My kitten has stopped peeing in the litterbox, why?

tahroh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yesterday, i gave my kitten some capstar and treated her with frontline and she peed on a blanket... i figured the fleas freaking out may have made her panic causing her to just let go. but then again today, i left the room for a few minutes and she peed on my bed. she is still pooping in her litter box so i can't explain it. she is 14 weeks and i don't think she has gone into heat yet. i have been packing up my belongings and changing the room around in preparation for a move, could that be a cause?

thanks.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it could certainly be that you're changing her environment, which is making her uncomfortable. at 14 weeks, I'm guessing you really haven't had her that long, so she was probably just getting used to "home", and now it's changing again. Sometimes an anxious kitty will do this.

Right now I would say that you need to watch for her pre-potty behaviors if you've pin-pointed any. (crying, circling, sniffing, and the obvious squat) If you see her acting that way, run her to box. Otherwise just keep things like fabric and paper picked up off the floor, as those can become attractive places to void.

I hope that some of the other TCS members can give you some other insight and better suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tahroh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah i have only had her two months, but we bonded instantly, she meows whenever i leave and gives me those little love nips (she pushes with her back feet when she does though, i have never seen a cat do that).

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tahroh

yesterday, i gave my kitten some capstar and treated her with frontline and she peed on a blanket... i figured the fleas freaking out may have made her panic causing her to just let go. but then again today, i left the room for a few minutes and she peed on my bed. she is still pooping in her litter box so i can't explain it. she is 14 weeks and i don't think she has gone into heat yet. i have been packing up my belongings and changing the room around in preparation for a move, could that be a cause?

thanks.
It definitely could be that she's stressed because of the environmental changes. Try putting in Feliway plugins around the place. Make sure to keep the routines that you have (feeding times, etc.) so she still feels there's some reliable stability.
Some cats also prefer a litter box to poop in and a litter box to pee in, so you could also try adding another litterbox.
Make sure the litterbox is clean and you scoop at least daily.
There's always the possibility it could be a UTI, so have her tested just in case.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what everyone above said - changes and stress can definitely cause litter box issues, but a vet check never hurts. I had excellent luck with Cat Attract litter (there's also an additive you can use with your regular litter). And don't forget she may be picking up on your pre-move stress as well - cats seems awfully sensitive to our emotions.

And, my girl cat definitely wanted to show me her opinion of Revolution last month when I used it on her the first time -- she waited til we were all in the front room, and she peed in the nice crystal bowl on the coffee table which usually contains catnip - and made sure I knew about it!
That was the only time though.