good suggestions on dealing with difficult longer hair.
They've certainly helped me keep mine under control (I'm at knee!)

Personally I'd suggest a clarify with clarifying shampoo followed by deep moisture and a touch of coconut oil.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Impossible hair here too! My hair is very thin, straight, slippery and long (long enough to easily sit on, reaches under my butt). It's impossible to do anything to it, curls just straighten right off, it's so sleek that it's not possible to get any shape of hair-style that needs any fixing, ponytails will slip off.. So I just let it grow and don't really do anything to it except for washing and dying it.
I'm actually thinking of getting a Volumaster, but I kinda doubt that my hair is too heavy for that..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago I worked with a woman who had two bi-racial teenagers, one of them a girl who was very picky about her hair. She had long thick hair that would be a mass of tangles after being washed. The only thing she found that worked for her was a detangler made by Sebastian. That was a number of years ago but they probably still make it.