Help? Pax is breathing funny....

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am full aware no one here is a vet.
Yes I am full aware that Pax needs to see a vet.
My vet's office is getting a call first thing tomorrow morning. (we have an appt for Tues. but I don't think this can wait).

I'm looking for any remote ideas as to what might be wrong so I can prepare myself, and support. I have a very bad feeling about it.

It started last night.... I thought he was out of breath from playing with his brother. He was breathing funny, sorta making a clicking noise while breathing and just laying there. He would walk if I lifted him ( I don't think he fell and broke anything) but had no interest in anything (food/water/didn't purr). I thought he was tired from horseplay. Hindsight says I'm wrong, and he is lethargic. I also noticed some clear discharge from his nose.

Today he seems better, but is still breathing funny and this is what scares me. I think he has lost weight, dramatically. The last pics I posted were taken on the 18th. He was fine...playful, eating, etc. But today, I can FEEL his backbone and his ribs.....I never used to be able to, and that includes the last time I sat with them for 2hrs on the 18th. When he's laying, you can "see" his heartbeat.

But he actually purred when I pet him today and was moving more. I'm about to go up and offer a food that they both really like, and see if he'll eat that.

If you have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with him, I would appreciate it so I can google and see what I may be into. I'm scared, he seems so fragile..... I don't know what to do.

He's 13wks, and has been dewormed and had his first set of shots (4wks ago due for booster on Tues. appt), always ate well, drank, played, etc.

He is not crying....I've underline his main symptoms. Any advice, or even support would be appreciated. (his brother is fine...active, healthy weight, can't feel any bones like I can with Pax)

This came on very suddenly. I can take a video if it would help?

Again, I know noone is a vet, and I know that he needs to see one.... soonest I can do it is call my vet tomorrow morning when they open.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't suggest anything, no experience with this. But many many Prayers and for Pax and you.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have some kind of infection.
I hope he will be ok.
My Meeko was like when she was 3 months and it turned out she had a heart murmur and was very anemic.
Her sister died before we could get to the vet.
Meeko weighed 1 pound then.
Sometimes kittens are fine then very sick the next minute.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing there's no emergency vet you can take him to? I have no idea what could be wrong, but if there's any way you can see an e-vet, I would consider it. Kittens can turn so fast.

You may want to find ot where the nearest e-vet is, and have their number on hand for if he takes any turn for the worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm guessing there's no emergency vet you can take him to? I have no idea what could be wrong, but if there's any way you can see an e-vet, I would consider it. Kittens can turn so fast.

You may want to find ot where the nearest e-vet is, and have their number on hand for if he takes any turn for the worse.
I know, and that's why I'm worried. Soonest I can get in is tomorrow morning.

His breathing seems slightly better now, and he purrs when I pet him... He went pee in the box.. he seems to have no issues moving, but its like he doesn't want to if he doesn't have to.

No interest in food, I smeared some wet on his lips and he licked it off but that was it. I gave him a little bit of water in the side of his cheek that he drank. His pee looked fine, no discoloration or blood or anything. Slight discharge from his nose, clear. Can't see his 3rd eyelid.

Hoping my vet will tell me I'm panicking over something minor.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you called the vet and left a message?? often they will have a ER or after hours number on the machine

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for you - I hope you're able to locate an evet soon. My vets' practice has an emergency number and service they work with; I hope yours does as well.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh poor little Pax!!
I'm so sorry he's not feeling well and unfortunately I have no ideas or experiences that I can share. I'm not sure I know what you're describing as a clicking sound when he breathes...Did you count his breaths per minute? I think around 30 breaths per minute is normal. I used to do this when I was worrying Jake was breathing too fast or too loud. Do his paws and ears feel warmer? I've had scares with Jake where I've been sure he was lethargic, he slept all day and barely ate anything and freaked out but it just turned out he had a lazy day that's all...especially when he was a younger kitten. I'm hoping that you are worrying for nothing too!!
Please update us when and if you can, I want to know how baby Pax is feeling.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg I hear it
Poor baby! I hope it's not serious. He looks so precious sitting there so quietly. I'm sending some MAJOR vibes that the vet visit goes well tomorrow!! I'll be thinking about him tomorrow morning.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only just seen this thread and hopefully you are within hours of seeing a vet now, but it sounds as if your kitty has an upper respiritory infection, the clicking sounds like a blocked nose to me - it can help to pop them in a steam filled bathroom for a short space of time - while you're running a hot shower for example - it can help to clean out the sinuses and ease nasal congestion (don't leave him unattended or let him get into any water, just take him in there for a few minutes to get some steam).

In terms of feeding, they can really lose their appetite if their nose is blocked and they can't smell their food - heating up their food a bit (not so hot that it could burn, obviously) can really help, or feeding something with a strong smell can trigger the appetite.

Go to see the vet at the first appointment you can get, but this may help in the meantime - it is not an alternative to vet care.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI Chris
I am so sorry I am only reading this right now... Sorry my friend
It sounds to me like Pax has an URI; I don't remember, so forgive me if I am wrong, but doesn't Kizzy have Herpes/URI? Maybe Pax caught it?
I second the advice for the steam baths, and also try to give him some food - even if you need to syringe feed a little diluted wet food; make sure he gets water too... He needs to eat and drink. Vibes for him to get better - please update us tomorrow!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Only just seen this thread and hopefully you are within hours of seeing a vet now, but it sounds as if your kitty has an upper respiritory infection, the clicking sounds like a blocked nose to me - it can help to pop them in a steam filled bathroom for a short space of time - while you're running a hot shower for example - it can help to clean out the sinuses and ease nasal congestion (don't leave him unattended or let him get into any water, just take him in there for a few minutes to get some steam).

In terms of feeding, they can really lose their appetite if their nose is blocked and they can't smell their food - heating up their food a bit (not so hot that it could burn, obviously) can really help, or feeding something with a strong smell can trigger the appetite.

Go to see the vet at the first appointment you can get, but this may help in the meantime - it is not an alternative to vet care.
Thank you so much.... I will try that later this morning. Kizzy had URI's, but never sounded like this.

Update: vet can squeeze me in at 3:15.

Pax seems alright....same as yesterday only slightly more alert. I didn't see any nasal secretions, but his breathing is still yucky.

Kizzy hasn't had URI in a while....I don't know how long it stays in the environment but it is possible Pax caught it from Kizzy.

Kizzy doesn't have herpes, that we know of..... however he might be chronic carrier of URI's, still not sure on that one....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Good luck with the vet appt.
Thx

I did the shower thing.... it helped his breathing for about 5mins... He hasn't eaten that I've seen.

I tried dabbing wet food on his mouth, he licked it off 2 times, the 3rd he just left it there

I am impatiently waiting the vet appt. I'm hoping he will be ok, and that it is just a URI (I know saying "just" a URI is not the right words, but I mean rather than a terminal illness or something much worse than uri).

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If that little baby is not eating, you need to assist feed him . He can go downhill so quickly. He can develop hepatic lipidosis. He needs to be syringe fed watered down kitten food. You can put in the cheek of his mouth. Pedialyte will also help him. Being lethargic is not a good sign especially for a kitten and a sign that intervention needs to happen taken ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.