Any good treatments for mild acne?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have what I would consider mild to moderat acne. It seems to have gotten worse lately, and at almost 35 I'm not sure what is the right product to try? I was lookin at Proactiv, but I hate the idea of getting product shipped to me every 60 days wether I need it or not. Any suggestions on good products?

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to "bite the bullet" with both of my kids and take them to the dermatologist. Both of the kids' skin looks a whole lot better.

My next-door neighbor has it as well, she said after she went to the doctor they gave her something that got rid of it.

Beyond that- the only thing that ever helped the girls (before it got out of control) was Neutrogena.

Cheryl

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never really had a problem with acne. I would get the odd pimple, but usually never more than 1 to 3 at a time. However, I always used Clearasil soap and that cleared things right up.

I'm 47 and have really oily skin. I wake up and my face looks and feels as though I smeared it completely with oil. I have to wash my face twice in the morning before it feels clean.

So far as moisturizers go, I don't use them at all. I like that "tight and dry" feeling that you have right after washing your face. Unfortunately my skin is so greasy that that feeling last about 10 minutes.

I don't really have a skin care regime or a specific line of products that I use. I've used everything from Sunlight Dish Soap, Noxema to Baby Shampoo on my face. And I often dip a cotton ball into rubbing alcohol and run it over my face to sop up some of the excess oil during the day.

You can try Biore products. There are facial cleansers as well as astringents. Until last year I was using their Shine Control facial wash, but I can't find it here anymore so I've switched to washing my face with Baby Shampoo because I can scrub my eye lashes and not worry about burning out my eyeballs while doing it! I have "blepharitis" which is inflammed eye lash folicles, so it's important that I keep my eye lashes clean.

It's important to know that hormone fluctuations can lead to acne. So that's why a woman will sometimes see a pimple or two around the time of their period. Certain foods such as chocolate can cause out breaks too. And I've noticed for myself, that if my cats rub against my face I will break out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I have what I would consider mild to moderat acne. It seems to have gotten worse lately, and at almost 35 I'm not sure what is the right product to try? I was lookin at Proactiv, but I hate the idea of getting product shipped to me every 60 days wether I need it or not. Any suggestions on good products?
Our daughter was just telling me the other day that a dermatologist told her that Proactiv was good but as soon as you stop using it your problem comes back.

I didn't have blemishes as a teen and I honestly think it is because I used Noxzema.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

They sell proactiv here in the malls. I wouldn't buy it online for the reason that I don't want it automatically sent to me. I have never tried it though.

I use St. Ives apricot scrub twice a week and a face wash daily. I use a store brand version of cetaphil. I paid $7.99 and cetaphil is $15.99. I also use an astringent for sensitive skin. I find it works pretty well. I have always had pretty bad acne.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are tons of drugstore products that help so I would recommend those over proactiv. Proactiv has benzyl peroxide (spelling??) and that is the active ingredient. Just look for anything with benzyl peroxide with equal concentration in the ingredients at your drugstore and it will be equally effective. I've tried the biore products and they do help. When I used the Biore blemish healing cleanser I had no breakouts and when I stopped using anything with acne medicine i did get break outs.
Lately I've been trying to look for natural alternatives that you can do to avoid so many chemicals on my skin. What helps is a mask made of 1 tbs vinegar (not the usual vinegar but the lightly brown colored, I think it's called cider vinegar? I forget the name), 2 tbs green tea, 5 tbs sugar and some honey mixed together and used as a mask to keep on around 10-15 minutes. Honey is anti inflamatory and green tea has anti aging properties. Also you can do honey with crushed aspirin as a mask, aspirin has salicylic acid which is what's in most of the acne medicines...
What I use now is a burt's bees cleanser every day (it's not with anything against acne), do that mask twice a week and for any acne that I may have I use a spot treatment with benzyl peroxide. I find that is more natural than using some chemical on my skin like sodium laurel sulfate or parabens which are questionable.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 38 and have always had extremely sensitive skin, especially my face. The past couple years I changed facial products because of $ and what a mistake! I used Clinique for years, then tried to cheat the dollar with Oil of Olay, which is still expensive, and payed the price! After 2 years, I recently went back to Clinique products, and immediately felt and could see a difference! It could be something as simple as what you use to clean and moisturize your skin. I would definitely only use dermatologist, hypoallergenic products.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was younger I had pretty bad acne on my back. I'll still have mild breakouts. Proactiv did absolute wonders for me. It really does work if you use the whole system. I really think me being on birth control has a whole lot of influence on my clear skin though. The week I'm off it I always break out.

With my face, if I'm not religious about removing my makeup completely every single night, I'll break out. I use the Clinique 3 step system (soap, clarifying lotion, moisturizer) and it keeps my face really clear. I think they also make an acne version of the 3 step that has salicylic acid in it.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have super sensitive skin and Proactive did nothing for me. Acne Free did better, but still never cleared up it.

Differen (sp) worked great! I went to my normal Dr and got a prescription for it. Also I suggest Erno Lazo's soap. It is kinda expensive, but it works wounders and one bar last a long time.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Proactiv. It's the only thing that has kept my skin consistently clear and I've tried just about everything from drugstore brands to expensive prescription stuff. You don't have to get it shipped every 60 days if you don't want. Once you sign up, you can customize your shipping options, even getting it as far apart as every 16 weeks. You just call customer service. Their sulfur mask is awesome too. A cheaper drugstore cleanser I found that is a somewhat similar to the Proactiv cleanser is Neutrogena Clean Pore Cleanser/Mask. It works well and hasn't dried out my skin.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like Proactiv and used to use it, but I hated how if I missed I night the next morning I had new breakouts.
Neutrogena is much cheaper and worked just as well. So did AcneFree, which comes with the same step-format as Proactiv, but is sold in regular stores like Target.
Most recently I've been using Boots, which works the best for me since my skin is so sensitive and the treatment isn't as hard on my skin.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love the Avon Solutions skincare line in the green bottles, specifically for blemish prone skin, espicially the mud mask! I also like their Clearskin line a lot too!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I am 38 and have always had extremely sensitive skin, especially my face. The past couple years I changed facial products because of $ and what a mistake! I used Clinique for years, then tried to cheat the dollar with Oil of Olay, which is still expensive, and payed the price! After 2 years, I recently went back to Clinique products, and immediately felt and could see a difference! It could be something as simple as what you use to clean and moisturize your skin. I would definitely only use dermatologist, hypoallergenic products.
After reading this thread, it seems you have to try different things and use what works for you.

I tried Clinique and my face broke out in huge big bumps so I quit that in a hurry. Also, Oil of Olay doesn't work for me. I really have to use all oil free products.