The faces behind the euthanasia statistics

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are just a few of the faces behind the euthanasia statistics.

These guys are a minute few among the 3 - 4 million pets euthanized in shelters in the US each year. Most all were euthanized due to behavior of health issues - not because their "time was up".

Several of these kittens were "just one litter". Some the owner simply grew tired of. Several had litterbox issues due to declawing. Some had an array of preventable health issues, some had behavioral issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As the full brunt of kitten seasons begins, so do many more lives end. When will this death end? When will people begin to spay/neuter ALL their cats (whether they be "just farm cats" or not)? When will people understand the heartbreak, the tears shed, the sleepless nights, the death.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew it, I knew I should not opened this thread...
Oh Nat, how can you deal with it?
RIP all these kitties that were taken forcefully to the bridge much before their times

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Nat,

thanks for posting these pictures, as sad and heart breaking as it is.

Yes, you're right- things would be so much better if every cat friend kept an eye open for strays in their area and had them neutered or if more people would realize that adopting an older cat is so rewarding and intersting- the first time a shy cat comes up for a timid cuddle is priceless.

As much as I love kittens I wish that more people would decide against having just one litter.

sad regards,

Christine

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

Hi Nat,

thanks for posting these pictures, as sad and heart breaking as it is.

Yes, you're right- things would be so much better if every cat friend kept an eye open for strays in their area and had them neutered or if more people would realize that adopting an older cat is so rewarding and intersting- the first time a shy cat comes up for a timid cuddle is priceless.

As much as I love kittens I wish that more people would decide against having just one litter.

sad regards,

Christine
Well said.

RIP lil
's

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat, bless you for having the courage to post these pix!!! As utterly heartbreaking as it was to see those precious faces, it gave me a chance to truly look and each and every one and give a prayer that they find a special little angel to call their own
I believe in Jesus' words that not even a sparrow dies without our God caring (sorry if I offend anyone with my beliefs, but they are mine, and I don't expect everyone to feel or believe the same way - it's just what was put into my heart); these little ones are safe now, and finally home.....and it does give me the motivation to muster on in my own rescue work....Bless you for being there - they are all so beautiful, it must be so hard to see them get euthanized
. Sending mega prayers and vibes for continued encouragement

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's just breaks my heart.

I've admired those kittens in your avatar, and I knew they were at a shelter, but I didn't know they were gone now.

I hope all of them are no longer confused, hurt, and lonely. I hope all their troubles have passed and they are playing happily at the bridge.

It's really powerful to put the faces there, to separate the individuals from the statistics. Many people also assume that kittens and puppies will always be adopted from shelters because "everyone will want them." This also proves that's not the case.

Will people ever learn? Will animals always suffer from ignorance, irresponsibilty, and often cruelty at our hands?

I used to volunteer at the humane society, but it was too far away and I couldn't afford the gas to drive so far from my rural area. The other day I started looking for closer ones and writing down phone numbers, email addresses, and web sites for ones that are possibilites. I have to help.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad. I made up my mind ages ago that when I next get a cat it will be from a shelter. It is a no-kill one but I still wish I could take them all home. How do you choose just one or two?

Looking at those pictures they could just as well be pictures from the members cats. So sad it has to end for them this way.

Rest In Peace

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Adding another
What a cutie and he or she looks quite young, too. This kitty looks a bit like my boy Schröder in younger years

I hope he's gone over the rainbow bridge in peace and I for one won't forget him.

sad regards,

Christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tuesday he died, his body was shutting down due to some severe health problems, no longer eating, drinking, or going potty.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm soo sorry to hear that.
He was definitely a looker and he had a really sweet face. I would have taken him in a minute.
RIP little guy.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't have opened this, either. My eyes are all teared up. It is SO sad.
RIP beautiful kitties.
You deserved better than this.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This makes me so sad. We rescued a little girl at christmas from a kill shelter. I wish I could have done more for these innocent souls.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its easy for most people to take little responsibility for their cats, or even to abandon their cats at shelters because they may not know what goes on behind the scenes. Even if they knew their cats would be killed, they would not be there to witness it. They won't see their cats getting stressed, see the needle go in, see the body convulse and go limp. They only know that they themselves won't have to go through the inconvenience of scooping litter and getting cat hair out of their clothes anymore.

Sometimes I wish I could shove a knife into the hands of people who want to give up their pets for no good reason and ask them to kill their pets themselves. See if they can do it, see if they can reconcile the fact that their pet will die after being abandoned.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that last April, our shelter took a photo of every cat euthanized, before and after. I don't know the reason, but if I were the director, I would put an ad in the paper with every one of their pictures, just so people could get an idea of what the problem is.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I know that last April, our shelter took a photo of every cat euthanized, before and after. I don't know the reason, but if I were the director, I would put an ad in the paper with every one of their pictures, just so people could get an idea of what the problem is.
That's a good idea, Mike, but so many people don't want to know, especially if they are part of the problem themselves.

This is such a heartbreaking thread, and one I've had to steel myself to open. RIP, sweeties. I'm sorry that this had to happen to you.