Antibiotic Question

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Patch has some kind of a staph infection. He is being treated with Baytril 1/2 tablet once a day 68 mg. tablet. He is not a good pill taker and I have always had to mash up pills. He takes Atenonal for his heart plus an 1/4 aspirin once every third day. My question is now that he has to take this Baytril for 6 weeks. Its too big to mix he is detecting it. I was wondering if I could split the 1/2 pill and give him 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 at night. Would it still be as affective for him. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco takes Baytril everydayand it is not a good idea to give less then the vet said.
Twice a day at 1/2 the dose is not a good idea.
You can have them compounded into a liquid though.
I did that with Coco's bp meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We tried liquid and it kept separating from the food. He is so tough to give medicine to. He's not a big eater to begin with.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

...He is being treated with Baytril 1/2 tablet once a day 68 mg. tablet...
aswient- First, I'm scratching my head here...Bayrtil tablets are only available in three strengths: 15mg, 50mg and 150mg.

Where is your number of 68 coming from?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

aswient- First, I'm scratching my head here...Bayrtil tablets are only available in three strengths: 15mg, 50mg and 150mg.

Thats what's on the lablel of the medicine bottle.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how big the pill is, but would those pill pockets work?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question....I could be very wrong in saying this, and suggest you call your vet but: I would think that you could 1/2 the pill...He's still getting the full dose, just at intervals (my thoughts are based on how we humans take antibiotics, most times it 2 or 3 a day) as long as it is a pill that can be cut in half.... some can't.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'm not sure how big the pill is, but would those pill pockets work?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question....I could be very wrong in saying this, and suggest you call your vet but: I would think that you could 1/2 the pill...He's still getting the full dose, just at intervals (my thoughts are based on how we humans take antibiotics, most times it 2 or 3 a day) as long as it is a pill that can be cut in half.... some can't.
Thats my problem with my boy. You would think pill pockets would be good, but Patch, believe it or not, is such a little timid eater. For a big cat he licks his food very daintily, little tiny licks. Thats how he can detect anything. Thanks for the advice though.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at Coco's Baytril pills and hers say Baytril Taste Tabs 22.7MG(500)
I used to use pill pockets with Coco until she bit into a Baytril Pill last summer.
Can you try dropping the pill as far back as you can get it?
I do that with Coco and it works most of the time.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I just looked at Coco's Baytril pills and hers say Baytril Taste Tabs 22.7MG(500)
I used to use pill pockets with Coco until she bit into a Baytril Pill last summer.
Thats another problem with Patch, he was feral when I took him in at 4 months old and in the 5 years that I have him, he only lets me get as close as HE wants me to be. He's a tough case. Thanks for the advice though.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

They must come in different mgs because Coco gets 22.7 mg. and 22.7 mg x 3 is 68 mg. that Patch needs.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case, I would call your vet and find out if you can split the pill in half and give it to him 2x day, in your usual manner

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aswient-
So far as your original quetion goes, the manufacturer's dosing regimen allows for either single or twice-daily administration:
The dose of BaytrilÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] (brand of enrofloxacin) Tablets in cats is 5 mg/kg (2.27 mg/lb) of body weight, either as a single dose or divided into two (2) equal daily doses administered at twelve (12) hour intervals. In rare instances, use of this product in cats has been associated with retinal toxicity. Based on post approval experience, cats should be carefully monitored for clinical signs of mydriasis and/or changes in the retina. http://www.drugs.com/vet/baytril-tab...50-mg-can.html
BUT, best that you check in with the Vet.

There is an issue that you should be aware of, however. In the middle of that quote above was this tidbit:
In rare instances, use of this product in cats has been associated with retinal toxicity.
Translation: Blindness
This article goes into detail about that and there's more info here.
You need to ensure that Patch isn't getting more than 5mg per kg (2.2 pounds) of body weight per day. IF the tablets you have are 68mg, Patch should weigh at least 29.9 pounds. If he weighs less than that, he's getting too much of the drug.

