So acana would be ok for male cats?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Somewhat a S/O of the orijen thread.. i am considering introducing acana my 4mo kitten is very food friendly, so i think he would respond well perhaps in the long run encouraging my adults either way though i worry with the male grain free issues.. as the bulk of my cats are males.

Orijen sites says

"Q | URINARY HEALTH - Does ORIJEN promote urinary health?\tA |\tYes. Due to the high meat content and low magnesium content, ORIJEN is naturally acidic and helps promote a healthy bladder.

ORIJEN foods have a pH of about 5.5, which is naturally mildly acidic and well suited to the maintenance of healthy bladder function in both cats and dogs."

I just don't want to start something i cannot continue, kwim?

thxs

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the phosphorus but that also plays a role in urinary health. The ph of a food does not relate to the acidity of the urine. It's the ph of the urine that the food produces that counts. So I would try the Acana and then get the ph strips and test your boy's urine.

I would stick with the grain-free foods as grains can play a role in the formation of crystals and such. Just select the ones with low magnesium.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Origin is IMHO too high in calcium and Phos ... the Acana is more in line with what is UTI certified( IMHO the chicken and lambs are okay for UTI health, realize Canada has different policies on what can be said ,,,,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Origin is IMHO too high in calcium and Phos ... the Acana is more in line with what is UTI certified( IMHO the chicken and lambs are okay for UTI health, realize Canada has different policies on what can be said ,,,,
Thanks. do we have different policies? i wouldn't know

so i would be ok in introducing Acana dry?

Now which formula would be the better choice the chicken or the lamb? i admit i lean towards the lamb as we have other chicken foods here so this would be a new protein source if i go to the lamb ... the grasslands formula i believe it is called.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

I'm not sure about the phosphorus but that also plays a role in urinary health. The ph of a food does not relate to the acidity of the urine. It's the ph of the urine that the food produces that counts. So I would try the Acana and then get the ph strips and test your boy's urine.

I would stick with the grain-free foods as grains can play a role in the formation of crystals and such. Just select the ones with low magnesium.
Thank you, i admit i am a fairly new owner of male cats, only had them since 2006... in the past it was always females so i am still trying to sort out the best feeding set-up so far though i have had no issues, my oldest male turns 4 this Aug..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GRAINS are NOT usually the culprits in a dry food and this is proven via ALL UTI certified ( IE throughly tested ) drys HAVE GRAIN and all have CORN which is the best aid in that area...

ANY food can Claim UTI stuff on the back it is the wording and it is on the front IF truly certified ... ( USA data;0 )

I know the ways of putting claims on are different

I would use the chicken as lamb can cause inflammation

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

GRAINS are NOT usually the culprits in a dry food and this is proven via ALL UTI certified ( IE throughly tested ) drys HAVE GRAIN and all have CORN which is the best aid in that area...

ANY food can Claim UTI stuff on the back it is the wording and it is on the front IF truly certified ... ( USA data;0 )

I know the ways of putting claims on are different

I would use the chicken as lamb can cause inflammation
... crud i got a trail pack of lamb
not sure if i can exchange it or not.. inflammation of what? thxs

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to admit I'm a bit confused after reading this thread. I mix Orijen with Acana in a separate container and feed the mix to Bijou. Bijou is healthy (except for getting into altercations with other cats and getting bitten and abscesses
), about 3 pounds overweight, and has a healthy coat. He has no litter box issues, i.e., he pees lots and his stool is firm but not hard (keeps fingers crossed this continues
).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have to admit I'm a bit confused after reading this thread. I mix Orijen with Acana in a separate container and feed the mix to Bijou. Bijou is healthy (except for getting into altercations with other cats and getting bitten and abscesses
), about 3 pounds overweight, and has a healthy coat. He has no litter box issues, i.e., he pees lots and his stool is firm but not hard (keeps fingers crossed this continues
).
Since to my knowledge Bijou has no history of UTI and u are mixing the two foods for a more uti friendly formula as he ages . You are doing well...

Lamb gives and takes heat to digest ... it gives off Far more heat than it takes... this warming in the digestive track can result in inflamation( this is best explained by a vet with some training in oriental medicine

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Since to my knowledge Bijou has no history of UTI and u are mixing the two foods for a more uti friendly formula as he ages . You are doing well...

Lamb gives and takes heat to digest ... it gives off Far more heat than it takes... this warming in the digestive track can result in inflamation( this is best explained by a vet with some training in oriental medicine
Thanks Jen - that cleared up my confusion.