I know you just said he's a large cat but, I wonder if he's that heavy. This is why I started out questioning the strength of the tablets you were given.

I'll PM you a reference where a Vet gets into a lot of detail about all this.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

aswient-
So far as your original quetion goes, the manufacturer's dosing regimen allows for either single or twice-daily administration:
BUT, best that you check in with the Vet.

There is an issue that you should be aware of, however. In the middle of that quote above was this tidbit:Translation: Blindness
This article goes into detail about that and there's more info here.
You need to ensure that Patch isn't getting more than 5mg per kg (2.2 pounds) of body weight per day. IF the tablets you have are 68mg, Patch should weigh at least 29.9 pounds. If he weighs less than that, he's getting too much of the drug.

I know you just said he's a large cat but, I wonder if he's that heavy. This is why I started out questioning the strength of the tablets you were given.

I'll PM you a reference where a Vet gets into a lot of detail about all this.
No he's not that heavy he's 18 lbs. I will have to call the Vet about this new information, Thank you very much.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

No he's not that heavy he's 18 lbs...
So, by my math...

18 pounds divided by 2.2 pounds = 8.18 x 5mg/day = 40.9 mg/day Patch's maximum recommended dosage

The original prescribed dosage of 68mg/day works out to 1 2/3 of the maximum.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

That is incorrect. Baytril is available in 22.7mg, 68mg, and 136mg if I'm not mistaken. I'm certain about the 22.7mg and the 68mg however.....

68mg does seem like a high dose though. Usually cats are prescribed one 22.7mg tablet once daily. *shrugs* I'd double check with your vet, just to be on the safe side.

As far as getting pills down him, have you tried giving it in tuna? Also, I've heard peanut butter or even butter helps with stubborn babies. Not sure how healthy that is for felines though....

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

That is incorrect. Baytril is available in 22.7mg, 68mg, and 136mg if I'm not mistaken. I'm certain about the 22.7mg and the 68mg however.....

68mg does seem like a high dose though. Usually cats are prescribed one 22.7mg tablet once daily...I'd double check with your vet, just to be on the safe side.....
Actually, CatNurse22, Baytril is indeed available in the strengths I indicated - in Canada - you'll find the individual references here.

In the US, the available strengths are as you indicated.

I was only familiar with the Canadian availability.

Now, your statement that "Usually cats are prescribed one 22.7mg tablet once daily" is patently incorrect. Baytril is one antibiotic that MUST be dosed according to the weight of the cat (or dog) - unlike, e.g., Clavamox, where the dosage for a cat is one 62.5mg tablet twice daily.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

68mg does seem like a high dose though. Usually cats are prescribed one 22.7mg tablet once daily. *shrugs* I'd double check with your vet, just to be on the safe side.

As far as getting pills down him, have you tried giving it in tuna? Also, I've heard peanut butter or even butter helps with stubborn babies. Not sure how healthy that is for felines though....

Actually, CatNurse22, Baytril is indeed available in the strengths I indicated - in Canada - you'll find the individual references here.

Now, your statement that "Usually cats are prescribed one 22.7mg tablet once daily" is patently incorrect. Baytril is one antibiotic that MUST be dosed according to the weight of the cat (or dog) - unlike, e.g., Clavamox, where the dosage for a cat is one 62.5mg tablet twice daily.
This is a perfect example of why it is dangerous to give or receive medical information via internet. Because there are many countries on this site, we must be very careful what we post about medically.

To the OP - if you have questions regarding the medication or dosages you are giving your cat, your vet or a second opinion from another vet is the way to go. We have no vets on this site and even if we did, nobody can diagnose your animal over the internet. We can share experiences and strongly suggest you discuss what you learn from those shared experiences with your own vet.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thus suggesting the use of usually.... Yes, it is by weight. Cats (at least compared to dogs) are usually in the same weight range. And no vet is going to 1/8 or 1/16 a tablet because it's a few tenths of a mg off (or even a mg or two) for the recommended dosage for a certain weight.

Let's not turn this into a debate about something that is ultimately completely off topic of the OP.